Yes XR500 in the Middle East,need help Please!

So last year I was on the netduma forums asking about the R1 router and how it will help me play Call of Duty in the middle east, I got good responses from Frazer and that reeled me in,just when I was about to put the penny down, the XR500 dropped and I got that one instead, so here I am with the XR500 in the middle east and I need help to get the best experience in online gaming.

I'm in Oman and noticed that The Emiratees are my best hosts to the servers but Saudis keep pulling the host off us and the ping shoots up from 30ms to a whopping 150ms, making them have good hit detection and for the most part bragging rights when I know they aren't that good they just connection warriors,(hahahaha), so please help me get the best settings I could possibly have in the middle east to anyone in the region and with my buddies in the UK.

I have Anti-Bufferbloat set to 70/70,my geo-filter is set to the Call of Duty profile just under 6000 kilometers, I have traffic prioritization set to my xbox one X,QoS set with my console having the most bandwidth, I run a wired connection from my modem to the nighthawk,my connection is 100 Mbps Download and 30 Mbps Upload,my Dsl Reports are A well thats okay based on forum research,ive denied all saudi,egyptian,jordanian and iraqi hosts yet they still pull host from my hosts in the emirates who give me a damn good ping after a match or two,so Frazer and co, bless yall, I need help, they killed me 1 off my V2, them bassis,hahaha,i stream on twitch (www.twitchtv/xxxdrakohxxx) to view my connection live...so look forward to all the constructive responses, any ignorant comments about the region will be reported to admin, Thanks in Advance.

if you are referring to WWII, it is notoriously bad for those with a good ping.

try using my settings but change your Geo Location to suit your needs 

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24364-in-game-lag-compensation-fix-for-cod-wwii-pc-gamers/

basically , you want your ping to be between 30-40 when connecting to server or peer.... 

also, read the last post as well, might be worth a try... http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24364-in-game-lag-compensation-fix-for-cod-wwii-pc-gamers/?p=179959

I'm new to using the netduma/DumaOS software.... so your saying, I should change my geo-location, wouldn't I have more issues since it's not in my current location..? @xlr8r or @Netduma Frazer please clarify for me, please guys..?

yes move your geo location to outside your area. ideally you want servers with a ping of around 30 -40ms.

This is because WWII game is badly designed. If you have a superfast ping rate, the game will handicap you because of it.

for best hitrate, adjust your Geo outside your normal home location .... 

note, this is only for WWII and your Geo should be readjusted to your locale, for other games!

my settings work fine for me on Pc with WWII. I cant guarantee the same will work on a console as i imagine they use different servers ....

I'll give it a shot and use the same geolocation you used and see if it works, I honestly didn't know I could do that, thanks bro, ill update you on my progress with some pics later, have a good one.

• Administrators

Hey Drakoh, it sounds like you've got QoS set up optimally so as xlr mentioned moving your home location is the best move here as it will allow you to 'shop' around for the best servers. It may take a bit of trial in error as depending on where the servers are located your ping might not be as low as you want to get it. 

Thanks for responding to my request Frazer,i got my QoS locked down,hahaha! , but yeah server shopping is new to me,ill trial and error then provide feedback as ,i make progress,so that if anybody else from the region has the same issues,yall can use my post as a reference indicator,...cheers bruv,have a good one.

by moving your Geo location around, i didnt mean move it to the UK or Europe.... i meant move it around your own home location until you are getting pings of 30-40ms from servers.

Moving your Geo from the Middle East to Europe may yield very poor ping rates.....

Thanks for responding to my request Frazer,i got my QoS locked down,hahaha! , but yeah server shopping is new to me,ill trial and error then provide feedback as ,i make progress,so that if anybody else from the region has the same issues,yall can use my post as a reference indicator,...cheers bruv,have a good one.

Once you move your geofilter location make sure you fully shutdown and reboot your console before searching for a game. Also, it can take some time to find a game in a different location so be patient.

I'm back with some feedback guys...

Test 1: Moved Geo-location in the region (middle east/western asia) 

My home base is Oman, my radius was set to 700km in Oman, the average ping to the best host was 24ms. ( 3 Bars in-game but felt very inconsistent, random skipping all over with occasionally good hit detection, waited 30 minutes to play 1 match)

Extended Radius to 1500 and changed home base to Saudi, the average ping to the best host was 110ms.( 2 Bars in-game and matches were unplayable, frame drops, poor hit detection)

Test 2: The Hope Test: Moved Geo-location to the UK

Home base set in England, my radius was set back to 700km, the average ping to the best host was 150ms.(2 Bars in-game, couldn't find solo matches to play however when I joined my buddies game invites my connection was better than the Saudi Radius Test, no frame drops, hit detection was good)

Test 3: The "Taking a Chance" Test : Moved Geo-location to France

French Home Base,my radius was set to 1000km,the average ping to the best host was 130ms.( 2 Bars in-game, couldn't find solo matches at all, which led me to believe that if I had a french buddy my connection to him would be the same as or better than my UK counterparts)

Conclusion:

The Netgear Nighthawk XR500 has really improved my connection beyond a shadow of a doubt, maybe I would need a VPN to be able to find a match in the locations that i set that were not my home base,maybe...? however the testing will not end there, as I did find some hosts that made me beast out with 40 plus kills,hahaha,bless them bassis!

Thank you all for all your help regarding my regional request,i apologize for not adding any pictures,upload issues,.....have a good one to you all.

I'm back with some feedback guys...

