Speeds just dropped drastically

Ive been using the Duma for a while and about 2 days ago my max speeds suddenly dropped to about half of what they normally are.  I have a 120 up/down connection and at 100 % congestion control i would get 120 using reactive, as that seemed to work much better at controlling bufferbloat with DSL reports.  Now at 100% with share excess checked and nothing else pulling bandwidth, my max speeds are roughly 70 down and 60 up and the bufferbloat is an A at best.  I could consistently get A+ even near 100% CC settings prior to this issue.

My bandwidth is set properly at 120 and 120 on the Duma and i have turbo mode checked.  All other settings are unchanged and I have not added any new devices to the network or anything.

I connected my laptop directly to my ATT router combo and get 125 up and down which are the correct speeds. so it is not my ISP.

My current setup, and the one that had been working fine is ATT combo router--->Netduma--->have a Nighthawk plugged in to Duma for better wireless.  Have a PS4 pro, laptop, Nighthawk, and security system plugged in to the DUMA.

Ive tried resetting all devices, including a factory reset on the Duma, with no luck.  I would say the Duma is probably 4 years old at this point, but doesnt seem like an equipment failure.  Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Edit - I am on the latest firmware 1.03.6g

• Netduma Staff

Ive been using the Duma for a while and about 2 days ago my max speeds suddenly dropped to about half of what they normally are.  I have a 120 up/down connection and at 100 % congestion control i would get 120 using reactive, as that seemed to work much better at controlling bufferbloat with DSL reports.  Now at 100% with share excess checked and nothing else pulling bandwidth, my max speeds are roughly 70 down and 60 up and the bufferbloat is an A at best.  I could consistently get A+ even near 100% CC settings prior to this issue.

My bandwidth is set properly at 120 and 120 on the Duma and i have turbo mode checked.  All other settings are unchanged and I have not added any new devices to the network or anything.

I connected my laptop directly to my ATT router combo and get 125 up and down which are the correct speeds. so it is not my ISP.

My current setup, and the one that had been working fine is ATT combo router--->Netduma--->have a Nighthawk plugged in to Duma for better wireless.  Have a PS4 pro, laptop, Nighthawk, and security system plugged in to the DUMA.

Ive tried resetting all devices, including a factory reset on the Duma, with no luck.  I would say the Duma is probably 4 years old at this point, but doesnt seem like an equipment failure.  Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Edit - I am on the latest firmware 1.03.6g

Hi, welcome to the forum! First off, please ensure you're conducting your speed test correctly - speed drops like this can often turn out to be issues with how the test was carried out. Ensure you're on a wired PC or laptop using a trusted site like Speedtest.net (using the same exact setup you used to test your ATT router combo speeds)

Then ensure you have these settings enabled:

- Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.

Please let me know if this helps :)

Hi, welcome to the forum! First off, please ensure you're conducting your speed test correctly - speed drops like this can often turn out to be issues with how the test was carried out. Ensure you're on a wired PC or laptop using a trusted site like Speedtest.net (using the same exact setup you used to test your ATT router combo speeds)

Then ensure you have these settings enabled:

- Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.

Please let me know if this helps :)

Everything is back to normal after setting it up as you suggested.  Thank you.

My only other issue is that i seem to get added latency when using the Duma.  For example, when i run the speed test straight from my ISP router, it is about 4-6 ms ping, whereas when i use the Duma i cant get any lower than about 25ms.  Is that fixable?

Other than that no issues so help has been greatly appreciated sir!!!

• Netduma Staff

Everything is back to normal after setting it up as you suggested.  Thank you.

My only other issue is that i seem to get added latency when using the Duma.  For example, when i run the speed test straight from my ISP router, it is about 4-6 ms ping, whereas when i use the Duma i cant get any lower than about 25ms.  Is that fixable?

Other than that no issues so help has been greatly appreciated sir!!!

I'm glad your speeds are back up, great to hear!

It's quite unlikely that the Netduma is adding 19ms ping to your connection, so let's get to the bottom of it by running a more in-depth test. I'd recommend running a PingPlotter test (PingPlotter is free software) on your Modem using a wired PC. Then, conduct the same test under the same conditions using the Netduma R1. If you post those test results here we'll take a look and advise you further :D thanks!

I'm glad your speeds are back up, great to hear!

It's quite unlikely that the Netduma is adding 19ms ping to your connection, so let's get to the bottom of it by running a more in-depth test. I'd recommend running a PingPlotter test (PingPlotter is free software) on your Modem using a wired PC. Then, conduct the same test under the same conditions using the Netduma R1. If you post those test results here we'll take a look and advise you further :D thanks!

How do i post a screenshot?

• Netduma Staff

How do i post a screenshot?

I'd recommend just uploading your screenshot to an image sharing site like Imgur. You'll then get a link and you can just copy the link here.

Either that or you could get Gyazo. Using that you can take the screenshot and have a link of it in a few seconds :D

I'd recommend just uploading your screenshot to an image sharing site like Imgur. You'll then get a link and you can just copy the link here.

Either that or you could get Gyazo. Using that you can take the screenshot and have a link of it in a few seconds :D

https://i.imgur.com/FXCpshD.jpg- ISP only

https://i.imgur.com/JYMI3uk.jpg- with DUMA