Anyone know how to interpret HG612 stats?

RL317

Just been messing around on my laptop monitoring performance over trace routes (been seeing some sus traffic to the US) and trying to optimise settings, and saw something barmy in the stats...

Mode - VDSL2

Traffic type - PTM

DSL synchronisation status - Up

DSL up time - 0 (???)

Attainable rates (kbits/s) - 62052 downstream, 25264 upstream

SNR margin (dB) - 12.3 downstream, 0 upstream

Line attenuation (dB) - 13.6 downstream, 1.7 upstream

Output power (dBmV) - 13.6 downstream, 1.7 upstream

Line rate (kbits/s) - 55000 downstream, 9999 upstream (path 0)

CRC errors - 126 downstream, 127 downstream

FEC errors - 0 downstream, 0 upstream

HEC errors - 122 downstream, 4294967290 upstream

Umm... 4.3 billion errors? Please tell me it's just trolling? LOL I don't know how to telnet BTW; that's totally foreign to me.

Also for anyone who's using the HG612 - what am I supposed to use for DSL latency (path 0 or 1 or both) and PTM priority (normal high or both)? Thanks.

Edit - also what do I need to use for 802.1p? I know the VLAN ID for BT Infinity is 101 but idk what the value below it is for. The possible range is 0 to 7.

4.3b errors... no wonder CoD plays like crap LOL.

LMAO

Idk what to make of it but yeah, it's been pretty miserable to say the least.

dsl latency path = 0

ptm priority = normal

vlan = 101 range 0

802.1p = http://www.tech-faq.com/8021p.html

If I was you I would run a pp test and if the graph is bad then you probably have a line fault, faulty faceplate on wall or a cable issue, either ethernet or the rj11 - rj45 cable  going from modem to faceplate! it is a process of elimination but having errors in the order of billions is a concern.

You should better call your internet service provider since your db snr upstream margin is too low, and you may also incur in some packets lost or connection drops

dsl latency path = 0

ptm priority = normal

vlan = 101 range 0

802.1p = http://www.tech-faq.com/8021p.html

If I was you I would run a pp test and if the graph is bad then you probably have a line fault, faulty faceplate on wall or a cable issue, either ethernet or the rj11 - rj45 cable going from modem to faceplate! it is a process of elimination but having errors in the order of billions is a concern.

Thanks man. A search last night found me that link about 802.1p but I still can't find what I'm supposed to set it to lol. All I could find was a couple of suggestions for Plusnet and Sky I think.

PingPlotter results are fine actually. Had an inkling 4.3 billion was too bad to be true but it's my first time seeing a GUI that lists errors like that so I didn't know whay to think lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you web search HG612 stat's you will find they are broken and not to use them.

So users tend to use HG612 Modem Stats

I would double check with this tool first before believing anything listed by the HG itself.

Oh really? Damn, I see the easy lazy method of checking things is out then haha. Cheers, I'll give that a try later today assuming it works with Windows 10. It only mentions Vista/7/8 on the download page.

You should better call your internet service provider since your db snr upstream margin is too low, and you may also incur in some packets lost or connection drops

Could that possibly be an incorrect value too? I don't think I saw anything with a 0 next to it when looking at my Smart Hub or TP Link W9970 GUIs, but it's been a while since I've used those so I'd probably need to reconnect one of them to confirm.

I've not had any connection drops (other than when my Smart Hub would occasionally update its firmware automatically) since I joined BT in September 2016 and neither a thinkbroadband BQM nor PingPlotter show any packet loss. Despite that I see a lot of gameplay on the PS4 where it feels like I'm dropping packets lol

Could that possibly be an incorrect value too? I don't think I saw anything with a 0 next to it when looking at my Smart Hub or TP Link W9970 GUIs, but it's been a while since I've used those so I'd probably need to reconnect one of them to confirm.

I've not had any connection drops (other than when my Smart Hub would occasionally update its firmware automatically) since I joined BT in September 2016 and neither a thinkbroadband BQM nor PingPlotter show any packet loss. Despite that I see a lot of gameplay on the PS4 where it feels like I'm dropping packets lol

This could be a stat error check out that tool, it should work on 10.

Plugged my Smart Hub back in as after using the above recommended HG612 settings I was noticing serious issues in CoD, so I just put it away. Too much faffing about. Anyway, the technical log says this:

Firmware version: SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated: 28-Mar-2018

Board version: 1.0

Gui version: 1.64.0

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 4 Minutes 46 Seconds

Data rate: 10.00 Mbps / 55.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate: 25739 / 62977

Noise margin: 22.2 dB / 7.9 dB

Line attenuation: 12.5 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI: 0/38

Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type: Fast Path

Is it normal to only have a single value for line attenuation, and nothing for signal attenuation?