Test 1: Moved Geo-location in the region (middle east/western asia) 

My home base is Oman, my radius was set to 700km in Oman, the average ping to the best host was 24ms. ( 3 Bars in-game but felt very inconsistent, random skipping all over with occasionally good hit detection, waited 30 minutes to play 1 match)

Extended Radius to 1500 and changed home base to Saudi, the average ping to the best host was 110ms.( 2 Bars in-game and matches were unplayable, frame drops, poor hit detection)

Test 2: The Hope Test: Moved Geo-location to the UK

Home base set in England, my radius was set back to 700km, the average ping to the best host was 150ms.(2 Bars in-game, couldn't find solo matches to play however when I joined my buddies game invites my connection was better than the Saudi Radius Test, no frame drops, hit detection was good)

Test 3: The "Taking a Chance" Test : Moved Geo-location to France

French Home Base,my radius was set to 1000km,the average ping to the best host was 130ms.( 2 Bars in-game, couldn't find solo matches at all, which led me to believe that if I had a french buddy my connection to him would be the same as or better than my UK counterparts)

Conclusion:

The Netgear Nighthawk XR500 has really improved my connection beyond a shadow of a doubt, maybe I would need a VPN to be able to find a match in the locations that i set that were not my home base,maybe...? however the testing will not end there, as I did find some hosts that made me beast out with 40 plus kills,hahaha,bless them bassis!

Thank you all for all your help regarding my regional request,i apologize for not adding any pictures,upload issues,.....have a good one to you all.

That’s the beauty of Netduma, it gives you the ability to experiment and find the servers that play best for you.

i played around with my client VPN IPVANISH (on the pc) last night and had some interesting results....

VPN worked best on UDP port 443 !!

I live in Northern Ireland (UK). I set my VPN to connect to Germany (Frankfurt) (also France)  and my XR500 Geo radius to circle only the UK, and had some really good games.

will experiment with this further over the next few nights.....

Sooner we get "ping assist" the better !!

@xlr8r I messed around back in the day with my ISP modems settings so it was easy enough for me to setup the XR500 in the DMZ of my modem and my Xbox One X in the XR500 DMZ so i always get an Open Nat...i never used uPnP or Port Forwarding as i always had an Open Nat but now im looking for an affordable VPN service to work hand in hand with my tests that i did earlier...would port forwarding be required or am i good to go..?

• Administrators

Hey Drakoh, did you follow pollutionblues advice for your tests?:

Once you move your geofilter location make sure you fully shutdown and reboot your console before searching for a game. Also, it can take some time to find a game in a different location so be patient.

If so you should definitely have been able to get some solo games.

by putting your XR500 in your modem's DMZ you are leaving yourself open to attack. Unless you have some firewall protection in your modem ?

....least that's what i think your saying you have setup...?

Your best just letting your modem be just that, a modem. And let the XR500 do everything else....

i used port triggering only to guarantee an open Nat (not to be confused with port forwarding)

triggering only opens the specified ports as and when needed.

as per --- http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24364-in-game-lag-compensation-fix-for-cod-wwii-pc-gamers/

by putting your XR500 in your modem's DMZ you are leaving yourself open to attack. Unless you have some firewall protection in your modem ?

....least that's what i think your saying you have setup...?

Your best just letting your modem be just that, a modem. And let the XR500 do everything else....

i used port triggering only to guarantee an open Nat (not to be confused with port forwarding)

triggering only opens the specified ports as and when needed.

as per --- http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24364-in-game-lag-compensation-fix-for-cod-wwii-pc-gamers/

@Netduma Fraser Honestly... i didnt reboot my Xbox or completely shut it down but managed to join a few solo matches where my team were literally getting destroyed then had to wait a few minutes in between,but i will definitely reboot/shutdown my xbox before changing my home location in future tests,i saw the VPN thread and man,it just gets better and better,i hope Netgear doesnt spaz yalls rep though.peace brother.

@xlr8r Ive been using my Xbox One  in  the DMZ like that for 3 years straight with my ISP and now the Xbox One X,the countries strict on blocking certain traffic and has the Managed Router Service Extension with a fully fledged firewall intergrated into our modems and also the Unified Threat Management (UTM) to automatically update its catalogue of known cyber threats.

• Administrators

@Netduma Fraser Honestly... i didnt reboot my Xbox or completely shut it down but managed to join a few solo matches where my team were literally getting destroyed then had to wait a few minutes in between,but i will definitely reboot/shutdown my xbox before changing my home location in future tests,i saw the VPN thread and man,it just gets better and better,i hope Netgear doesnt spaz yalls rep though.peace brother.

Okay do let me know how you get on. Change your location then do the shutdown.

@xlr8r Ive been using my Xbox One  in  the DMZ like that for 3 years straight with my ISP and now the Xbox One X,the countries strict on blocking certain traffic and has the Managed Router Service Extension with a fully fledged firewall intergrated into our modems and also the Unified Threat Management (UTM) to automatically update its catalogue of known cyber threats.

...sorry, i must have misinterpreted your statement incorrectly when you said, .... "it was easy enough for me to setup the XR500 in the DMZ of my modem"

• 3 weeks later...

Its been awhile since I've posted on here, been doing some crazy hours at work, just want to say thank you to all who assisted me with the XR500 in the middle east, I really appreciate it, my connections are waaaay better than before and hey @fraser who would of thought India would have a server if it wasn't for your guidance, i would be lost with my new gear....yall have a good one,take it easy Fam