Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

XR500 Update Wishlist (Mods/Devs Tag Thread)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

rckrz6

rckrz6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 AM
  • LocationRochester, NY USA

Question.. just curious as to why anyone would spend more money on a "Gaming router" like the XR500 when you don't use it for it's primary purpose of gaming?

Wouldn't you have been better off with a traditional Netgear router like the R7800 instead and save the extra money if it's intended purpose was not for gaming and just hardware devices that aren't gaming related?

Just saying the XR500 is an AWESOME router one of the best I've owned so far and the DUMA OS for gaming is spectacular and granted it does have powerful hardware to handle more than just gaming but if not used for gaming why spend the extra money?

DumaOS is alot better then netgears admin page by a long shot

Toni169

Toni169

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 AM
Yes right...but it doesn‘t matter if you can play with the sliders...it is very important for me if you can click a button what kontrolls your bufferbloat and give you the best result... cause everybody has different bandwitth and the bandwith of everyone is not stable everytime, it changes how i said more or less..

Zennon

Zennon

• Administrators
  • 6,863 posts
  • LocationUK

Yes right...but it doesn‘t matter if you can play with the sliders...it is very important for me if you can click a button what kontrolls your bufferbloat and give you the best result... cause everybody has different bandwitth and the bandwith of everyone is not stable everytime, it changes how i said more or less..

70% is a good setting as it gives 30% headroom for the ping to stay jitter free.

If your bandwidth is changing then your ISP has congestion in your area and that is not good at all as you will be seeing jitter caused by this and that needs reporting to them.

For CC to constantly monitor the line for speed changes it would need to keep doing speed test's which would saturate the line at 100% causing jitter, it would use lots of bandwidth over time.

Or there could be an button that when you press it does a speed test that re enters your speeds for that press (that already exists) a congested line will increase and decrease up and down in short spaces of time though.

If my speeds were up and down per day and my line stat sync was reporting fine I would be reporting it and if moving ISP if they did not see it as a problem.

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUK

Traffic Prioritization is for low bandwidth applications i.e. games so putting high bandwidth applications under this would have an adverse affect.

It would be great for the XR500 to recognise devices like TV's, Tablets, printers, media devices and smartphones etc and define bandwidth for those as a starting point in QoS maybe. That would give the best of both worlds as having DumaOS recognise these devices and give a predetermined value just to start off with to help people work out what should be given to what device in QoS.

I have seen some people put off by guessing traffic priority though the petal device and not being sure what percentage download and upload to give devices like Smart TV's etc so maybe if some of the guesswork was taken out that would be useful. As long as it can be manually changed if needed of course. Some people game and love the gaming features but also at times would appreciate maybe having the router take some of the guess work out by recognising some common devices and letting the XR500 offer a percentage upload and download bandwidth setting in QoS as a guide when you set what devices you have up, otherwise some people may just select detect high priority traffic and miss out of the routers great QoS feature.

With devices like smart TV's  making 4K streaming a lot more common now, and other devices like printers needing very little bandwidth taking the guess work out would help maybe. I mean for some if you have say 15 plus devices how do you decide what should have more upload or more download bandwidth and by how much. It can be a bit daunting. I have seen people post on YouTube say that they have bought the router because of the great GUi and geo filter etc and set anti-bufferbloat to 70% but they are lost in QoS and wont dare touch it.

Netgears default is to have all this turned off anyway which is a waste. Not all devices need bandwidth shared equally either and having a few bandwidth rules for a few well known type of devices as a pointer in QoS may help. Just a thought. :)

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

Thanks KH - we have expanded device recognition on our roadmap. 

We'll keep looking into more auto-settings to make it work even more out of the box. The challenge is achieving this without confusing people. For example, if we automatically enabled Anti-Bufferbloat without any user configruation, this forum would be inundated with 'why is my speed lower?' threads!

Appreciate the feedback.

Killhippie

Killhippie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUK

Thanks KH - we have expanded device recognition on our roadmap. 

We'll keep looking into more auto-settings to make it work even more out of the box. The challenge is achieving this without confusing people. For example, if we automatically enabled Anti-Bufferbloat without any user configruation, this forum would be inundated with 'why is my speed lower?' threads!

Appreciate the feedback.

I agree, I don't think it should be automatically enabled out of the box, but with some auto recognition or just defined bandwidth rules in QoS to help people that may be something that would let new users use QoS without being bewildered, I think some simple bandwidth rules for phones, tablets and IoT's would be really useful, how much bandwidth does Alexa need compared with your Smart TV or Phone or Wireless speaker in a percentage both for upload and download? That could get complicated and confusing. Since the XR500 is in essence a R7800 maybe FQ-Codel is still be baked in under the netduma layer? Maybe using some of that information in QoS could be used? Or the netduma team just doing this themselves for some known devices would be great. 

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ
Ok, thanks for clarifying. Some really good ideas.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users