Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.18 (RELEASED)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 PM
  • LocationUK

is now the standard we are to expect for each and every new firmware !!!! factory reset and manually add in all your previous settings...?

if so, i know where this router is going, and it rhymes with Tin....

Thats been the way with many routers after an update, try reading Merlins take on that.. https://www.snbforum...lt-reset.22822/

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationNear Manchester

Netgera say even less 5 I think, as long as the orange flashing light has done its thing for over 5 it seems okay. I still had to reboot my router to get the Geo filter to work though after resetting after the update, this was via the inbuilt firmware update rather than downloading new firmware.

Yeah, I did the update through the GUI also rather than the posted link. The 30 second rule goes back a long way, not just with the XR. It is part of the 30/30/30 rule. 

SzMsO7f.gif   x0ahK7Dt.jpg

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah, I did the update through the GUI also rather than the posted link. The 30 second rule goes back a long way, not just with the XR. It is part of the 30/30/30 rule. 

I think I may try downloading the firmware next time, saying that a lot of changes were made in the background. All seems okay now though. 30/30/30 can be a life saver. My geo filter just kept spinning and asked me to wait, rebooting it fixed the issue though. Not sure why, once it reloaded all its settings again it worked first time.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

I can confirm ive also lost all device names. I updated via settings, admin, firmware. I also have an unmatched error on my geo filter

You you did check firmware then allowed it to install or uploaded firmware manually? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear.

Did a manual upgrade through settings, firmware upgrade

I noticed i lost all my device names, i didn't really check out anything else just did a factory reset at that point

You uploaded firmware manually? 

confirmed: updating kills all your named devices, thanks Netgear!!  (rather than an OTA update, i manually updated)

restoring settings makes no difference.

Why no "device type" updates, same old limited selection.... pffft!

renamed all my devices again, then rebooted. ALL names reverted back to "unamed device" !!! stupid netgear firmware....

QoS broken permanently even after several reboots 

unable to get rid of this error shown below...wtf!

...as usual , new firmware BREAKS! more than it fixes....!

uncaught.jpg

Surely this must mean Netgear have been flat out for the past what, 3 months ... making major updates ?....eh..NO! 

Don't strain yourselves too hard Netgear....unbelievable !!!  My 95 year old Techo-phobe Granny could have produced a better Update !! 

update.jpg

Am now having to revert to the old semi-stable prior firmware..... <_< 

You uploaded the firmware and updated or checked for firmware and allowed an update? More device types will be coming - that is just aesthetics, there are far more important bug fixes/improvements to be added. What do you mean QoS permanently broken? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear. 

Factory reset on this firmware and should have no issues.

Rebooting did not fix it for me.. does factory reset work?

Btw how do you a factory reset on the xr500?

Settings > Administration > Backup Settings > Erase, that will work.

is this now broken as well... ?

reset.jpg

What do you mean?

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Zirkawn

Zirkawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM

I'd rather wait longer than for a firmware corruption.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts

I'd rather wait longer than for a firmware corruption.

there is nothing wrong with this firmware update, just users are not applying a factory reset when new firmware is installed.......that should be common practice with any router, any brand! 

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts

I think I may try downloading the firmware next time, saying that a lot of changes were made in the background. All seems okay now though. 30/30/30 can be a life saver. My geo filter just kept spinning and asked me to wait, rebooting it fixed the issue though. Not sure why, once it reloaded all its settings again it worked first time.

The 30/30/30 rule is as follows....... hold reset in for 30 seconds,unplug for 30 seconds, hold reset button in and at same time reconnect power and power up and keep pressed for 30 more second then release. This was the proceduce to follow after correctly flashing router firmware/ custome router firmware. I have followed this procedure for years since seeing it posted by a dd-wrt developer.

rckrz6

rckrz6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 AM
  • LocationRochester, NY USA

You you did check firmware then allowed it to install or uploaded firmware manually? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear.

You uploaded firmware manually? 

You uploaded the firmware and updated or checked for firmware and allowed an update? More device types will be coming - that is just aesthetics, there are far more important bug fixes/improvements to be added. What do you mean QoS permanently broken? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear. 

Factory reset on this firmware and should have no issues.

Settings > Administration > Backup Settings > Erase, that will work.

What do you mean?

I hit check for update and it updated itself

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

I hit check for update and it updated itself

I wasn't able to reproduce it using the same method so not sure what happened there. May be a browser/cache issue. 

All my custom device names and icon are lost again and i didn't touch anything, i named some of them back again ill check again in a few hours

Clear the browser cache and see if it happens again.

