Upnp and static ip

• Administrators

Is this issue still happening Victor? Please check again as all other users are no longer experiencing this problem so it seems very obscure.

• Netduma Staff

yes

So just to clarify - in the last screenshot you sent, which game are you playing? Is your setup Modem > XR500 > All Devices (including your consoles)? Are your consoles connected via Ethernet? The more information you could provide the better - we'll likely be testing for this next week to see if we can replicate it, as well as potentially raising this with Netgear for investigation.

Hi Guys,

I think I may have come across something that may help you hunt this down relating to static ip not showing any ports in upnp sometimes:

If you assign a hard static IP to a device (static IP forced into network card) that is not in the DHCP scope of the router --  I believe it does open upnp ports requested, but it is not reflected in the upnp list. Perhaps it works sometimes, but not reliably.

To test,  Set a hard static IP to a device on the network ex 192.168.1.5 manually in its network config, *outside* of the router DHCP scope.

This .5 address will not show any upnp requests in the list (but I believe it still does do it, just doesn't show)

If you set the router to use entire range in DHCP scope ex. 192.168.1.2 to .254 available

..and then set this static IP device as reserved (Settings, LAN Setup, Address Reservation) 

..reserve 192.168.1.5 to that devices MAC address,

..and then you set the hard static ip device to Obtain IP address automatically --- now it will show upnp requests in the upnp list. As if the router is now aware/sees this device...as long as it has assigned it an IP from its DHCP server.

^^ which defeats the purpose of static IP (if you have to go through all that to give it a faux static IP)

Note this is on official .22 (have not tried it on.10 beta w/internet drop fix yet..)

xr500user

So just to clarify - in the last screenshot you sent, which game are you playing? Is your setup Modem > XR500 > All Devices (including your consoles)? Are your consoles connected via Ethernet? The more information you could provide the better - we'll likely be testing for this next week to see if we can replicate it, as well as potentially raising this with Netgear for investigation.

cod. yes. via ethernet.

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

I think I may have come across something that may help you hunt this down relating to static ip not showing any ports in upnp sometimes:

If you assign a hard static IP to a device (static IP forced into network card) that is not in the DHCP scope of the router --  I believe it does open upnp ports requested, but it is not reflected in the upnp list. Perhaps it works sometimes, but not reliably.

To test,  Set a hard static IP to a device on the network ex 192.168.1.5 manually in its network config, *outside* of the router DHCP scope.

This .5 address will not show any upnp requests in the list (but I believe it still does do it, just doesn't show)

If you set the router to use entire range in DHCP scope ex. 192.168.1.2 to .254 available

..and then set this static IP device as reserved (Settings, LAN Setup, Address Reservation) 

..reserve 192.168.1.5 to that devices MAC address,

..and then you set the hard static ip device to Obtain IP address automatically --- now it will show upnp requests in the upnp list. As if the router is now aware/sees this device...as long as it has assigned it an IP from its DHCP server.

^^ which defeats the purpose of static IP (if you have to go through all that to give it a faux static IP)

Note this is on official .22 (have not tried it on.10 beta w/internet drop fix yet..)

xr500user

Thanks for this info! We'll pass it onto NETGEAR

cod. yes. via ethernet.

Could you just double check you're definitely on the latest version. Try installing this version here (ignore the fact the version names are the same): https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.22

• Administrators

Ok, thanks. Are you available for a 1-1 tomorrow? Fraser can take a look at this for you (he is not in the office today)/.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Ok - could you factory reset please and see if it is then ok.  UPNP should be populating like normal now as it has been very well tested. Thanks. 

On 9/17/2018 at 7:27 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Ok - could you factory reset please and see if it is then ok.  UPNP should be populating like normal now as it has been very well tested. Thanks. 

still does not show me ports after the reset

On 6/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, Victor-Yout said:

so now it shows me two ports. but there have to more for example udp 3074. i changed nothing in my setup or settings.

post-5927-0-84568700-1529683581_thumb.png

its for every game and device.

one time it showd two ports but they disappeared, they were from my smartphone. i changed nothing in my settings before or after they populated.but  at the time i made the screenshot i was playing cod with an open nat, but no ports showed up

• Administrators

I’ve just had an idea - is your modem also a router? If so, could you set it to modem mode or ‘bridge mode’

If there’s no option for this, could you disable UPNP on your modem (make sure it’s enabled on your XR500). I can only think the reason you’re not seeing anything on the XR500 is because your modem is doing all the work. 

Also - are you getting an Open Nat? If so, it’s probably not worth worrying too much about this. I appreciate not showing the ports is not helpful, but if performance is not affected then it may not be worth changing too many settings. 

21 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

I’ve just had an idea - is your modem also a router? If so, could you set it to modem mode or ‘bridge mode’

If there’s no option for this, could you disable UPNP on your modem (make sure it’s enabled on your XR500). I can only think the reason you’re not seeing anything on the XR500 is because your modem is doing all the work. 

Also - are you getting an Open Nat? If so, it’s probably not worth worrying too much about this. I appreciate not showing the ports is not helpful, but if performance is not affected then it may not be worth changing too many settings. 

no my modem/router is set to bridge mode and upnp is turned off. to ad i had no issues with the same setup with the r1.

i am getting an open nat. but there are games like fornite and battlefield which uses ports but i have no display ingame like in cod. this is why i want to see if upnp opens the ports und which.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Victor-Yout said:

no my modem/router is set to bridge mode and upnp is turned off. to ad i had no issues with the same setup with the r1.

i am getting an open nat. but there are games like fornite and battlefield which uses ports but i have no display ingame like in cod. this is why i want to see if upnp opens the ports und which.

Good to hear you're getting an open NAT, sounds like UPnP is working. However, I have sent you a PM. Please check this.