Alright cheers. I tried looking up the definitions of attenuation and noise margin back when I first got the Smart Hub and I remember people not having the missing stats issue on older Home Hubs. There have been many 6A firmware updates since then... you'd think they'd have fixed that by now -_-

I use the HG612 I just don’t look at the stats.

I check my ping with ping plotter and check my throuput now and again, and bask in the happiness of Duma software and the love of gaming.

I don’t see may happy gamers, I just don’t get it, gaming is incredible I love it.

Might be my age seeing it from near conception to now, what a journey, happy days.

Does ping compensation get it wrong sometimes yes and no wonder with people playing on connections where there family if streaming while the enemy games with no QOS.

Just back out and start an new one up I say.

I use the HG612 I just don’t look at the stats.

I check my ping with ping plotter and check my throuput now and again, and bask in the happiness of Duma software and the love of gaming.

I don’t see may happy gamers, I just don’t get it, gaming is incredible I love it.

Might be my age seeing it from near conception to now, what a journey, happy days.

Does ping compensation get it wrong sometimes yes and no wonder with people playing on connections where there family if streaming while the enemy games with no QOS.

Just back out and start an new one up I say.

Lol yeah, but there's only so much backing out I can do after getting 200ms hitmarker delays on a flat 7ms vs someone dropping packets and desyncing that I can handle before I end up with a headache. All that says to me is other people's setups are affecting my experience.

When it's actually smooth and responsive it's fun. Problem is the connection on the same server at the same latency (even in the same lobby) is so variable you can't just play on a superb connection, rely on skill only and expect to enjoy it constantly, because that smooth and responsive game comes around maybe 1 in every 100 to 250 games... on the same server. No point putting time in to end up with superb aim if centre mass shots won't give you hitmarkers for example :D I've not had consistently good connections since Ghosts, even though I was on inconsistent and constantly jittering cable back then. Love me some sour tasting irony.

Getting bored of it tbh. All I've done for the last four years is constantly improve my setup and connections get objectively worse. Delayed hitmarkers, none at all, skippy one frame super damage spike deaths, even aim assist being thrown out of whack. All I do now is get on, record some lols to facepalm over because the game clearly isn't playing as 7ms should, then get off after half an hour.

I considered looking into my line because my game doesn't look like how others' run, but if there was a line problem I should be having latency, jitter or packet loss issues. But still the game plays like I'm dropping packets. I kind of wish the R1 ping graph had a live PL counter (like you get on the H1Z1 GUI or something) but I daresay the ping payloads are only 60 odd bytes or something so it probably wouldn't tell me the whole story.

Something's definitely wrong; I just can't think of what it might be as I seem to have gone through the list of possibilities five times over. Hey, maybe using the R1 in the same power socket that my Virgin Media Superhub was plugged into when it got zapped by lightning is causing power level issues or something :D *sigh*

You can’t control what the enemy’s set up is sadly.

I say ban anyone who doesn’t have a sound QOS from gaming, as if though haha.

I still love gaming though, Cod, BF, Ow, starwars, even far cry 5 that’s a weird PvP shooter.

Just back out till you get a good one.

I still think you gotta line issue somewhere RL.

Like you said, your experience is absolutely nothing like anyone elses.

If all it were was 'the other guy' playing on crap connection, then I must always play against Duma users with 1ms monitors.

How come you seem to only play against saudis, arabs and turks on UK dedi yet I only play against folk from the EU?

I'm telling ya dude, buy a second hand Xbox and if its still plays like crap, give up. Its literally the only thing you haven't tried.

I still think you gotta line issue somewhere RL.

Like you said, your experience is absolutely nothing like anyone elses.

If all it were was 'the other guy' playing on crap connection, then I must always play against Duma users with 1ms monitors.

How come you seem to only play against saudis, arabs and turks on UK dedi yet I only play against folk from the EU?

I'm telling ya dude, buy a second hand Xbox and if its still plays like crap, give up. Its literally the only thing you haven't tried.

Last night was the worst for a long time. Literally every game (and unlike most these days, I don't use the word literally out of context) gave me weird lagging hitmarkers lol. I recorded every game just because of the sheer disbelief. I'm getting these sound ping results on the PS4 so it can't be a cable or port issue or anything like that.

You can tell there's an issue in player movement too. It's like the game is throwing tonnes of packets of data and actions at me at once, as people seem to fly around corners at 700mph with regular jumps, but apparently my own movement is super slow and easy to follow. I saved this hilarious clip of a guy who seemed to use super Rushdown to his left, moving so fast my max sensitivity couldn't keep up even at an angle of just 45°, but in the killcam all he did was a regular slide ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Definitely tempted to pick up an XB1 and try that out now. But at the same time my stubbornness kicks in because other people don't see this on PS4...

