Forced to Reboot XR500 Daily - XB1X Can't Find Teredo IP Address

I just picked up the XR500 after reading some reviews and from the recommendation of friends.  This issue has plagued me daily since getting the router.

I keep getting a "Can't find Teredo IP Address" error for my Xbox One X (wired, Alpha updates).  I have a Xbox One Day One (Wi-Fi, Alpha updates) in another part of the house and it doesn't get the same issue.  It sometimes goes moderate on COD WII though. I also have a PS4 but haven't seen any issues except for it collecting dust.

I did set up Port Triggering rather than Forwarding.  Could that be part of my issues?  It looks like some other people are having similar difficulties but I can't make out where to start.

Please let me know if you need additional information.  I'm somewhat of a networking noob but I usually figure things out.

Thanks,

Ken

are you connected to a modem or modem/router? If it is a modem/router then you need to make sure upnp is disabled on that device along with any prior port forwarding/triggering rules you may have had running for starters. Also if it is a modem/router then add the ip address assigned to your XR500 to it's DMZ section of your modem/router!

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! The advice from Big Dog above is great so let us know about his questions etc. In my experience this issue can be solved with resets / reboots in a seemingly random or unpredictable way. I'd recommend rebooting your Modem with the Netduma and Xbox connected. If that does nothing, turn off your Modem, Xbox and your XR500. Then wait 5 minutes and turn on your Modem. Wait another minute then turn on the XR500. When it's booted up, start up your console and check if the issue is still persisting.

are you connected to a modem or modem/router? If it is a modem/router then you need to make sure upnp is disabled on that device along with any prior port forwarding/triggering rules you may have had running for starters. Also if it is a modem/router then add the ip address assigned to your XR500 to it's DMZ section of your modem/router!

I have a modem (Netgear SM500) to router connection and I have Upnp active.

Hi, welcome to the forum! The advice from Big Dog above is great so let us know about his questions etc. In my experience this issue can be solved with resets / reboots in a seemingly random or unpredictable way. I'd recommend rebooting your Modem with the Netduma and Xbox connected. If that does nothing, turn off your Modem, Xbox and your XR500. Then wait 5 minutes and turn on your Modem. Wait another minute then turn on the XR500. When it's booted up, start up your console and check if the issue is still pe

Thank you. I have been rebooting each device and hard resetting the console when this issue occurs. Haven't tried waiting very long after shutting it down. I'll give that a try next time it happens.

It's just frustrating being a new expensive modem and having to go through this daily.

I appreciate the support and look forward to learning more.

I have a modem (

I have a modem (Netgear SM500) to router connection and I have Upnp active.

) to router connection and I have Upnp active.

Agh........You say you have upnp active, but you have also said you are using port triggering. You can't use both at the same time, this causes conflicts. Disable all port triggering rules and make sure upnp is enabled. Upnp will make sure all ports needed are open if you are using multiple consoles.

Agh........You say you have upnp active, but you have also said you are using port triggering. You can't use both at the same time, this causes conflicts. Disable all port triggering rules and make sure upnp is enabled. Upnp will make sure all ports needed are open if you are using multiple consoles.

Oh I was unaware. I setup the port forwarding out of habit I guess.  Every router before this one I had to open the ports so I just looked up ports and added them.  I'll make sure to delete them all when I get home later today.

Thanks for pointing out the conflict.  I have a lot to learn.  It's been 5 years since I last messed with my router outside of basic reboots and firmware updates.

• Netduma Staff

Oh I was unaware. I setup the port forwarding out of habit I guess.  Every router before this one I had to open the ports so I just looked up ports and added them.  I'll make sure to delete them all when I get home later today.

Thanks for pointing out the conflict.  I have a lot to learn.  It's been 5 years since I last messed with my router outside of basic reboots and firmware updates.

Let us know if you encounter any more issues and we'll be happy to help :D

So far turning of the port triggering and leaving the Upnp active has worked.  Still get moterate connection on my wireless connected 2nd Xbox though.  I hard reset when i last finished using it so we'll see if it opens up next time it use.

Thanks for the pointing out the conflict between Upnp and port forwarding.

• Administrators

That’s great to hear. Yes, try hard resetting your Xbox and it should hopefully have an open NAT too. Let us know if not

This issue happens all the time. modem to router hardwired to xbox. Have to unplug the router 5 times a day. what is the cause of this issue?

You shouldn’t need to reset to get an open NAT. Make sure you have UPNP enabled and disable any port forwarding rules.

As I said in the other topic - if you’d like to get to the bottom of this please create a new topic and we will help you there.

So far turning of the port triggering and leaving the Upnp active has worked.  Still get moterate connection on my wireless connected 2nd Xbox though.  I hard reset when i last finished using it so we'll see if it opens up next time it use.

You could add your 2nd xbox to the xr500s dmz which will open all ports for that console to give you open nat!

In WAN Setup on the router settings page, you can select NAT Filtering to Open and it may help you get Open NAT on both Xbox consoles.

