The router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Since the last update I hadn't done a speedtest on my PS4. I used to be able to do a speedtest and the antibufferbloat would not engage as its set for high priority traffic only and it was never triggered by just doing a speed test, it only did when playing games. Now it takes ages to work out my NAT type (Type 2) and the speeds shown are those you would expect with antibufferbloat enabled at 70% for my line and the high priority traffic light comes on, also it now says "The router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation, and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted.

Not quite sure what's happened here, also UPnP is not showing the PS4 in the UPnP tables still, although I'm not sure if a PS4 speed test would trigger UPnP port mapping. It seems only Skype triggers both TCP and UDP. Something has changed in this update unless this is now how its meant to be now regarding the PS4 speed test being high priority traffic also PS4 background traffic is triggering antibufferbloat now and then too, but I should not be getting the IP Fragmentation message surely?

Guest Killhippie

Awhile back we specifically implemented something to prevent that fragmentation issue. Hard turn off the console then wait for high priority to disappear then turn it on

Hard turn offf as power down and pull the plug? Just to confirm.

Guest Killhippie

Didn’t help. Speedtest recognised as high priority traffic gets stuck on working out what NAT type way to long (it does complete to NAT type 2) and then gives that message. Rebooted router same result too.

• Administrators

Didn’t help. Speedtest recognised as high priority traffic gets stuck on working out what NAT type way to long (it does complete to NAT type 2) and then gives that message. Rebooted router same result too.

Have you changed NAT from secured to open by any chance?

Guest Killhippie

Have you changed NAT from secured to open by any chance?

No I always run with NAT secured. On the previous firmware I could run the PS4 Speedtest and it wouldn’t show as high-priority traffic and everything completed fine, on this version it’s picking up the PS4 as high-priority traffic straightaway which it’s never done before. Also in the router logs you can see when the PS4 is standby mode it checks for updates and the router applies antibufferbloat briefly too at these times.

Guest Killhippie

Disable Traffic Prio does IP frag go away?

Alas it does not Fraser. Still gets stuck for ages on NAT. When re-enabling high priority it turns on as soon as the PS4 hits the home screen. Once again it never did that before, it only did it when you started a game.

Guest Killhippie

It might actually be the Geo-Filter blocking the NAT server causing it to be slow and think you have an IP fragment issue. Remove from Geo and try again

same result. I’ve seen this before with Netgear routers, something is changed in the firmware so when the PS4 checks the nat type of the router it’s causing an issue, and it thinks the router does not support ip fragmentation. The speeds check finishes and NAT type 2 is as it should be but for some reason it’s taking too long to recognise the NAT type in the first place. Sometimes it’s the MTU but I have changed that to 1492 which is what I use and it’s still no good. Also I thought ‘when high priority traffic is detected’ is there so you can download game patches etc at full speed and the antibufferbloat only kicking in when gaming? This behaviour has changed since the previous firmware so is this an intentional change?

Guest Killhippie

I'll have to look into it then, don't believe we changed anything so maybe a Netgear/PS4 change that counteracted it so will look into it. Not intentional.

Thanks Fraser, your quick responses are appreciated as always. Look forward to a fix for what ever is causing this, I was wondering if it was something to do with the DPI engine recognising anything to do with PlayStation traffic and instantly changing devices to PlayStation consoles as in the official PlayStation website on my iMac and PlayStation messenger on my iPad which are obviously both not consoles but which the router changed both to PlayStation in device manager? Good to know that this behaviour is not how it should be though thanks for the update.

Guest Killhippie

Just a quick update the XR500 after re-applying my Geo Filter position and  game profile settings is now letting the PS4 not engage high priority traffic for the home screen but it still engages in a speedtest on the PS4 and IP fragmentation is still present when it gets stuck on the routers NAT type (Type 2) It takes maybe 15-20 seconds to work out the routers nat type when in the previous firmware this was not the case, also in previous firmware's you could see the full download speed of your line using the PS4 speed test facility as Antibufferbloat did not kick in using the speedtest. Thought I would update you on this. :)

• Administrators

Just a quick update the XR500 after re-applying my Geo Filter position and  game profile settings is now letting the PS4 not engage high priority traffic for the home screen but it still engages in a speedtest on the PS4 and IP fragmentation is still present when it gets stuck on the routers NAT type (Type 2) It takes maybe 15-20 seconds to work out the routers nat type when in the previous firmware this was not the case, also in previous firmware's you could see the full download speed of your line using the PS4 speed test facility as Antibufferbloat did not kick in using the speedtest. Though I would update you on this. :)

