spikes on pingplotter

• Netduma Staff

Spikes are (almost 100% of the time) caused by your upstream equipment (your modem, line or cables) so it's really a case of either replacing your Modem (making sure it is compatible with your ISP) or cables, or contacting your ISP with evidence (such as Pingplotter tests) and proving to them that there are issues with your line.

Yeah I think I should contact my ISP!! Thank you guys and by the way I did replace my modem! Same modem from my isp though! One question should I replace the modem with my own modem? Since ARRIS modems are bad!! Oh! And all my cables are new!!

• Netduma Staff

If those results are from your new modem that's great - your results are looking much better there. The biggest spike you've got there is about 20ms instead of over 100ms. Looks like this issue was your modem.

Only replace a modem with one you've bought yourself if you know the one you've got is compatible with your ISP. If it isn't compatible you won't be able to use it.

• Administrators

THIS IS WITH 70% SLIDERS AND GAMING AND STREAMING NETFLIX!

https://share.pingplotter.com/YKdLWkqS53o.png

1. Were all devices directly connected to the Netduma (i.e. none were connected to your modem)?
  2. What does your line look like when you have no traffic going through it now? If it's the same as your post a few days ago, it looks like that's the cause of these spikes i.e. they are there no matter what you do

• Administrators

Yes that is an unstable connection. It is up to you if you wish to invest in a new modem but that may fix your problem.

Hi jack I'm sorry to bug you man! I notice something today in the morning on the pingplotter program today!! So.....I decided to flood my network streaming Netflix on my smart TV and on my phone!! I notice that my QOS wasn't really not taking any affect on my network!! So I had to reboot my router !! Why is this happening?

this is when i reboot the router!

https://share.pingplotter.com/ZcysQSdnUzF.png

why do i have to reboot everytime the router for the QOS to take affect?

Hi jack I'm sorry to bug you man! I notice something today in the morning on the pingplotter program today!! So.....I decided to flood my network streaming Netflix on my smart TV and on my phone!! I notice that my QOS wasn't really not taking any affect on my network!! So I had to reboot my router !! Why is this happening?

this is when i reboot the router!

https://share.pingplotter.com/ZcysQSdnUzF.png

why do i have to reboot everytime the router for the QOS to take affect?

Did you have anti-bufferbloat set to ‘Always’ when running your test? If you had it set to ‘when high priority traffic detected’ and there was no high priority traffic i.e. a games console then you would see spikes as anti-bufferbloat would not be active.

Also, please don’t post the same question in multiple different threads. That makes support more difficult and may actually delay your question being answered. Thanks

• Administrators

Did you have anti-bufferbloat set to ‘Always’ when running your test? If you had it set to ‘when high priority traffic detected’ and there was no high priority traffic i.e. a games console then you would see spikes as anti-bufferbloat would not be active.

Also, please don’t post the same question in multiple different threads. That makes support more difficult and may actually delay your question being answered. Thanks

Please try this Blameless. You should never need to reset it for QoS to work, just make sure you have it set to 'Always' mode when you're doing these tests.