How much longer till we're gonna get custom VPN support? Having to use HMA is a joke as it's a terrible VPN service for starters and is outrageously expensive by comparison.  

Also why with HMA can we not use all available servers in their network?  

See: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24549-vpn-client-update/

​I just spoke to the Swedish support regarding Another issue, but also asked about the latest info from Netgear about an IPVanish option for VPN (which should be available with custom VPN and is included in the manual!).
​Officially, there is no other VPN provider supported but HMA.
​Unofficially, they have no clue as when they might support anyting else but HMA.
​I got the impression they've (support) got orders not to promise anything at all!
​Was it not for the promise by Netduma in the VPN-Client-Update thread, that the hybrid soultion is comming, I would have returned my XR500 by now.
​I'm starting to really dislike Netgear support...

I agree fully

Netgear support is a joke. I gave up even trying with them years ago.

seems nothing has changed reading these posts....  ;)

Before discovering this forum, i "attempted" to raise issues with Netgear. Took them 10 days to reply. the reply answered none of my concerns and was a complete waste of time and effort.

....hence me being on this forum from now on.....

• 2 weeks later...

The latest I have on this is that development for the feature will have finished by next week - this is pre testing though but good news is that it's not far off at all!

Hello Fraser,

two questions :

1) Any news about the feature ?

2) Hybrid Vpn allow kill switch settings ?

Thanks !

• Administrators

Hello Fraser,

two questions :

1) Any news about the feature ?

2) Hybrid Vpn allow kill switch settings ?

Thanks !

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I think we're in the Dev testing phase now so it will then move on to general testing this week.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by that?

• Netduma Staff

I would know if an option of kill switch will be present in Hybrid Vpn.

It's difficult to say whether the VPN hybrid feature will support kill switches. I should think that since the kill switch is 'activated' on the VPN providers end, there's no reason why it shouldn't be compatible and just cut off Internet access through the XR500. Thank you for letting us know this is something you would like to see :)

It's difficult to say whether the VPN hybrid feature will support kill switches. I should think that since the kill switch is 'activated' on the VPN providers end, there's no reason why it shouldn't be compatible and just cut off Internet access through the XR500. Thank you for letting us know this is something you would like to see :)

I think that will be a great feature (and for the classic vpn too by the way).

Thanks for your quick response, you're doing a great job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I think that will be a great feature (and for the classic vpn too by the way).

Thanks for your quick response, you're doing a great job.

After testing I can confirm there is a kill switch, you can choose whether to allow Traffic upon disconnection.

Still waiting...

We're currently testing our VPN solution on the XR500.

Noted a new firmware. (V2.3.2.18) installed immideately.
Nope! Still no VPN-choice but HMA.
Guess the custom VPN is still testing?

I'll keep waiting...

• Administrators

Noted a new firmware. (V2.3.2.18) installed immideately.

Nope! Still no VPN-choice but HMA.

Guess the custom VPN is still testing?

I'll keep waiting...

Yes still being tested at the moment 

I purchased the XR500 a little over a week ago as an upgrade over the R1. But it doesn't quite feel like an upgrade at all. The fact that custom VPN support and setting certain devices to use the VPN instead of it routing all devices on your network through the VPN are missing makes no sense to me. Who's idea was it to release this thing without custom VPN support considering the R1 had these features? It's beyond annoying that the XR50 doesn't have these features when the R1 did.  

I've been looking at the forums recently and I've seen a number of older posts months and weeks old asking about custom VPN features. The replies I'm seeing to these are "we're working in it" or "it's not ready yet". Are these features not prioritized? A $300+ "gaming router" without better VPN features than the R1 is baffling. I mean I've saw a post reply from Frasier in another thread from date March 28, 2018 saying "It is still coming don't worry, I can't give an ETA but I don't think it'll too much longer." That was over two months ago. What's the hold up?

• Administrators

We didn't say that it'd have all the R1 features from the get go. It's an entirely new operating system so new features can be developed all the time. Hybrid VPN is the next major feature to be released, much better than before and also WAY easier to manage should people want new providers etc. 

I purchased the XR500 a little over a week ago as an upgrade over the R1. But it doesn't quite feel like an upgrade at all. The fact that custom VPN support and setting certain devices to use the VPN instead of it routing all devices on your network through the VPN are missing makes no sense to me. Who's idea was it to release this thing without custom VPN support considering the R1 had these features? It's beyond annoying that the XR50 doesn't have these features when the R1 did.  

I've been looking at the forums recently and I've seen a number of older posts months and weeks old asking about custom VPN features. The replies I'm seeing to these are "we're working in it" or "it's not ready yet". Are these features not prioritized? A $300+ "gaming router" without better VPN features than the R1 is baffling. I mean I've saw a post reply from Frasier in another thread from date March 28, 2018 saying "It is still coming don't worry, I can't give an ETA but I don't think it'll too much longer." That was over two months ago. What's the hold up?

Here is some history.

