XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.18 (RELEASED)

I'd rather wait longer than for a firmware corruption.

there is nothing wrong with this firmware update, just users are not applying a factory reset when new firmware is installed.......that should be common practice with any router, any brand! 

I think I may try downloading the firmware next time, saying that a lot of changes were made in the background. All seems okay now though. 30/30/30 can be a life saver. My geo filter just kept spinning and asked me to wait, rebooting it fixed the issue though. Not sure why, once it reloaded all its settings again it worked first time.

The 30/30/30 rule is as follows....... hold reset in for 30 seconds,unplug for 30 seconds, hold reset button in and at same time reconnect power and power up and keep pressed for 30 more second then release. This was the proceduce to follow after correctly flashing router firmware/ custome router firmware. I have followed this procedure for years since seeing it posted by a dd-wrt developer.

You you did check firmware then allowed it to install or uploaded firmware manually? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear.

You uploaded firmware manually? 

You uploaded the firmware and updated or checked for firmware and allowed an update? More device types will be coming - that is just aesthetics, there are far more important bug fixes/improvements to be added. What do you mean QoS permanently broken? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear. 

Factory reset on this firmware and should have no issues.

Settings > Administration > Backup Settings > Erase, that will work.

What do you mean?

I hit check for update and it updated itself

• Administrators

I hit check for update and it updated itself

I wasn't able to reproduce it using the same method so not sure what happened there. May be a browser/cache issue. 

All my custom device names and icon are lost again and i didn't touch anything, i named some of them back again ill check again in a few hours

Clear the browser cache and see if it happens again.

My devices names did not changed or where changed to unnamed devices. All i have noticed so far are my speeds dropping dramatically. 435mbps download but now im just getting 150. Even if i do the speed test from the router itself.i also have restarted both my modem and router and still the same issue.

The 30/30/30 rule is as follows....... hold reset in for 30 seconds,unplug for 30 seconds, hold reset button in and at same time reconnect power and power up and keep pressed for 30 more second then release. This was the proceduce to follow after correctly flashing router firmware/ custome router firmware. I have followed this procedure for years since seeing it posted by a dd-wrt developer.

Hi Big Dog, I did your 30/30/30 should this have erased all my settings as everything seems to have remained  :wacko:

Hi Big Dog, I did your 30/30/30 should this have erased all my settings as everything seems to have remained  :wacko:

You should have had to go through the setup configuration. ALL your settings should have been erased!

• Administrators

My devices names did not changed or where changed to unnamed devices. All i have noticed so far are my speeds dropping dramatically. 435mbps download but now im just getting 150. Even if i do the speed test from the router itself.i also have restarted both my modem and router and still the same issue.

Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat settings, are you speeds restored?

Factory reset from the interface instead

Upgrade has gone well for me and device is generally running a lot better.

Geo filter is being a pain with saying uncaught unmatched device.

There any telnet / ssh command to clear the geo filter without doing a factory reset?

• Administrators

Upgrade has gone well for me and device is generally running a lot better.

Geo filter is being a pain with saying uncaught unmatched device.

There any telnet / ssh command to clear the geo filter without doing a factory reset?

Not that I'm aware of but I'm not as intimate with the backend as developers. I believe its caused by a device that was previously selected but no longer connected to the router but if you reconnect it that error should disappear.

Thanks, I just did a factory reset in the end.

With it being Geo-Filter that was the only thing that had issues, the 2 devices listed in Geo-Filter were my PS4's  and they were both still on and connected. Strange. Still sorted now, performance has been a lot better for me so far, looks like a decent firmware :)

there is nothing wrong with this firmware update, just users are not applying a factory reset when new firmware is installed.......that should be common practice with any router, any brand! 

You have to be joking.... You honestly expect a consumer to reset a device to factory settings and enter their settings manually again after every firmware update? Wow, you are out of touch my friend, that isn't how updating your device is supposed to work. Maybe to someone who plays around with dd-wrt and the likes for fun this is old hat, but Joe Gamer wants to play video games not resetting his router and spending 30 minutes reapplying settings.

1 issue found so far. UPnP is not mapping any devices at all. Consoles can usually be spotty at the best of times, but my Qnap and plex are generally rock solid at forcing ports opened when they specify them and they are unable to set the upnp on the router at all at the moment.

Error log for PnP from the Qnap if it provides any useful info:

------ NAT PMP Diagnostics ------
initnatpmp() returned 0 (SUCCESS)
using gateway : 192.168.1.1
sendpublicaddressrequest returned 2 (SUCCESS)
readnatpmpresponseorretry returned -7 (FAILED)
------ UPnP Diagnostics ------
upnpc : miniupnpc library test client. © 2006-2011 Thomas Bernard
for more information.
List of UPNP devices found on the network :
 st: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:InternetGatewayDevice:1

Local LAN ip address : 192.168.1.5
Connection Type : IP_Routed
Status : Connected, uptime=1526565595s, LastConnectionError : ERROR_NONE
  Time started : Mon Jan 19 07:17:13 1970
MaxBitRateDown : 1000000 bps   MaxBitRateUp 1000000 bps
ExternalIPAddress = 80.xxx.xx.xx
GetGenericPortMappingEntry() returned 713 (SpecifiedArrayIndexInvalid)
INFO: No any UPnP port mapping entry is found.
Edited by Gouldin

You have to be joking.... You honestly expect a consumer to reset a device to factory settings and enter their settings manually again after every firmware update? Wow, you are out of touch my friend, that isn't how updating your device is supposed to work. Maybe to someone who plays around with dd-wrt and the likes for fun this is old hat, but Joe Gamer wants to play video games not resetting his router and spending 30 minutes reapplying settings.

It is the tried and trusted sure fire method of a completely flashed firmware, it is the tried and trusted correct method as a general reboot does not always work which is what I am trying to get across.

I'd agree with BIG_DOG on this.

In general for small releases you can get away without a factory reset. However, all it takes is for netgear/linksys/asus or any other brand of router to update the WiFi driver or Ethernet driver and introduce a new range of default parameters that into the config that can't be applied because of the old settings, so unfortunately most of the time: Any issues after an upgrade, Reset and try again..

there are 2 firmwares running on the XR500, the backend netgear firmware and dumaOS. It is prudent to do a reset after a firmware update. 

Guest Killhippie

there are 2 firmwares running on the XR500, the backend netgear firmware and dumaOS. It is prudent to do a reset after a firmware update. 

It does make the auto update feature redundant though really. Saying that I have always factory reset my routers but it would be great if just for once we didn't have to.

Upnp definitely broken. Reset through gui and reset button. Rolled back firmware, now working again. Pull new firmware off website and do a little quality control next time.

It does make the auto update feature redundant though really. Saying that I have always factory reset my routers but it would be great if just for once we didn't have to.

Doing a reset is what I advise, it is my own personal opinion.

Here is an article on the subject, not sure but I think another member posted it the other day:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Guest Killhippie

Glad I sent mine back to Amazon after testing for a few days. NETGEAR IS JUNK!!

BUY ASUS

Because Asus never has any problems, say with UPnP ;)  https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upnp-problems-on-an-rt-ac86u.45986/ All routers have glitches sigh I should really have not posted back but comments like this don't help anyone and as I said all routers from all manufacturer's have issues. I'm perfectly happy with my XR500, as are many others.

so...whats the point in having the backup and restore settings option...if it doesnt work...?