Slow Internet Speeds

Hi there, first time post here.

So I've read a lot of the the guides and looked at a lot of posts similar to my issue and I can't seem to find a solution that works for me, so... here goes.

My setup is a Cable Modem > Netduma router.

When wired directly to the modem my internet speeds are 350+ Down and 35+ Up. (ISP is Spectrum)

When connected to the Netduma, Wireless or wired, my speeds are 80~ Down and 20~ Up.

Ping seems to be okay for the most part. Around 30, but sometimes spikes to around 200+.

No VPN. Firmware is what it came with. Ordered week of April 23rd.

The rest of the settings are included in screenshots. (attached)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-30759-0-95465700-1525395388_thumb.png

post-30759-0-46573300-1525395394_thumb.png

post-30759-0-47417500-1525395400_thumb.png

post-30759-0-46836200-1525395404_thumb.png

post-30759-0-64991300-1525395409_thumb.png

post-30759-0-29736600-1525395414_thumb.png

Yep! That seemed to make it worse though.

Through trial and error I did find out that Deep Packet Processing brings it down to about 40/10, so I keep that disabled.

Disabling that, from factory settings, seems to be the only thing that helps.

Thanks for the response btw!

Yep! That seemed to make it worse though.

Through trial and error I did find out that Deep Packet Processing brings it down to about 40/10, so I keep that disabled.

Disabling that, from factory settings, seems to be the only thing that helps.

Thanks for the response btw!

Did you enter your speeds and then let it auto-configure? Your settings all look to be good though

Yep, sure did!

The auto-config did most of that.

As for the custom settings:

Added two hyper-traffic lanes.

Added manual Cloudflare DNS.

Disabled Deep Packet Processing.

Set MTU to 1460.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Just tried it, and it did seem to help a bit. Did a few tests and averaged out to 90/22.

Question though. I'm not super great at networking things. I haven't done anything in the WAN settings, and everything is disabled except MTU. Is that ok?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Just tried it, and it did seem to help a bit. Did a few tests and averaged out to 90/22.

Question though. I'm not super great at networking things. I haven't done anything in the WAN settings, and everything is disabled except MTU. Is that ok?

IPv6 should also be disabled

• Administrators

Hi Emperor - great advice from ModBox above. You can also let the router set it up for optimal speeds by going to Device Manager and clicking Set Bandwidth and entering your correct speeds. Then when the router asks you if you would like it to setup your settings, confirm you would. But it sounds like your settings are good for now so no need to use this now if you don’t want to.

Hello there, Admin!

Yea, props to MoDBoX for helping me out. Thanks!

Those are the exact steps I followed. That resulted in speeds of about 40/10, so I had to disable Deep Packet Processing to get it to where it is now.

I've ordered some CAT 7 cables that should arrive tomorrow. My connection is pretty simple so there's not much I can think of to do. It's just Wall Cable > Modem > Ethernet Cable > Netduma > Ethernet Cable > PC. The cables are the last thing I can think of that could be a point of contention. I don't think I can get into my Modem settings, but I haven't really tried since it seemed fine.

If my settings on the Netduma are good, and new cables aren't the answer, is there anything else I can do?

• Administrators

I would then try enabling Super Turbo in miscellaneous settings and rerun the speedtest. See if that changes the result

Yeah for raw throughput the general consensus is that DPI should be disabled, IPv6 disabled in WAN and LAN as well as IPv6 link local in miscellaneous, and turbo mode should be enabled. Double check via a ping command (ping google.com -f -l 1472) that your MTU is 1500 as it should be with cable because lowering that will affect throughput. Then ensure you have no device prio enabled (reset distribution button on the congestion control page), and keep 100% reactive while testing your bandwidth. You may need to use super turbo to get up to 350Mb down but I don't have over 100Mb so I've never been able to test how the turbo settings affect things.

It may be worth trying auto DNS for a test too. If I swap to 8.8.8.8 for example I notice bandwidth drops, but to be fair Cloudfare works fine for me compared to my ISP's DNS :)

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, just ran some more tests.

I enabled Super Turnbo, turned on Auto DNS, and made sure IPv6 was disabled in LAN, WAN, and MISC. I only have my PC plugged in so I can't change device priority.

Had no change in speed in any setting, seperate or together.

I did one ping test (lllRL's suggestion) and got these results (attached). Unfortunately, I don't really know what to make of them haha.

post-30759-0-64148000-1525473451_thumb.png

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, just ran some more tests.

I enabled Super Turnbo, turned on Auto DNS, and made sure IPv6 was disabled in LAN, WAN, and MISC. I only have my PC plugged in so I can't change device priority.

Had no change in speed in any setting, seperate or together.

I did one ping test (lllRL's suggestion) and got these results (attached). Unfortunately, I don't really know what to make of them haha.

The ping was just to make sure your MTU should be 1500. As long as it's set to auto or manually set to 1500 in the R1 WAN and LAN tabs you should be good there.

I'm not sure what to make of the lower bandwidth though. I wish I had experience using turbo and super turbo so that I could advise on that but I've never had more than 100Mb :/

It's cool, thanks for the suggestions though!

So, I've been messing around with the Cap Sliders and found some pretty weird behavior. I did speed tests at varying percentages and recorded the results. Did 5 runs each and took the average. I know that's not a lot, but maybe it'll provide some insight?

post-30759-0-37985900-1525475884_thumb.png

So the Upload slider seemed to work decently well, but had some diminishing returns the higher the percent went. The download was... all over the place to say the least haha.

So, I've been messing around with the Cap Sliders and found some pretty weird behavior. I did speed tests at varying percentages and recorded the results. Did 5 runs each and took the average. I know that's not a lot, but maybe it'll provide some insight?

attachicon.gifSpeed Tests.png

So the Upload slider seemed to work decently well, but had some diminishing returns the higher the percent went. The download was... all over the place to say the least haha.

What modem do you have?

• Administrators

attachicon.gifSpeed Tests.png

This is very useful, thanks for collating. I'm thinking your Device Prioritisation may be causing the problem. Could you go to this feature (in Congestion Control) and make sure Share Excess is checked for both the Upload and Download. Then on each of them, click Reset Distribution (you will need to do this once for Upload and then again for Download).

There are two other possibilities I can think of as well:

1. Another device in your home is connected to your modem and is eating up a load of bandwidth. Could this be happening? This is unlikely given your high speeds but you never know
  2. Incorrect values have been entered for your total bandwidth. Could you go back to Device Manager and check you have definitely entered your expected total speeds in the correct boxes

Hi Admin,

I don't think device priority is an issue, as I only have 1 PC connected at any time. I did do another factory reset, changed the speed and did an auto-config. No changes there.

Side note though, UPNP was disabled everywhere when I did factory reset. Would that have an affect on speed?

Then the new CAT 7 cables came in and I plugged one between the modem and router, and another between the router and PC.

My wired connection is now averaging about 290/28, which is a drastic improvement. I'm going to chalk that up the the cheap Wal-Mart cables I had.

Unfortunately, the wireless connection is still low. Around 70/20 now.

Some strange behavior I'm seeing now though is that, on wired, anything less than 100% on DL/UL cap cuts speed by at least half. (intended?)

• Administrators

That's good to hear. It sounds like it was a bad cable then. The wireless speed is limited to around 70mbps so everything is working as it should now. If you have another router you can put that other router into Access Point mode to take advantage of its better WiFi.