Being Kicked from Games in Destiny 2 on Xbox One

• What firmware version are you on? (Check at bottom of any page on the R1. If lower than 1.03.6 please follow upgrade instructions here first). Answer: 1.03.6h
  • What speeds do you get from multiple speed tests? Answer: 60mb/s down, 10mb/s up, 10 ping
  • What is your current setup? E.g. ISP hub/modem (Specify model) > R1 > all devices Answer: ISP is Cox Digital Cable, ARRIS Surfboard SB6141 Modem > Netduma R1 Router
  • What is your specific issue? (Provide as many details as possible. If it is a lag issue include the screenshots from here in your post) Answer: I am being kicked out of games randomly while playing Destiny 2 on Xbox One- sometimes while streaming from my PC but mostly when not streaming. I have followed the recommended settings to a tee and am getting incredibly frustrated that the router still boots me from D2. I'm a coach with Crucible Radio so it's essential that I can play and stream Destiny 2 without disconnecting all the time. I know that it is an issue with the router because I have plugged straight into my modem to play and never get kicked from games but as soon as I connect into the router I immediately get kicked. In order to get any kind of stability I need to restart the modem before I play everyday- this is tiresome and my profile settings do not load correctly half the time. I get an error message about not being able to load congestion control and I must manually set it up everyday. Other issues I have encountered with the control panel software are the zoom feature not working on the geofilter while using the latest updated versions of chrome, edge or firefox. Sometimes the router will completely drop the connection on all my devices including wifi and wired. At first I thought it was an issue with my cable signal but after getting my ISP to check it and never having issues playing on my modem it is certainly not that.
  • Any other information (such as settings you may have previously tried). Answer: I'm currently running a combination of advice I have heard on these forums. Currently, I have port forwarding set up for Xbox's suggested ports, Destiny 2's ports, and some additional ports recommended by user Chives. I have set up a DHCP Lease or static IP, Disabled VPN and UPnP, set up hyper traffice for my xbox, allocated 60% priority to my PC's up and down for streaming when I do stream (share excess enabled), set flood control down and up to 70%, running the most recently recommended cloud servers with bleeding edge, IPv6 disabled, gave up on geo filter a long time ago so it is set to maximum range, strict mode disabled, 0 ping assist. My Xbox and PC and smart TV are hardwired into the router while I have 2 security camera on the wifi as well as my phone. And please note I bought this router because I thought it was a simple solution lag and disconnecting yet I have been changing it's settings constantly since I got it 8 months ago and I'm still getting kicked out of games. Any help greatly appreciated or a refund if it's broken because I cannot figure out what's wrong with it.

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! So just to completely rule out the Geo-Filter you should disable it by unticking 'Enabled' (under your device at the top of the Host Filtering page). I'd recommend this first of all.

With the Geo-Filter disabled the Netduma essentially acts like a normal router. What error messages are you receiving in Destiny 2? Have you started to be kicked after a Destiny 2 update? (i.e did it begin with the latest patch, or with the Warmind update?)

Your settings seem great. If you have an open NAT then that's fantastic. With the Geo-Filter disabled, there's really no alternative to this - it almost has to be the game itself. Please let me know the answers to the above :)

Hi, welcome to the forum! So just to completely rule out the Geo-Filter you should disable it by unticking 'Enabled' (under your device at the top of the Host Filtering page). I'd recommend this first of all.

With the Geo-Filter disabled the Netduma essentially acts like a normal router. What error messages are you receiving in Destiny 2? Have you started to be kicked after a Destiny 2 update? (i.e did it begin with the latest patch, or with the Warmind update?)

Your settings seem great. If you have an open NAT then that's fantastic. With the Geo-Filter disabled, there's really no alternative to this - it almost has to be the game itself. Please let me know the answers to the above :)

Yes, I have had the geofilter disabled as well. I have had problems with the router since I got it 7 months ago not after the warmind update.  I get weaseled most of the time but somtimes I completely lose my internet connection. It has to be the router because I absolutely never disconnect when connected straight to my modem. Perhaps I received a broken router. 