Believe me mate my connection on cod for the last few weeks has gone completely messed up,my line seems to play well for a week or 2 then it goes totally tits up,the things you are experiencing sound the same as what im getting right now,my 6 down 1 up connection i had when ghosts came out before i had duma was the best connection ive played on,all of your line stats are exactly same as mine as i screenshotted my bt line stats before i put in the HG612 but i cant access my HG612 stats otherwise id have a look at what mine are saying,i had a few games of ww2 last night and i went negative 2 games on the bounce and i do not go negative lol even when my connection is messed up,its like im completly out of sync to the rest of the lobby its been like this for 5 years since living in this new house but the thing is i know for a fact that in a week or so my hit reg will start getting better/stronger before i will feel like im a second in front of the enemy but it wont last,unless you actually experience it first hand then it doeant sound beleivable but i know exactly what you are getting and the headache

Long time solo player, ps4 Duma owner and lurker, I experience the same types of lobbies as you Saudis Turks Sweden Finland Denmark and the worst for me Dutch !!! Any of these in the lobby it's hard work. I know when it's bad as I can't track anyone across screen ,fire right through people ,3 bursts of a rekt to kill and aim assist suddenly flying off.

Had a weeks worth of being killed by people with hex symbols in the kill cam. It's just crap being killed a couple off a nuke being instamelted across map with a karma.

Best experience I had was on cable playing on a TV in Ghosts. My memory sucks so I had to go back through five years of Amazon order history to find out when I first got a monitor, as I didn't believe it was for that long. Turns out I got my first one in April 2015, so I'd been playing Ghosts (and as much Advanced Seattle Serverfare as I could tolerate) on a crappy little TV for 17 months lmao. And that was back when I used near minimum sensitivity and averaged around 18% accuracy at best for the first six months or so. Never had issues feeling like I was behind the action despite all that. I even played on American servers with mates for clan wars and had fun. Today I play like I'm on Adderall and it's not fast enough to keep up with the windmill aim no quickdraw slow firing AR guy with connection icons on his screen LOL. If the connection's bad I get a headache; if it's good I get accused of keyboarding or cheating. I can't win.

I had two games on the UK server last night that felt good. Before that I'd had around 12 more of these laggy games so the change was obvious. And then it went back to stuttery, audibly and visibly delayed hitmarkers and people appearing out of nowhere for another 7 or so games before I got off. It plays like I've got packet loss yet there are no symbols on my screen -_- I can't figure out what links these bad games and what changes in the good ones, because in the couple of games where hit detection was good I was still on 7.6ms~ to the UK server. The prelobby host was 32ms in Germany, but I doubt that made a difference because I was using the CoD Ultimate profile so every prelobby host selected before transferring to a server was <50ms.

For the past few weeks I've been messing around with R1 settings, but last night I used as standard a setup as you could get (CoD Ultimate, 70% preemptive, no IPv6, only cookies enabled in misc, auto everything in WAN and LAN, and auto setup on the PS4). The last time I used that "typical" setup was on the 21st of April, and it was far better in most games on the same server. Last night it played smooth in not even 10% of games?

I average 0.2ms jitter on a bad day so why is the connection so different feeling from game to game, even in the same lobby against the same players on the same server?

Believe me mate my connection on cod for the last few weeks has gone completely messed up,my line seems to play well for a week or 2 then it goes totally tits up,the things you are experiencing sound the same as what im getting right now,my 6 down 1 up connection i had when ghosts came out before i had duma was the best connection ive played on,all of your line stats are exactly same as mine as i screenshotted my bt line stats before i put in the HG612 but i cant access my HG612 stats otherwise id have a look at what mine are saying,i had a few games of ww2 last night and i went negative 2 games on the bounce and i do not go negative lol even when my connection is messed up,its like im completly out of sync to the rest of the lobby its been like this for 5 years since living in this new house but the thing is i know for a fact that in a week or so my hit reg will start getting better/stronger before i will feel like im a second in front of the enemy but it wont last,unless you actually experience it first hand then it doeant sound beleivable but i know exactly what you are getting and the headache

You are playing WW2 though. We all know the servers are total trash. RL is playing... or trying to play IW which plays almost flawless for me despite me and RL being roughly the same distance from the UK server, being on the same ISP and having the same base ping and using pretty much all the same equipment. The difference between his and my experience is night and day.

You are playing WW2 though. We all know the servers are total trash. RL is playing... or trying to play IW which plays almost flawless for me despite me and RL being roughly the same distance from the UK server, being on the same ISP and having the same base ping and using pretty much all the same equipment. The difference between his and my experience is night and day.

Yeah WW2 is just... no comment lol

Servers are fine for me on IW or WWII but i know when I am not on form as time of day state of mind etc all play a part in how I play.

I am not a computer my reactions change up to 100ms in different situations even in the same game if my mind drifts from the scenario of that game for a brief time.

Is IW easier, yeah all the sweats are on the latest cod for the most part so i can be a little lax playing that.

Do the above sometimes get called the lobby must be out of sync, it cant be super human me of course lol.

WWII is great, just get your sweatpants on and go for it.