Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

QOS Active and Lag is terrible

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,155 posts
  • Local time: 04:11 PM

Thanks xlr8r for your help and research much appreciated. 

My connection is finally starting to improve after degrading weeks on end. in regarding to cloning my Sky modem MAC address when I go into the Sky modem settings there are three Mac addresses to pick from there is one called broadband ports Mac address and there is also Lan port Mac address or do I literally get the Mac address off the bottom of the modem? 

Any ideas advice would be great. Thanks 

Whats the purpose of using the Mac now if your connection is improving? I would leave it as is now

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

rousey

rousey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I was only asking as in the previous posts you said to clone and I didn't get round to doing it. My down/up speeds are improving my ping is not 

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,155 posts

Ahh I see, I would give it a few more days to see if it stabilises as your speed is starting to

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

xlr8r

xlr8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

@xlr8r      why on god's earth would you or anyone else want to game over a vpn? It is worse than gaming over wifi, it is one of the most stupidest things to do for gaming.  I am not saying you are stupid, but the act of gaming over vpn is a stupid thing to do!

i posted my findings that worked for me, and Im on here to try and help others, NOT criticize their efforts for finding solutions !

Given that you see my results/efforts/solutions as, "stupid", i will refrain from posting any further results in future.... and merely observe this forum from the sidelines....

wwii.jpg

Rockets all gone... Mnnnn...Your fooling no-one Kim !!!

Fathomless

Fathomless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM

It is difficult task to manipulate latencies, any ideas are welcome. Frequently one idea can start another, and simple solutions could be found.

So do not stop :)

I observed one thing yesterday... maybe it will help you for the latency hunt. 

Yesterday I had effective speed of 180down and 6up. My wife started upload by pushing 1.6GB file, so up link was saturated for a while.

While it was saturated I decided to play COD, my upload anti-buffer-bloat setting were 96% of 6mps. So while playing for 30 min WWII, I call paratroopers 4 times, 2 times in one game.

So you can, see if saturation of the link one direction or another impacting your performance, positive or negative.

Today my speed is 965Mps down and 42Mps up, will compare results with yesterdays gameplay later today; xbox consumes less then 1Mps up/down in my case.

I noticed that dsreports are not indicative of XBOX game play, when I reduced throughput to 1.8mbs down and 0.1mps up my ds report buffer-bloat was at C, but in game play KD was 2+, anything above 2 is ok for me :)

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNear Manchester

i posted my findings that worked for me, and Im on here to try and help others, NOT criticize their efforts for finding solutions !

Given that you see my results/efforts/solutions as, "stupid", i will refrain from posting any further results in future.... and merely observe this forum from the sidelines....

Excuse me, I did not in any way say your solutions/efforts or results were stupid. I was stating that gaming over wifi is a stupid thing to do (unless there really is no viable alternative) as it is THE worse thing to do in online gaming. That is a fact!!!!!! 

If I offended you that was not my intent....Jeeez!

Posted Image Posted Image

Zennon

Zennon

• Administrators
  • 6,923 posts
  • LocationUK

I have tested the higher ping theory just the other day on WW11 after reading this thread using third party tools and PC connection sharing to my Xbox so the higher ping settings transferred to its connection.

Increasing ping puts you in higher ping lobbies, it pulls people in from further afield so to keep the pings around the same time for all players.

If you manipulate your ping really high so I made it over 100ms everyone was 1 and two barring.

If you change your ping mid match it has no advantage.

I am impressed with the system they use, it is lobby searching by ping after all and puts my mind at rest about people trying to cheat the system :)

ChriscomIT

ChriscomIT

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 PM
  • LocationGermany

@xlr8r      why on god's earth would you or anyone else want to game over a vpn? It is worse than gaming over wifi, it is one of the most stupidest things to do for gaming.  I am not saying you are stupid, but the act of gaming over vpn is a stupid thing to do!

Why is it a feature then at least on the R1 to battle DDOS attacks?? IMHO if you have a good line and a high-quality VPN provider there is not a real difference for the average gamer/user besides the positive effect that you are save from DDOS attacks (which is a serious thing nowadays sadly) with the most game engines. Not a question about the wifi thing. There are good solutions out for wifi but surely they never will have the same quality of packet/data flow as an ethernet adapter.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,658 posts

Why is it a feature then at least on the R1 to battle DDOS attacks?? IMHO if you have a good line and a high-quality VPN provider there is not a real difference for the average gamer/user besides the positive effect that you are save from DDOS attacks with the most game engines. Not a question about the wifi thing. There are good solutions out for wifi but surely they never will have the same quality of packet/data flow as an ethernet adapter.

DDOS attack prevention is on a lot of routers these days, I have 3 with that feature.It is easier to gain a players ip address over pc gaming than through console. Gaming over a vpn on a pc I have never done, but on a console I feel it creates more problems than it solves. Gaming packets on consoles are encrypted as default so adding a vpn to the mix adds more encryption and extra routing as that is what a vpn does. You will never beat the guy that lives 50 miles or less from a server. I have tried gaming over vpn on a console and it really does make things worse and I have a top rated vpn, none of that hidemyass crap!

ChriscomIT

ChriscomIT

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 PM
  • LocationGermany

Ok, I just have results from PC side. I see the standpoint for consoles and I totally agree. And yes most routers have a basic DDOS prevention implemented in the firewall but most of them are really weak IMO and if you're not an advantage user it's very tricky to harden them right for all kinds of DDOS attacks. Therefore I see the usage of a VPN as a quick and smooth variant for the basic user to conquer DDOS attacks if someone is gaming on PC and indeed have a good VPN provider/stable line. I personally prefer to play without VPN too but I as well experienced situations of DDOS attacks in CS: GO league matches and Overwatch. Ye no question that hidemyass is the last crap ;-).

Fathomless

Fathomless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I think ping and ping with payload, might be different. When upload is saturated, ping still is good, and I select state of WA and CA as an area to play; ping constantly 9-12ms, but somehow I had better response with saturation of upload, maybe coincidence.

yesterday I played with 1gbps/40mps I was straggling would barely get 1.6K/D one match was negative, forget about paratroopers :), maybe there were better players yesterday. Will do more experiments for directional saturation.

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,658 posts

gaming only uses a max of 3mbps (including chat) and about 1mbps without. Ping, distance from game server, line quality, your isp infrastructure at peak times and gaming over a monitor and a really good surround sound headset are the main ingrediants on wether gaming is a good or bad experience. 

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 3,061 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

gaming only uses a max of 3mbps (including chat) and about 1mbps without.

According to my Xbox it's not even that much. Usually seem to be using less that 0.5 with chat.

I wouldn't fancy download a 60gb game on that kind of connection though.

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

Fathomless

Fathomless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

in one of the tests I was playing with 0.1mps upload and 0.3mps down, that is including chat, if I need to download game just adjust the bandwidth and 1Gbps is there.

I think the idea with VPN almost translates to idea of directional saturation(kind of lag switch?).

if you send me 10 TCP packets with bullets, but TCP conformation would come only for 2 - how game experience would look like compare to I send you 3 bullets and tcp conformation comes from 3 what a difference in game play? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users