XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.18 (RELEASED)

I'm so torn! I really want the variable zoom on my geo filter...   Are only those reporting problems having the problems or are the problems happening to everyone? I see the "recommend" to wait but yet the firmware is still there and the option available. Which leads me to believe theres the possibility for a successful upgrade.

:unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

With a full factory reset, other than upnp being wonky, this is a solid release for me.

Running way smoother than previous releases and upnp not mapping correctly for my devices doesn't stop them getting a moderate Nat, so that's not the end of the world.

Try it, can always rollback to the old version if it doesn't work for you.

Guest Killhippie

With a full factory reset, other than upnp being wonky, this is a solid release for me.

Running way smoother than previous releases and upnp not mapping correctly for my devices doesn't stop them getting a moderate Nat, so that's not the end of the world.

Try it, can always rollback to the old version if it doesn't work for you.

I would agree but I keep being told this version has been pulled, yet its still available so I am very confused. Its working fine for me apart from as you say UPnP not mapping but all my devices are working as they should so I really am not sure what should be done at this point.

I rolled mine back, I had no upnp issues at all and it worked fine but was not showing upnp ports being used, but I had open nat so it was obvious that upnp was working for me. However there may have been other underlying problems so as a caution I rolled back until a new release is issued, but this time I shall wait a few days to see what the reaction is to the update when it lands :)

Guest Killhippie

I rolled mine back, I had no upnp issues at all and it worked fine but was not showing upnp ports being used, but I had open nat so it was obvious that upnp was working for me. However there may have been other underlying problems so as a caution I rolled back until a new release is issued, but this time I shall wait a few days to see what the reaction is to the update when it lands :)

I think that might be wise, thanks to your advice, and someone within Netgear as well both you and they suggested to roll back. A bit of shame and tbh a bit or a mess for a long awaited update. I wonder how long before Netgear/Netduma push a new one?

• Administrators

Only change name of my router Asus 

On the Device Manager or on the Asus Router itself?

I'm so torn! I really want the variable zoom on my geo filter...   Are only those reporting problems having the problems or are the problems happening to everyone? I see the "recommend" to wait but yet the firmware is still there and the option available. Which leads me to believe theres the possibility for a successful upgrade.

:unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

After people experienced issues I changed my device names and upgraded by checking firmware and allowing it to upgrade. I did not get my device names wiped and therefore did not get the Geo-Filter error caused by it. I do however see no entries in the UPnP table but some people are still seeing an open NAT when using it.

I would say if you don't mind the potential of doing a factory reset after upgrading and don't find an issue with NAT then it'd be fine to upgrade.

I would agree but I keep being told this version has been pulled, yet its still available so I am very confused. Its working fine for me apart from as you say UPnP not mapping but all my devices are working as they should so I really am not sure what should be done at this point.

Link is available if you have it, otherwise its not public and been pulled from update server.

I think that might be wise, thanks to your advice, and someone within Netgear as well both you and they suggested to roll back. A bit of shame and tbh a bit or a mess for a long awaited update. I wonder how long before Netgear/Netduma push a new one?

I believe they already have a fix so will need to test. They need to discuss internally for release time.

• Administrators

Great I will have to reset my router settings once again after update. I just want a router that works, not one I have to reboot and update daily because we are beta testers.

These things happen from time to time, the update was pulled from the server so it doesn't go to all routers and a fix being worked on. 

Guest Killhippie

I’ve had to roll back before. It is a pain but it does happen, and I’d rather run on firmware I know that works after some discussion. Having looked on the Netgear site as you say it’s not even there as a manual download now, so it’s been pulled completely. I’ll wait patiently for the fixed to appear. Thanks for your help here Fraser.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there also seems to be something messing with VM's (virtual machines) and DNS.  Am able to get IP addresses but not access the internet.  Sometimes I can only ping sites by IP address.  Downgraded the firmware back to .10 and everything works again.

• Administrators

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there also seems to be something messing with VM's (virtual machines) and DNS.  Am able to get IP addresses but not access the internet.  Sometimes I can only ping sites by IP address.  Downgraded the firmware back to .10 and everything works again.

This only occurs on VMs? Whatever they changed probably caused it. Would just wait to see if when rereleased it works but just stay on the previous version for now.

I downgraded to the previous version and wiped settings. All seems to be fine again. I also turned off automatic updating considering how many problems this new release had that should of been caught because they were so obvious.

This only occurs on VMs? Whatever they changed probably caused it. Would just wait to see if when rereleased it works but just stay on the previous version for now.

As far as I can tell, yes only on VM's.  I tested both with VirtualBox and Hyper-V, and tried to install/run 2 Linux distros (Ubuntu and Debian 9).  All my other devices work fine but on VM, the DNS is all kinds of messed up.  I did downgrade back to .10 and everything went back to normal.

• Administrators

As far as I can tell, yes only on VM's.  I tested both with VirtualBox and Hyper-V, and tried to install/run 2 Linux distros (Ubuntu and Debian 9).  All my other devices work fine but on VM, the DNS is all kinds of messed up.  I did downgrade back to .10 and everything went back to normal.

Okay thanks for the info, when rereleased please try on that also

Is there a reason my firmware didn't auto-update to this? I have it agreed/enabled. Just curious. I mean I'm glad it didn't now but for future updates I'd rather not have to keep checking here or on the router manually. Isn't that the point of agreeing to the "Router Auto Firmware Update"? heh

Is there a reason my firmware didn't auto-update to this? I have it agreed/enabled. Just curious. I mean I'm glad it didn't now but for future updates I'd rather not have to keep checking here or on the router manually. Isn't that the point of agreeing to the "Router Auto Firmware Update"? heh

It was pulled off the servers by NG due to problems with it. Auto update should work on next release, when that arrives.