XR500 Update Wishlist (Mods/Devs Tag Thread)

Guest Killhippie

Thanks KH - we have expanded device recognition on our roadmap. 

We'll keep looking into more auto-settings to make it work even more out of the box. The challenge is achieving this without confusing people. For example, if we automatically enabled Anti-Bufferbloat without any user configruation, this forum would be inundated with 'why is my speed lower?' threads!

Appreciate the feedback.

I agree, I don't think it should be automatically enabled out of the box, but with some auto recognition or just defined bandwidth rules in QoS to help people that may be something that would let new users use QoS without being bewildered, I think some simple bandwidth rules for phones, tablets and IoT's would be really useful, how much bandwidth does Alexa need compared with your Smart TV or Phone or Wireless speaker in a percentage both for upload and download? That could get complicated and confusing. Since the XR500 is in essence a R7800 maybe FQ-Codel is still be baked in under the netduma layer? Maybe using some of that information in QoS could be used? Or the netduma team just doing this themselves for some known devices would be great. 

• 9 months later...

Hi,

someone did ask around for specific apps in hybrid vpn (Netflix, amazon prime). Don’t think I seen a specific answer, does anyone know if this feature will become available or some way to define custom apps. Struggling as I want the vpn to ignore Netflix...... 

thanks dave

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Bonkeydave said:

Hi,

someone did ask around for specific apps in hybrid vpn (Netflix, amazon prime). Don’t think I seen a specific answer, does anyone know if this feature will become available or some way to define custom apps. Struggling as I want the vpn to ignore Netflix...... 

thanks dave

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is it you're trying to VPN exactly? It may be easier to use the VPN to only apply to that service and therefore ignore Netflix/Prime. It is something we could definitely add in future I'm sure but really it's just the standard internet ports that they use I imagine.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Had exact thought however the private tv channel I use unfortunately I can’t get the information out of them I need. Might just fire wire shark of something on my laptop to sniff port usage... bit of a pain..

hopefully some type of customisation of services will come in the future.

thanks for the reply

dave

• Administrators

What's the channel you're using? You can usually find the information online or as you say Wireshark if you still can't find anything. We allowed people to select ports for that customisation, usually it's just a quick google search to find the information needed