• Administrators

I believe so, should work fine. You might want to check out this thread which has our community’s opinions about different modems etc: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20681-best-gaming-modems-opinions/

CM1000 and SB8200 interact kind of funky with the XR500 (really any Docsis 3.1 modem does). I think this is largely due to Docsis-PIE that's incorporated into all Docsis 3.1 modems. In other words it has its own Upload QoS built-in and I'm not sure it interacts well with DumaOS.

I imagine that it's something they're investigating, but for now I'd still recommend them being that relatively new to the market and can only improve.

CM1000 is good choice, it provides good reliable connection, if your area supports docsis 3.1, go with it. Tested it with 150mbps and now upgraded to 1gbps.(when i had sb8200 and 1gbps it was disconnecting twice a day)

CM1000 is superior to SB8200  and MB8600 why? :)

- they fixed the bug with random disconnect, when arris sbb8200 has low upstream signal - bellow 36dbmv - it will disconnect randomly.

- customer support for CM1000 exist, where with SB8200 does not, you will be running around and listening automated manual, Motorola does not work with customers very well, Motorola MB8600 is out due to customer support issue.(Arris operated by Motorola)

CM1000 is good choice, it provides good reliable connection, if your area supports docsis 3.1, go with it. Tested it with 150mbps and now upgraded to 1gbps.(when i had sb8200 and 1gbps it was disconnecting twice a day)

CM1000 is superior to SB8200 and MB8600 why? :)

- they fixed the bug with random disconnect, when arris sbb8200 has low upstream signal - bellow 36dbmv - it will disconnect randomly.

- customer support for CM1000 exist, where with SB8200 does not, you will be running around and listening automated manual, Motorola does not work with customers very well, Motorola MB8600 is out due to customer support issue.(Arris operated by Motorola)

If you're below 36 on the upload spectrum with any Docsis 3.1 modem you're out of spec and regardless of what modem you're using you should shoot for above 45 and below 52. That way you're above the noise floor.

You're issue likely wasn't the SB8200 but moreso your line that needs attention.

Not necessary it will depend on signal to nose ratio i am almost at 40db, and another one is that CM1000 has better out of the box stats, try to ask your provider to attenuate in line amplifiers, so your signal can go up.

+1 towards CM1000 on the spec- specification calls for 38-48dbmv compare to 45dbmv-51dbmv(that could be achieved in the lab for many users who has Comcast, but note that Comcast has a range 35-55dbmv with automated adjustment of upstream if signal quality is low), you will be surprised that Comcast modems work with 33dbmv, and do not drop connection.

I will give you a few stats and you can compare... my case:

SB8200

signal to noise 39Db

Downstream average: 0-1 dbmv

upstream average: 36-38dbmv

CM1000

signal to noise ratio: 39.5 Db

downstream average: 0-1dbmv

up average: 40.5-42dbvm

in my case provider was not willing to regulate power on the modem or do any changes to the line amplifiers, and arriss was not willing to investigate disconnect issue, since upstream signal  was bellow 45dbmv. I was not willing to put directional attenuation on the modem, since i have perfect downstream.... there is probability that sb8200 had ARP table corruption, since even 192.168.100.1 was not accessible issue is similar to Ethernet ports disconnect ....similar to XR500.

So SB8200 has too many points of failure  :)

Not necessary it will depend on signal to nose ratio i am almost at 40db, and another one is that CM1000 has better out of the box stats, try to ask your provider to attenuate in line amplifiers, so your signal can go up.

+1 towards CM1000 on the spec- specification calls for 38-48dbmv compare to 45dbmv-51dbmv(that could be achieved in the lab for many users who has Comcast, but not at home Comcast has a range 35-55dbmv with automated adjustment of upstream if signal quality is low), you will be surprised that Comcast modems work with 33dbmv, and do not drop connection.

I will give you a few stats and you can compare... my case:

SB8200

signal to noise 39Db

Downstream average: 0-1 dbmv

upstream average: 36-38dbmv

CM1000

signal to noise ratio: 39.5 Db

downstream average: 0-1dbmv

up average: 40.5-42dbvm

in my case provider was not willing to regulate power on the modem or do any changes to the line amplifiers, and arriss was not willing to investigate disconnect issue, since upstream signal was bellow 45dbmv. I was not willing to put directional actuator on the modem, since i have perfect downstream.... there is probability that sb8200 had ARP table corruption, since even 192.168.100.1 was not accessible, Ethernet ports would disconnect similar to XR500.

So SB8200 has too many points of failure :)

My CM1000 gave me slightly higher upstream as well. I use a splitter for a boost as well on my line. Regardless I still opted for the SB8200 as it's a bit more up to date spec wise and the build quality is a little better.

To each their own they're arguably the two best and I've tried them both.

I do not use any attenuation, did not want to reduce downstream signal. The difference in signal is significant 3dbmv.

also +1 on heat dispersion  Sb8200 runs significantly hotter compare to CM1000, heat is a problem particular when dust starts building up in a year or two, it will work like insulator, overheating the components...potentially.

I see why you can select sb8200 or mb8600 though all 3 modems have the same chip set. SB8200/mb8600/CM1000, the difference comes down in number of ports, memory and storage.

I think by the time people will start to use more then 1port, there will be better technology new modems most likely, even if you do not use memory it will still consumes power, so more not always better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned both the CM 1000 and Arris 8200 and for me not having gigabit services it was overkill for me.  I was hoping they would have an advantage over the other 3.0 routers with new built-in features.  In my case they were more unreliable than the 3.0 versions.  So right now I have the Netgear CM600 and its very stable and I don't see any errors in the logs like I saw with the Arris 8200 plus it ran hot and used a pc fan to keep it cool.  

I have owned both the CM 1000 and Arris 8200 and for me not having gigabit services it was overkill for me.  I was hoping they would have an advantage over the other 3.0 routers with new built-in features.  In my case they were more unreliable than the 3.0 versions.  So right now I have the Netgear CM600 and its very stable and I don't see any errors in the logs like I saw with the Arris 8200 plus it ran hot and used a pc fan to keep it cool.  

What about active queue management (AQM)?

http://www.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DOCSIS-AQM_May2014.pdf