LED Port assignment. New hardware.

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Just wanted to mention to anyone that wanted their router to have the ports in the correct order (even though its only cosmetic) Netgear will replace routers with the back to front ports. I had mine swapped out this week. Also the sticker from hell is now not placed on the router anymore, but stuck to some plastic film that protects the routers casing, so no more WD40 is needed or delicate peeling. LED's are a little brighter as well, but its good news that Netgear listened and will exchange units. Just wanted to let people know that if you want you have that option.

id consider it but ive ran into a few units already that you couldn't even screw the side antennas on because the board was't lined up properly with the hole.  Not sure its worth the risk of dealing with that

Guest Killhippie

id consider it but ive ran into a few units already that you couldn't even screw the side antennas on because the board was't lined up properly with the hole.  Not sure its worth the risk of dealing with that

Thats bad, I saw someone posted that on Amazon as well. Hopefully the new units have that issue corrected too as mine was okay, but I can see your point totally.

Guest Killhippie

just a note in passing....

wifi range of this router is poorer than that of my old R7000 Netgear! (which only had 3 antennas)

What has this to do with Port assignment?  My signal is about the same as my R7800 pretty much but that unit was two years old and getting a bit tired, I get a signal well outside my home, but that depends on what your home is made of and the number of networks around you and your settings of course and router placement as well, also the number of aerials makes no massive difference. I still get a great signal but as I said there are so many variables its hard to say as it will be different with each persons set up.

What has this to do with Port assignment?  My signal is about the same as my R7800 pretty much but that unit was two years old and getting a bit tired, I get a signal well outside my home, but that depends on what your home is made of and the number of networks around you and your settings of course and router placement as well, also the number of aerials makes no massive difference. I still get a great signal but as I said there are so many variables its hard to say as it will be different with each persons set up.

nothing to do with port assignment "just a note in passing" as quoted...

the XR500 is placed in the exact same place as my old R7000. With my old R7000 i could easily connect to wifi out in my back garden.

im even using the same channel numbers on the XR

I now have zero signal out the back of my house with the XR..... such is life....

I had an r7000 for a 2-3 years,  the housing/cover started cracking where the screws go and the cover started seperating, i tried a few routers(tp link c2300, asus ac88u, netgear r9000)  before settling on this one.  i find the signal stronger at least in our bedroom on the xr500, infact all those routers had better coverage then the r7000 by a small margin

Guest Killhippie

nothing to do with port assignment "just a note in passing" as quoted...

the XR500 is placed in the exact same place as my old R7000. With my old R7000 i could easily connect to wifi out in my back garden.

im even using the same channel numbers on the XR

I now have zero signal out the back of my house with the XR..... such is life....

I leave my router on 2.4Ghz to auto, tbh it seems to find the best channel itself, I had to dial the power back as my neighbour across the road which is quite a way was picking it up. My 5Ghz goes though 3 walls and I get 72% on my Sony AF8 which is pretty good on that frequency. The R7800 has better long distance throughput on 5Ghz by about 50Mbps compared with the XR500 so not something I'm worried about. I think all units vary too, my new XR500 is better than my original release unit, I think batch variations and component variations can affect routers, just like a say OLED TV has a panel lottery where one will be great and the next have discolouration yet they are off the same production line, same with conventional TV's as well. With so many made slight variations occur I guess, as you say such is life.

I leave my router on 2.4Ghz to auto, tbh it seems to find the best channel itself, I had to dial the power back as my neighbour across the road which is quite a way was picking it up. My 5Ghz goes though 3 walls and I get 72% on my Sony AF8 which is pretty good on that frequency. The R7800 has better long distance throughput on 5Ghz buy my about 50Mbps compared with the XR500 so not something I'm worried about. I think all units vary too, my new XR500 is better than my original release unit, I think batch variations and component variations can affect routers, just like a say OLED TV has a panel lottery where one will be great and the next have discolouration yet they are off the same production line, same with conventional TV's as well. With so many made slight variations occur I guess, as you say such is life. 

I agree, the unit im using now the 5ghz is quite abit weaker then the original unit that i had, about 61 dBm in the bedroom compared to 57 dBm on the old unit

just wondering if you still have the box to the new unit what it says above the serial number.   I think its the 3rd revision that you have.  theres currently 100-22345-01R08 (Launch) and 100-22345-01R10  (Revision 1)   out there.    Did you have to call netgear to get the new model or can you just email them

Guest Killhippie

I agree, the unit im using now the 5ghz is quite abit weaker then the original unit that i had, about 61 dBm in the bedroom compared to 57 dBm on the old unit

just wondering if you still have the box to the new unit what it says above the serial number. I think its the 3rd revision that you have. theres currently 100-22345-01R08 (Launch) and 100-22345-01R10 (Revision 1) out there. Did you have to call netgear to get the new model or can you just email them

Mine is 100-22339-01R16 I emailed Netgear from the forum. DarrenM he might be able to help or go to smallnetbuilder and contact Netgear guy on there