Ok, thanks for the update. Good to know. @Fraser - could you pass onto NETGEAR please.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Killhippie

Hi Fraser, on mine I have the XR500 set to detect high priority traffic, the PS4 Pro due to sheer distance is using Wi-Fi 5Ghz as it supports 802.11ac. The PS4 Pro has its IP set in DHCP reservation on the XR500. To make things as simple as possible Antibufferbloat at 70/70. Since when launching a console speed test the test is detected as gaming traffic. On the last firmware version 2.2.1.10 you could run a speed test and it would not be detected as gaming traffic. Since the new version it always kicks in so my 55Mbps line on the consoles speedtest at 70/70 comes out at roughly 38Mbps. It used to come out near enough 54Mbps on the last firmware.

As it goes though the process of the speed test it stays on Nat Type for longer than it used to and takes ages to complete that part. This triggers the IP fragmentation warning even though it completes as Nat type 2. Previous firmware did not have this issue. Console is in filtering mode (Destiny profile) and DumaOS Classified Games is ticked. Hope that helps, same set up as in previous firmware 2.2.1.10 Oh MTU is 1492 WAN connection type is PPPoE Vlan tag is 101 this is set by the routers auto configuration.

• Administrators

Okay this makes more sense. 

Firstly we don't have a PS4 Pro to test with so 5GHz could have something to do with it but I followed the other steps. 

The speed test itself is not detected as high priority traffic otherwise you would get full speeds. The communication the console has with its servers is being prioritized which is then causing the speed test itself to be throttled so this is expected behaviour. I couldn't get the fragmentation issue though. 

Could be related to:

PS4 Pro
5GHz

MTU - Would be the likely candidate, set to auto does it still appear?

PPPoE
Vlan

Any chance you could isolate the issue to one of these?

Guest Killhippie

Okay this makes more sense. 

Could be related to:

PS4 Pro

5GHz

MTU - Would be the likely candidate, set to auto does it still appear?

PPPoE

Vlan

Any chance you could isolate the issue to one of these?

The thing is nothing changed set up wise from the last firmware to this firmware as far as my set up. I’ll try in the morning having a play but MTU is correct and it’s it’s on Auto. So that cancels those two out, the latest PS4's fours use 5GHz 802ac anyway so that shouldn’t be a problem, but I’ll try 2.4ghz. I have seen this issue occur when UPnP changes or firewall changes were made with other netgear routers before, on my R7000 and R7800 both had the same issue it was down to netgear then. So it may not be your side at all but I’ll try the things you’ve pointed out and get back to you in the morning, Fraser.

Guest Killhippie

Well I tried using 2.4Ghz and no change, Vlan and PPPoE were the same in previous firmware, so I can only think its something to do with UPnP possibly as that that was changed in this firmware. I think this is a netgear issue and as I mentioned I have seen it before with some Netgear firmware updates, I was wondering if the routers congestion algorithm could cause this?

• Administrators

Well I tried using 2.4Ghz and no change, Vlan and PPPoE were the same in previous firmware, so I can only think its something to do with UPnP possibly as that that was changed in this firmware. I think this is a netgear issue and as I mentioned I have seen it before with some Netgear firmware updates, I was wondering if the routers congestion algorithm could cause this?

I've sent you a PM, please try to reproduce with that firmware.

Possibly but unlikely, can try disabling QoS completely if PM doesn't work.

Guest Killhippie

I've sent you a PM, please try to reproduce with that firmware.

Possibly but unlikely, can try disabling QoS completely if PM doesn't work.

I won’t have time today to load that up. I’ll do it in the morning and get back to you. :)

Guest Killhippie

Tried the new firmware and the issue seems to be gone. I’ll keep an eye on it for next couple of days just to make sure, but also when I had that warning I had no ill effects so I don’t think it’s anything particularly serious and as I said I’ve seen it before anyway many times on various Netgear routers on some firmware versions. It will be great though if Netgear push that firmware update out because I think quite a few people for various reasons are looking for it to fix their problems. Sorry the reply was so late today. Thanks for the help Fraser.