- January 23rd, 2018 - Netduma Iain (CTO): "NETGEAR have already agreed to include our VPN feature in future firmware. It is a prioritised (sic) feature as well so should be available in less than a month."

Over 4 months later and no VPN.

- February 12th, 2018 - Netduma Fraser: "Just a little update, we are currently developing the VPN feature for DumaOS on the XR500, it will be in the next firmware update (after the one that comes out soon)."

This was before update 2.2.1.10 came out in March. Next update...no VPN feature.

- February 21st, 2018 - Netduma Fraser: "our VPN solution will be included and the update will be out in March."

This has been promised to me here publicly and privately with direct emails from the CTO and support. I'm really disappointed that I was told over and over again that it was coming. I was urged not to return the router by the CTO of the company saying it was coming soon. Fool me once...

We didn't say that it'd have all the R1 features from the get go. It's an entirely new operating system so new features can be developed all the time. Hybrid VPN is the next major feature to be released, much better than before and also WAY easier to manage should people want new providers etc. 

Ok. I understand that and the hybrid VPN sounds interesting. However, the router released six months ago and you haven't addressed my question about what's the hold up on this feature. I bought the R1 because of the Geo-filter and VPN options. The same applies for my recent purchase of the XR500 except I also wanted superior hardware. But based on peanut183's post above I'd really like an explanation on why this feature has been promised several times and not delivered on 5-6 months after the fact. Especially if it's prioritized. I could understand if I made my purchase upon release within a few days of that but it's nearly 6 months later. People here including myself would likely be a little more understanding by getting more info from you guys instead of continued promises without delivery. Maybe even a development roadmap with the understanding it's subject to change.  

Here is some history.

- January 23rd, 2018 - Netduma Iain (CTO): "NETGEAR have already agreed to include our VPN feature in future firmware. It is a prioritised (sic) feature as well so should be available in less than a month."

Over 4 months later and no VPN.

- February 12th, 2018 - Netduma Fraser: "Just a little update, we are currently developing the VPN feature for DumaOS on the XR500, it will be in the next firmware update (after the one that comes out soon)."

This was before update 2.2.1.10 come out in March. Next update...no VPN feature.

- February 21st, 2018 - Netduma Fraser: "our VPN solution will be included and the update will be out in March."

This has been promised to me here publicly and privately with direct emails from the CTO and support. I'm really disappointed that I was told over and over again that it was coming. I was urged not to return the router by the CTO of the company saying it was coming soon. Fool me once...

Thanks for the posting these. Much appreciated. Obviously I hope they add this soon since in my view it's been long enough of a wait for this since the router launched. In my case I have about 3 more weeks before returning my router if this feature isn't added. 

• Administrators

Hi all - this feature has been prioritized. I can't give a precise ETA (as you can see from previous posts we have not got these correct), but I can say development is virtually done now so it's over to testing etc. This shouldn't take too long.

"This shouldn't take too long."....
Well, comming from the Netduma Staff it does not mean too much. Your rep on keeping promises has kind of been destroyed!
But, as questvr3 mention, it really would add some understanding if you gave away some more info on what you are doing and what problems you have atm.
I dont know of other people but I think we feel the same.
I bought a $300 router because of specific features that was advertised and promised, even assured byt Netgear sales before purchase, that just is'nt there!
Six months up the road I really feel a bit ignored...

• Administrators

"This shouldn't take too long."....

Well, comming from the Netduma Staff it does not mean too much. Your rep on keeping promises has kind of been destroyed!

But, as questvr3 mention, it really would add some understanding if you gave away some more info on what you are doing and what problems you have atm.

I dont know of other people but I think we feel the same.

I bought a $300 router because of specific features that was advertised and promised, even assured byt Netgear sales before purchase, that just is'nt there!

Six months up the road I really feel a bit ignored...

At the moment its in the Netduma testing stage of test, fix bugs, test etc. I think Netgear want to test it more thoroughly as its a completely new feature, so that will delay the rollout. VPN Client was advertised and is present on the router. We won't be giving deadlines on new features as working with two teams it is hard to predict them.

At the moment its in the Netduma testing stage of test, fix bugs, test etc. I think Netgear want to test it more thoroughly as its a completely new feature, so that will delay the rollout. VPN Client was advertised and is present on the router. We won't be giving deadlines on new features as working with two teams it is hard to predict them.

Fraser is this the one click vpn being tested or something else?

• Administrators

Fraser is this the one click vpn being tested or something else?

Yeah VPN Hybrid solution. Applying to individual devices/services/ports. Putting services on a device exclusively through the VPN or excluding certain services from going through the VPN. E.g. Gaming PC, gaming traffic not through VPN but everything else through it and vice versa etc.

Yeah VPN Hybrid solution. Applying to individual devices/services/ports. Putting services on a device exclusively through the VPN or excluding certain services from going through the VPN. E.g. Gaming PC, gaming traffic not through VPN but everything else through it and vice versa etc.

cool thanks