• Netduma Staff

Yes, I have had the geofilter disabled as well. I have had problems with the router since I got it 7 months ago not after the warmind update.  I get weaseled most of the time but somtimes I completely lose my internet connection. It has to be the router because I absolutely never disconnect when connected straight to my modem. Perhaps I received a broken router. 

You should've contacted us sooner Raymond, we're always here to help out if you've got issues! If you're losing your Internet connection there's probably something wrong that's also affecting your connection to the game.

First off, you mentioned 3 different browsers in your first post. Always use Google Chrome on the latest version, preferably on a PC or Laptop. Issues with things not loading / zoom function not working could be browser related. Also make sure you're on the default Netduma theme.

Is the Netduma in the DMZ of your modem? I would recommend making sure that's the case. Once you've done this, perform a hard reset (switch off your Modem and Netduma. Wait 5 minutes and then turn on the Modem. Wait another minute then turn on the Netduma).

When you lose connection, does this happen on wired devices, wireless devices or both?

• 2 weeks later...

You should've contacted us sooner Raymond, we're always here to help out if you've got issues! If you're losing your Internet connection there's probably something wrong that's also affecting your connection to the game.

First off, you mentioned 3 different browsers in your first post. Always use Google Chrome on the latest version, preferably on a PC or Laptop. Issues with things not loading / zoom function not working could be browser related. Also make sure you're on the default Netduma theme.

Is the Netduma in the DMZ of your modem? I would recommend making sure that's the case. Once you've done this, perform a hard reset (switch off your Modem and Netduma. Wait 5 minutes and then turn on the Modem. Wait another minute then turn on the Netduma).

When you lose connection, does this happen on wired devices, wireless devices or both?

I'm using the latest version of Chrome on a desktop PC and using the default theme.

I don't know exactly what DMZ is honestly- I see the settings for it in the router's control panel. However, I've been in the control panel of my modem by typing in my modem IP before and it doesn't seem to have any editable settings if that's where I would need to specify it. Do I basically need to enter my router's IP  somewhere in my modem's control panel or vice versa? This isn't a modem/router combo if that matters.

When I disconnect all wireless and wired devices go down. 

Thanks!

PS I looked into what DMZ is a bit (still unsure how to do it). I'm not sure I want to do this over port forwarding since I also sometimes do PC gaming.  Attached are my port forwarding rules if that is helpful. 

• Netduma Staff

Not to worry! Firstly I would switch out the ethernet cable connecting the R1 to your ISP modem/router. If that doesn't resolve the Internet drop-outs then I would try direct to the modem to see if it occurs at all.

Basically with DMZ, you should be putting the WAN IP address (which is the IP address that your Modem has given to your Netduma) into the DMZ of your Modem.

The first step to do this is to find out your WAN IP. Go to the Netduma Device Manager and look at the top of the page. You should see a blue box of information, and below that there should be your WAN IP. Copy that number!

When you're on your Modem Interface, there should be plenty of menus to look in. Try navigating to Security / Firewall settings. In there you should hopefully see a DMZ box that you can type in. Paste your WAN IP into there (and click Apply if there is such a button).

Let me know how this goes! I don't believe it should affect your PC gaming (though I could be wrong), but if it does it's just as easy to remove the Netduma from the Modem DMZ.

Hello, I have replaced the ethernet cable but no luck so far there. I have tried connecting direct to the modem in the past and had no issues though. I'm currently working on setting the DMZ stuff up. Is this like forwarding alll my ports from my router to the modem or the having all my ports open to the internet kind of DMZ? 

Edit: Ok, I double checked my Modem's control panel. It definitely has no options to turn off and on. It is a cable modem without wifi and the control panel is only for monitoring connections. A friend of mine who was a network tech referred to it as a dumb box that just passes the connection on to the router so I'm guessing all the ports are open on the modem anyway? Also, I am attaching a screenshot my Modem's log information- hope that helps. My NAT is always open on Xbox so I don't really feel like it's a port issue. 