In WAN Setup on the router settings page, you can select NAT Filtering to Open and it may help you get Open NAT on both Xbox consoles.

that basically disables the firewall, not a good idea which is why I did not suggest it.

that basically disables the firewall, not a good idea which is why I did not suggest it.

salut BIG__DOG désolé c'est en français mais si il met Nat sur open il désactive le pare-feu dans le xr500 mais le pare-feu du modem devrait continué à filtrer le trafic entrant ?

salut BIG__DOG désolé c'est en français mais si il met Nat sur open il désactive le pare-feu dans le xr500 mais le pare-feu du modem devrait continué à filtrer le trafic entrant ?

Hi.

If he has a basic modem then it may not have much of a firewall at all, some modems do have a basic firewall but not all of them.If he has a modem/router then that firewall would more than likely be sufficient........If that is not the case and his XR500 is handling all the traffic routing only behind a modem then it is not a good idea to select open nat filtering.

Salut. S'il a un modem de base alors il peut ne pas avoir beaucoup de pare-feu, certains modems ont un pare-feu de base, mais pas tous. S'il a un modem / routeur alors ce pare-feu serait plus que probablement suffisant ... ..... Si ce n'est pas le cas et que son XR500 gère tout le routage du trafic uniquement derrière un modem, il n'est pas conseillé de sélectionner le filtrage natif ouvert.

Hi.

If he has a basic modem then it may not have much of a firewall at all, some modems do have a basic firewall but not all of them.If he has a modem/router then that firewall would more than likely be sufficient........If that is not the case and his XR500 is handling all the traffic routing only behind a modem then it is not a good idea to select open nat filtering.

Salut. S'il a un modem de base alors il peut ne pas avoir beaucoup de pare-feu, certains modems ont un pare-feu de base, mais pas tous. S'il a un modem / routeur alors ce pare-feu serait plus que probablement suffisant ... ..... Si ce n'est pas le cas et que son XR500 gère tout le routage du trafic uniquement derrière un modem, il n'est pas conseillé de sélectionner le filtrage natif ouvert.

oui effectivement vu comme sa si il a une config modem-> xr500 ou ONT->xr500 ou un mode bridge il y a des risque mais si c'est une config routeur/modem-> xr500 avec un pare-feu actif côté modem routeur sa devrait le faire ^^

The can't find Teredo address is back. Hard reset everything and still it lingers. After a few hours of working on this.  I bought a warranty replacement plan for this router and factory reset it after going through Xbox's tutorials for the Teredo issue.  This is frustrating

• Administrators

Last thing I would suggest is disabling the Geo-Filter before booting up the console but the most likely cause is the Alpha updates you're receiving from the console as if you've followed all the advice in this topic you shouldn't have any issues. Can you revert back to normal updates for one of the consoles and see if it behaves normally please.

It's just the Xbox One X (wired) that seems to be having these issues.  The other Xbox One setup on wireless hasn't seen the Teredo issues and is on the same Insider program.  I'll get off the super early Alpha updates on the Xbox One X I guess.

It's just frustrating jumping through all these hoops because I never saw this stuff with my old ASUS RT-N66U I had the last 5 years.  I also have friends that have this router and they haven't had to go through this.

Thanks for the support.  I want to figure this out.

@Netduma Fraser, I have also experienced the Teredo error on my Xbox 1X but I do not have the alpha program on that system. However, I was able to resolve the issue with your UPNP suggestion that you mentioned earlier in the thread and since then it has not popped up. (fingers crossed)

OK I just did an experiment with a 5 for 5 result.  If I have the Xbox One X listed as one of my devices and under filtering mode for geo-filtering i get the Teredo IP address error.  If I have no devices listed it works fine.  I did zero reboots during this test.  So does this mean I basically can't use geo-filtering and miss out on one of the main unique things this router offers?

• Administrators

OK I just did an experiment with a 5 for 5 result.  If I have the Xbox One X listed as one of my devices and under filtering mode for geo-filtering i get the Teredo IP address error.  If I have no devices listed it works fine.  I did zero reboots during this test.  So does this mean I basically can't use geo-filtering and miss out on one of the main unique things this router offers?

All it means is the Geo-Filter is blocking the server that reads the NAT status. It doesn't mean at all that you have a strict NAT. If you're still concerned switch device to spectating mode for boot up of console/game then change to filtering mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool I'll try that.

Funny thing I'm getting new Internet on Saturday. I'll have to switch setup to a bridge setting because provider forces you to use their modem/router

Argh I'm really getting salty with this router. For the last couple nights I've been experiencing random drops. Tonight I got kicked off Xbox Live at the end of a match and was forced to reboot because the dam Teredo error showed up again. I didn't even have the geo-filter on since I now turn it off nightly as a shutdown routine.

This router is requiring too much of my time and is really frustrating.

I can taste how good this router can be but, I keep getting bitter. I might have to look at an alternative option.

• Administrators

Does the teredo error prevent you playing games? If not then you do not have to force yourself to do reboots everyday. If the Geo-Filter isn't on when you get it then thats to do with NAT. 

Did you see anything blocked on the Geo-Filter when you were kicked at the end of the match?