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Glazeko

Glazeko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 AM
My devices names did not changed or where changed to unnamed devices. All i have noticed so far are my speeds dropping dramatically. 435mbps download but now im just getting 150. Even if i do the speed test from the router itself.i also have restarted both my modem and router and still the same issue.

rousey

rousey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

The 30/30/30 rule is as follows....... hold reset in for 30 seconds,unplug for 30 seconds, hold reset button in and at same time reconnect power and power up and keep pressed for 30 more second then release. This was the proceduce to follow after correctly flashing router firmware/ custome router firmware. I have followed this procedure for years since seeing it posted by a dd-wrt developer.

Hi Big Dog, I did your 30/30/30 should this have erased all my settings as everything seems to have remained  :wacko:

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts

Hi Big Dog, I did your 30/30/30 should this have erased all my settings as everything seems to have remained  :wacko:

You should have had to go through the setup configuration. ALL your settings should have been erased!

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

My devices names did not changed or where changed to unnamed devices. All i have noticed so far are my speeds dropping dramatically. 435mbps download but now im just getting 150. Even if i do the speed test from the router itself.i also have restarted both my modem and router and still the same issue.

Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat settings, are you speeds restored?

Factory reset from the interface instead

Time Converter

Gouldin

Gouldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCoventry
Upgrade has gone well for me and device is generally running a lot better.

Geo filter is being a pain with saying uncaught unmatched device.
There any telnet / ssh command to clear the geo filter without doing a factory reset?

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Upgrade has gone well for me and device is generally running a lot better.

Geo filter is being a pain with saying uncaught unmatched device.
There any telnet / ssh command to clear the geo filter without doing a factory reset?

Not that I'm aware of but I'm not as intimate with the backend as developers. I believe its caused by a device that was previously selected but no longer connected to the router but if you reconnect it that error should disappear.

Time Converter

Gouldin

Gouldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Thanks, I just did a factory reset in the end.

With it being Geo-Filter that was the only thing that had issues, the 2 devices listed in Geo-Filter were my PS4's  and they were both still on and connected. Strange. Still sorted now, performance has been a lot better for me so far, looks like a decent firmware :)

peanut183

peanut183

• Early Access
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM

there is nothing wrong with this firmware update, just users are not applying a factory reset when new firmware is installed.......that should be common practice with any router, any brand! 

You have to be joking.... You honestly expect a consumer to reset a device to factory settings and enter their settings manually again after every firmware update? Wow, you are out of touch my friend, that isn't how updating your device is supposed to work. Maybe to someone who plays around with dd-wrt and the likes for fun this is old hat, but Joe Gamer wants to play video games not resetting his router and spending 30 minutes reapplying settings.

Gouldin

Gouldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCoventry

1 issue found so far. UPnP is not mapping any devices at all. Consoles can usually be spotty at the best of times, but my Qnap and plex are generally rock solid at forcing ports opened when they specify them and they are unable to set the upnp on the router at all at the moment.

Error log for PnP from the Qnap if it provides any useful info:

------ NAT PMP Diagnostics ------
initnatpmp() returned 0 (SUCCESS)
using gateway : 192.168.1.1
sendpublicaddressrequest returned 2 (SUCCESS)
readnatpmpresponseorretry returned -7 (FAILED)
------ UPnP Diagnostics ------
upnpc : miniupnpc library test client. © 2006-2011 Thomas Bernard
for more information.
List of UPNP devices found on the network :
 st: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:InternetGatewayDevice:1

Local LAN ip address : 192.168.1.5
Connection Type : IP_Routed
Status : Connected, uptime=1526565595s, LastConnectionError : ERROR_NONE
  Time started : Mon Jan 19 07:17:13 1970
MaxBitRateDown : 1000000 bps   MaxBitRateUp 1000000 bps
ExternalIPAddress = 80.xxx.xx.xx
GetGenericPortMappingEntry() returned 713 (SpecifiedArrayIndexInvalid)
INFO: No any UPnP port mapping entry is found.

Edited by Gouldin, 2 weeks ago.

Sunaikinti

Sunaikinti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 AM
Upnp not working for me neither.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts

You have to be joking.... You honestly expect a consumer to reset a device to factory settings and enter their settings manually again after every firmware update? Wow, you are out of touch my friend, that isn't how updating your device is supposed to work. Maybe to someone who plays around with dd-wrt and the likes for fun this is old hat, but Joe Gamer wants to play video games not resetting his router and spending 30 minutes reapplying settings.

It is the tried and trusted sure fire method of a completely flashed firmware, it is the tried and trusted correct method as a general reboot does not always work which is what I am trying to get across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users