• Netduma Staff

Hello, I have replaced the ethernet cable but no luck so far there. I have tried connecting direct to the modem in the past and had no issues though. I'm currently working on setting the DMZ stuff up. Is this like forwarding alll my ports from my router to the modem or the having all my ports open to the internet kind of DMZ? 

Edit: Ok, I double checked my Modem's control panel. It definitely has no options to turn off and on. It is a cable modem without wifi and the control panel is only for monitoring connections. A friend of mine who was a network tech referred to it as a dumb box that just passes the connection on to the router so I'm guessing all the ports are open on the modem anyway? Also, I am attaching a screenshot my Modem's log information- hope that helps. My NAT is always open on Xbox so I don't really feel like it's a port issue. 

Hmm okay. The DMZ stuff was to possibly help your issue with getting kicked in Destiny. Let's see what we can do about your internet dropping out.

So you've tested your connection when you're just wired to your modem? Could you let us know the model of your modem? And your Internet connection never drops out when you're just connected to that?

If the Internet drops out again, go to the Device Manager on the Netduma. Do you see a WAN IP there? Can you even access the interface on the Netduma when the Internet drops?

Is there any good software or website I could use to monitor my connection for a long period of time so I can see what's happening? What I had done in the past to test it recently was go plug my xbox into the modem rather than the router after my internet dropped. It worked fine immediately after that and I played for about 3 hours. Afterwards I plugged back into the netduma and tried playing and experienced the same dropped connection. I've done this twice too.

My modem is a: ARRIS Surfboard SB6141 Modem

So currently I do see a WAN IP. I cannot recall what happens to the interface exactly when I DC. I think it starts loading constantly until my connection restabilizes.

Another thing I noticed is that if I leave on my Destiny 2 profile I get pretty spotty wifi on my phone. I think because my device hrioritzation is set up as 70 to my PC and 30 to my Xbox this happens. I often would not change it because device prioritzation often did not load with my profiles and I would get an error. I have 2 wifi security cameras and a synch module for them that shows up in device prioritzation. Perhaps when I do not change my profile and these wireless devices are trying to connect at 0 priority (share excess enabled) all day something screwy is going on? Last night I got Device Prioritzation to load with profiles somehwat consistently by opening the interface in a new chrome window so I was able to switch to a Non-Gaming profile I set up that removed that 70-30 set up before I went to bed. I guess I'll see tonight if it's more stable.

Also, I think maybe you guys should include a default non-gaming profile that has load device prioritzation checked so that we can purge any weird settings on our profiles such as running don't share excess or stuff with not prioritization set on wifi devices like my setup.

1 more thing, can I have the most recent cloud settings for Destiny 2? I have auto on atm but have tried manual in the past- not sure if it made a difference. Does the cloud have something to do with the geofilter or is it just a server thing?

Thanks again!

• Netduma Staff

Pingplotter would be your best bet - you'd be able to run a test for a few hours and see what's happening with your connection. Are you making sure your other devices have enough bandwidth? I'd recommend resetting device prioritisation and enabling Share Excess while you're trying to solve this issue with your Internet dropping out. In fact it might be worth factory resetting via Settings > Miscellaneous and not touching the settings afterwards - testing on the default settings will rule out a couple of other potential causes.

I would recommend setting a static IP for the Netduma though I doubt your surfboard has that capability judging by what you've said. It feels like the solution to these drop outs is probably that, but unfortunately the surfboard doesn't have that capability. Do you have another spare modem you could try? (The solution in the end might be to invest in a modem that's compatible with your ISP but has more settings options)

If you're on Bleeding Edge then that's the latest stable version - I wouldn't worry about the other cloud settings.

I did try doing the factory reset but kept encountering connection drops. There had to be something wrong with the hardware because I gave up and bought a netgear nighthawk. I played all day without any connection issues on this router so I'll probably continue using it. Thanks for trying to help me though man.

• Administrators

Ah ok - it was probably something to do with the Cloud or the config settings. Sorry we couldn't help you fix it but let us know if you need any help with your Nighthawk.