Firewall?

ViciousSavag3

I guess it's possible having a second firewall would prevent the optimal flow of traffic from modem to router to game. I'd always recommend disabling "router-y" functions on any router or modem/router combo behind the R1.

what exactly u mean by ''Router y'' thats not the R1 your talkin about right is the Modem from my ISP that i would disable?

and also what u mean by "HAVING A SECOND FIREWALL?" how would i do that in the configurations settings of my ISP Modem/Router?

Yes, he means disable firewall on your isp router. When he mentioned the 2nd firewall he was referring to another router that you may have on your network chain connected to the R1 that is not an isp router. Some users (me included) have a 2nd router connected to the R1 in AP mode to handle all the wifi devices as to take advantage of the %ghz wifi that the R1 does not have!

• Administrators

what exactly u mean by ''Router y'' thats not the R1 your talkin about right is the Modem from my ISP that i would disable?

and also what u mean by "HAVING A SECOND FIREWALL?" how would i do that in the configurations settings of my ISP Modem/Router?

That's right. If every device in your home is connected into your R1, then you can set your ISP's modem/router into modem mode and let the R1 to the firewall, NAT etc.

By second firewall, he means the two firewalls (1 from the R1 + 1 from your ISP modem/router).

Yeah some modems - usually those default freebies from the ISP - are modem/router combos. The cleanest setup would be modem or bridge mode on that to the R1, but sometimes that's not possible and you have to use DMZ to bypass the router functions.

The R1 has a firewall so you want to avoid using stuff like that on anything in front of the R1. You want the R1 alone to handle NAT, IPs and so on.

well in my Modem/router from my ISP which is Xfinity i could DMZ the R1 which (i am) Currently and i could also put the Modem on Bridge Mode which i dont really know what that does or if that would work better than DMZ mode or (BOTH) gotta be on together how would that work?

and so i just Disable the Firewall from Modem/Router from ISP? and let the R1 workout its thing or how do i setup the R1 after i do that?

well in my Modem/router from my ISP which is Xfinity i could DMZ the R1 which (i am) Currently and i could also put the Modem on Bridge Mode which i dont really know what that does or if that would work better than DMZ mode or (BOTH) gotta be on together how would that work?

and so i just Disable the Firewall from Modem/Router from ISP? and let the R1 workout its thing or how do i setup the R1 after i do that?

Bridge mode is better. DMZ is basically just a kind of alternative if you can't use bridge mode. Bridge mode makes your two in one modem/router act purely as a modem so everything goes straight through to the R1 with no fuss and no interruption. WiFi, IP allocation, NAT etc is all handled by the R1 then.

My friend is on Xfinity Blast and when I recommended using bridge mode he said it got rid of a ton of issues.

Once you put it in bridge mode, everything unnecessary will be disabled. Then just use UPnP on the R1 and connect all of your devices to the R1 to make full use of congestion control.

ok so should i disable the DMZ to put it on Bridge mode?

and if i do put it on bridge mode would it still give me internet access?

Yeah no need for DMZ in that case. Actually you might not even be able to access those kinds of settings in bridge mode anyway.

Bridge mode still gives you Internet access; you just can't connect wirelessly anymore. As long as the R1 is plugged into it and you're connected to the R1 you're good to go.

sounds good... but i would still have to adjust the bandwith on Congestion control right and all that basic stuff to punch in there with geo filter and all?

Yeah of course. Putting the modem in bridge mode just makes your setup "cleaner" so to speak. Then you tweak your R1 settings to your liking to fine tune it for gaming.

ok so another thing is that im suppose to have a 1gig speed but for some reason idk if its my laptop thats not compatible with the 1 gig speed thats telling me i only get 95 Down and 42 up? and on the ps4 it tells me i get like 250 sometimes 350 down and 35 up so i reallly dont know what to put on the congestion control for the R1?

if i have it on Bridge mode whats speeds should i put there? and would congestion control even work when its put on SUPER TURBO mode? like if i put it on 70/70% would that be any helpful for super turbo? or it wouldnt matter

so i had a technician from xfinity come in to check my actual speeds that im suppose to be getting and the R1 gave him like 480 down and 45 up... but my laptop tells me otherwise which is the 95 down and 42 up? so thats the part idk what to put on congestion control for Bandwith? any ideas please a bit CONFUSED on this part dont know exactly what speeds to put there?

would it be better to enable Super Turbo mode only when Downloading map packs and such and Disable it before gaming in order to enable Congestion Control?

ok so another thing is that im suppose to have a 1gig speed but for some reason idk if its my laptop thats not compatible with the 1 gig speed thats telling me i only get 95 Down and 42 up? and on the ps4 it tells me i get like 250 sometimes 350 down and 35 up so i reallly dont know what to put on the congestion control for the R1?

if i have it on Bridge mode whats speeds should i put there? and would congestion control even work when its put on SUPER TURBO mode? like if i put it on 70/70% would that be any helpful for super turbo? or it wouldnt matter

so i had a technician from xfinity come in to check my actual speeds that im suppose to be getting and the R1 gave him like 480 down and 45 up... but my laptop tells me otherwise which is the 95 down and 42 up? so thats the part idk what to put on congestion control for Bandwith? any ideas please a bit CONFUSED on this part dont know exactly what speeds to put there?

would it be better to enable Super Turbo mode only when Downloading map packs and such and Disable it before gaming in order to enable Congestion Control?

I'm not sure what to put in set bandwidth as I don't know what the max throughput of the R1 is. But your idea sounds solid - put your correct speeds in there, use super turbo when you need as much of it as possible, then disable it and use your sliders for gaming when you're done.

well sounds good enough for me then if u also believe is a good idea?...... But what speeds exactly tho coming from the ps4 or the Laptop which is BIG DIFFRENCE when i enable/disable Super Turbo on ps4 mostly tho.. when its enabled it gives me up to whatever i wanna put on R1. and on Laptop gives me same SPEED EITHER WAY so what would be the Real Speeds if u must say?

it would NOT AFFECT it if i leave the Speeds on 480 Down and 45 up and Disable Super Turbo?

well sounds good enough for me then if u also believe is a good idea?...... But what speeds exactly tho coming from the ps4 or the Laptop which is BIG DIFFRENCE when i enable/disable Super Turbo on ps4 mostly tho.. when its enabled it gives me up to whatever i wanna put on R1. and on Laptop gives me same SPEED EITHER WAY so what would be the Real Speeds if u must say?

it would NOT AFFECT it if i leave the Speeds on 480 Down and 45 up and Disable Super Turbo?

Tbh I don't know bro because I'm on 55/10. Never been able to use turbo or super turbo so I don't know how they interact with your real speeds. I'm sure someone on 100Mb+ can advise.

• Administrators

Super Turbo is needed for very high bandwidth connections if you want to get your full speeds. However it disables Congestion Control, so it's up to you which approach you prefer.

If you disable super turbo at those speeds (but keep turbo enabled), you will find your bandwidth maxes out at a lower number. But obviously you have the advantage of all the congestion control features.