XR500 robbing modem of 12Mbps ?

Just noticed something unusual....

With Bufferfloat Disabled....

Modem reports 72Mbps DL and 14Mbps UL, XR500 Reports speeds at 60Mbps DL and 13Mbps UL , and Speedtest.net reports speeds at 58Mbps DL and 10Mbps UL.....? Where are my missing Mbps going ?

Modem Stats

modem_1.jpg

XR500 reported Speedtest

XR500speeds.jpg

Speedtest.net speeds

speedtest.jpg

Under Anti-Bufferbloat give it the bandwidth you get from your modem then ensure you're not throttling and do a speed test. Are they your full speeds?

QoS was disabled during testing...

• Administrators

Even so give it the bandwidth from your modem and try again please. If QoS is disabled then it doesn't point to a DumaOS issue so could be the ethernet cable between the hub and router - so try replacing that with a new one also

Even so give it the bandwidth from your modem and try again please. If QoS is disabled then it doesn't point to a DumaOS issue so could be the ethernet cable between the hub and router - so try replacing that with a new one also

Using CAT6 cable between modem and router (12 inch)  (also tested others same results)

Re-entered modem reported speeds into XR500 and QoS disabled.

Re-ran XR500 speedtest, slight improvement but still losing speeds somwehere....?

XR500 internal speedtest and Speedtest.net test tally up, but not with modem speeds....?

xrtest2.jpg

xrtest2a.jpg

Can you try some different speed test servers please. The difference is so small relatively that I doubt it's the router doing anything specifically to limit it.

5 tests - 5 servers, almost identical results.

still dont know why XR500 dropping some of the speed that modem reports...?

speed_1.jpg

speed_2.jpg

speed_3.jpg

speed_4.jpg

speed_5.jpg

• Administrators

It doesn’t make sense really why you’re seeing a small drop unless there is something else drawing bandwidth. Take a look at the network monitor and see if any device is using roughly that much bandwidth. I’ve found that happening before and it’s been a windows update

i also noticed that 72ms ping!!!! OUCH! infact your ping is all over the place! Run a pingplotter test and show us your graph!

i also noticed that 72ms ping!!!! OUCH! infact your ping is all over the place! Run a pingplotter test and show us your graph!

5 different servers used for example only

Do you use PPPoE user names authentication on the XR500?

At a sync of 72 you will probably see around 91% of that because of overheads.

Do you use PPPoE user names authentication on the XR500?

At a sync of 72 you will probably see around 91% of that because of overheads.

yep, PPPoE

I have been toying with the thought of attempting to get the modem to do all the PPPoE work and the router do the rest. But just havent gotten round to testing it as yet.

• Administrators

yep, PPPoE

I have been toying with the thought of attempting to get the modem to do all the PPPoE work and the router do the rest. But just havent gotten round to testing it as yet.

If you have a spare router put that between the modem and XR500 to handle PPPoE and let us know if that resolves it please.

If you have a spare router put that between the modem and XR500 to handle PPPoE and let us know if that resolves it please.

Thanks Fraser, but i think Zennon's post hit the nail.... I remember the same thing happening with my previous Nighthawk R7000 , PPPoE overheads makes sense... .

I must look into setting my unlocked Openreach HG612 modem to use PPPoE,  together with the XR500.

I'm just afraid to start as it may bugger-up all my current settings for CCTV, remote access, Teamviewer, Filtering on DNS etc etc. it all more or less works at present and don't want to mess it up.

if anyone here has done this setup already, please post details on the HG612 modem settings, and the XR500 settings. Would save me a load of experimentation time.....

thanks

If my mind serves me right I think big dog has used the HG612 with PPPoE give him a message he will be happy to post a how too I am sure.

just sent him a guide in a PM to help him out.

This is the guide I used. You don't have to follow the whole guide, just the part to enable pppoe on the hg612.

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged into the modem via LAN 2 not LAN 1

and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password.

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click on Submit

The modem will now handle the PPPoE connection.
To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left
and simply tick the Enable DHCP server box, then click on Submit

AFTER CONPLETION CONNECT YOUR ROUTER TO LAN 1 & REBOOT ROUTER!

This is the guide I used. You don't have to follow the whole guide, just the part to enable pppoe on the hg612.

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged into the modem via LAN 2 not LAN 1

and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password.

On the left, go to Basic > WAN

Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2

Connection Mode: Route

Connection Type: PPPoE

User name: Your FTTC username

Password: Your FTTC password

Click on Submit

The modem will now handle the PPPoE connection.

To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left

and simply tick the Enable DHCP server box, then click on Submit

thanks

been chatting via PM with Big_Dog and also posting on Kitz forum.

Still not really getting anywhere as yet other than getting the modem to connect to DSL ok, just not the router.

noticed a weird line at the beginning , .Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged into the modem via LAN 2 not LAN 1

Can you tell me why LAN 2 is preferred here over LAN 1 ? 

Maybe thats where i went wrong, i still have a LAN cable going from Router WAN to LAN 1 on modem, and from LAN 2 on modem to LAN port on router ?

is this a wrong connection method?

that is when configuring the modem, once configured lan 1 is used, I thought you knew that! :(  Lan 2 can be used if lan binding is disabled and the modem is using dhcp! When you have configured the modem for pppoe again connect your router to lan 1 and do a power cycle of the router.  I have edited my above post adding the part to connect to lan 1 after configuration.

that is when configuring the modem, once configured lan 1 is used, I thought you knew that! :(  Lan 2 can be used if lan binding is disabled and the modem is using dhcp! When you have configured the modem for pppoe again connect your router to lan 1 and do a power cycle of the router.  I have edited my above post adding the part to connect to lan 1 after configuration.

ok, so Router WAN to Modem LAN1 ? yes ?

remove Modem LAN 2 cable completely yes ?

what DHCP range should i set in the modem ?  (the modems IP is 192.168.2.15)

my routers IP is 192.168.2.1

cheers