Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.18 (RELEASED)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Gouldin

Gouldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 07:35 PM
  • LocationCoventry

I'd agree with BIG_DOG on this.

In general for small releases you can get away without a factory reset. However, all it takes is for netgear/linksys/asus or any other brand of router to update the WiFi driver or Ethernet driver and introduce a new range of default parameters that into the config that can't be applied because of the old settings, so unfortunately most of the time: Any issues after an upgrade, Reset and try again..

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationNear Manchester

there are 2 firmwares running on the XR500, the backend netgear firmware and dumaOS. It is prudent to do a reset after a firmware update. 

SzMsO7f.gif   x0ahK7Dt.jpg

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUK

there are 2 firmwares running on the XR500, the backend netgear firmware and dumaOS. It is prudent to do a reset after a firmware update. 

It does make the auto update feature redundant though really. Saying that I have always factory reset my routers but it would be great if just for once we didn't have to.

Durty

Durty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 01:35 PM

I am unable to deny dedicated servers still. Thought that was part of this update.

EDIT: I can only deny some servers.

Sunaikinti

Sunaikinti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:35 PM
Upnp definitely broken. Reset through gui and reset button. Rolled back firmware, now working again. Pull new firmware off website and do a little quality control next time.

Locosano

Locosano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Merci pour la mise à jour les gars en attendant les prochaines mise à jour avec impatience :)

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,525 posts

It does make the auto update feature redundant though really. Saying that I have always factory reset my routers but it would be great if just for once we didn't have to.

Doing a reset is what I advise, it is my own personal opinion.

Here is an article on the subject, not sure but I think another member posted it the other day:

https://www.snbforum...lt-reset.22822/

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUK

Doing a reset is what I advise, it is my own personal opinion.

Here is an article on the subject, not sure but I think another member posted it the other day:

https://www.snbforum...lt-reset.22822/

Indeed, that was me :)

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUK

Glad I sent mine back to Amazon after testing for a few days. NETGEAR IS JUNK!!

BUY ASUS

Because Asus never has any problems, say with UPnP ;)  https://www.snbforum...t-ac86u.45986/ All routers have glitches sigh I should really have not posted back but comments like this don't help anyone and as I said all routers from all manufacturer's have issues. I'm perfectly happy with my XR500, as are many others.

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

The 30/30/30 rule is as follows....... hold reset in for 30 seconds,unplug for 30 seconds, hold reset button in and at same time reconnect power and power up and keep pressed for 30 more second then release. This was the proceduce to follow after correctly flashing router firmware/ custome router firmware. I have followed this procedure for years since seeing it posted by a dd-wrt developer.

so...whats the point in having the backup and restore settings option...if it doesnt work...?

wwii.jpg

Rockets all gone... Mnnnn...Your fooling no-one Kim !!!

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

anyone else notice immediately after doing a full reset (setup router from scratch) that you get your FULL reported modem speeds ?

that is... until you start entering all your settings again..... ?

This relates to another post i started about the router robbing us of 12mb/sec download ....  http://forum.netduma...ps/#entry180310

after updating and resetting, the XR reported 74mbps download and 14mbps upload ! exactly what my modem stats show!!

but after populating the XR500 with all my settings (again!) it drops the speeds back down to 62mpbs and 10mbps !!

why does this router "struggle" with a PPPoE broadband authentication login ?

wwii.jpg

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUK

so...whats the point in having the backup and restore settings option...if it doesnt work...?

Its there for use on the same firmware in case you need to reset maybe but not update, when new firmware is released settings change, simply the backup may not be compatible with the new firmware due to it having certain settings and underlying changes that are no longer in the latest version.

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUK

anyone else notice immediately after doing a full reset (setup router from scratch) that you get your FULL reported modem speeds ?

that is... until you start entering all your settings again..... ?

This relates to another post i started about the router robbing us of 12mb/sec download ....  http://forum.netduma...ps/#entry180310

after updating and resetting, the XR reported 74mbps download and 14mbps upload ! exactly what my modem stats show!!

but after populating the XR500 with all my settings (again!) it drops the speeds back down to 62mpbs and 10mbps !!

why does this router "struggle" with a PPPoE broadband authentication login ?

When it does a speedtest it does not have Anti-bufferbloat enabled. I have mine set to only come on when it detects high priority traffic and I get the same transmission rate though my router as I do when it does the speed test that way, the only time that changes is when anti-bufferbloat kicks in when gaming as its high priority traffic, or if  I change the setting to always on. You are going to lose some download and upload as that's what anti-bufferbloat does, hence I only use it when I need it. It all depends also on what you have your sliders set to of course.

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

When it does a speedtest it does not have Anti-bufferbloat enabled. I have mine set to only come on when it detects high priority traffic and I get the same transmission rate though my router as I do when it does the speed test that way, the only time that changes is when anti-bufferbloat kicks in when gaming as its high priority traffic, or if  I change the setting to always on. You are going to lose some download and upload as that's what anti-bufferbloat does, hence I only use it when I need it. It all depends also on what you have your sliders set to of course.

i had Anti-bufferbloat disabled for all tests....

wwii.jpg

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,525 posts

The backup settings are meant to be used on a router with the firmware it was on when the backup was created. The backup saves the current configuration at the point of saving, but if a new firmware is released and it modifies, changes or removes settings or features then the backup is redundant. If the backup just saved ip address assigements, ssid and password then that is all well and good, but they do not unfortunately.

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

after new update, noticed that it now takes the High traffic Priority Traffic LED 10 minutes to extinguish after leaving a game.

pre-update, this only took 30 seconds.... ?

traffic_light.jpg

wwii.jpg

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

The backup settings are meant to be used on a router with the firmware it was on when the backup was created. The backup saves the current configuration at the point of saving, but if a new firmware is released and it modifies, changes or removes settings or features then the backup is redundant. If the backup just saved ip address assigements, ssid and password then that is all well and good, but they do not unfortunately.

if that were the case, you would have thought Netgear would have included that info somewhere on the same screen as the "backup settings button" is on....?

wwii.jpg

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,525 posts

if that were the case, you would have thought Netgear would have included that info somewhere on the same screen as the "backup settings button" is on....?

this is a router thing in general, not specific to netgear or dumaOS. 

The traffic led on mine is the same but glows red when active.

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Upnp definitely broken. Reset through gui and reset button. Rolled back firmware, now working again. Pull new firmware off website and do a little quality control next time.

yep, UPnP broken, nothing appearing in list... ? well done Netgear !

(tested with every single one of my home devices switched on and connected)

upnp.jpg

wwii.jpg

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

this is a router thing in general, not specific to netgear or dumaOS. 

The traffic led on mine is the same but glows red when active.

erm... i know it glows red when active ?? my point is , after the new update it now takes 10 minutes to extinguish when it used to only take 30 seconds, once there is no priority traffic taking place ....?

clearly the processing power of this router is now being "stretched" by the latest "so-called" updates...?

wwii.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users