Broadband Contract coming to an end... Which ISP?

Stealth_01

Hi all,

So as you can probably tell by the title, my current broadband provider (IDNET Gaming) is coming to a long awaited end.

Just need some advice on what to go to next really, so far ive had BT and TalkTalk previously, and out the three, I must say i've probably had the best experince gaming with BT funnily enough.

I have been contemplating sky, just to see how it is, as ive heard alot of good things about them online. My only issue with sky, which is also probably the deal breaker, is the fact that they dont let you use your own modem router combination for some odd reason.

Does anyone have any idea if they are still implementing that rule??? or is there a way to bypass this??

Currently im using a HG612 with the XR500 and it seems to work well for my line.  

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

it is still the case regarding sky but if you can get hold of your sky login details then you can use your own equipment (i think you use wireshark).

I have used BT and am now with talktalk and have also used IDNET gaming package and I find talktalk to be the most reliable, cheapest and lowest ping.

it is still the case regarding sky but if you can get hold of your sky login details then you can use your own equipment (i think you use wireshark).

I have used BT and am now with talktalk and have also used IDNET gaming package and I find talktalk to be the most reliable, cheapest and lowest ping.

Well thats a first, im surprised to hear you got such good results with talktalk!! Your case seems to be one of the exceptions I suppose. Ive heard alot of people slagging them off with regards to customer service and latency issues.

TBH im more leaning towards BT as they have g.fast currently planned for my area, as soon as it goes live I can just switch over, rather than having to wait till my contract ends with another company and then jump ship. Especially now that all contracts seem to have an 18 month period.

Just out of curiosity how was your experience with IDNet??

Regards,

What was your problem with IDNET gaming guys? I know they are a bit pricey but I got double the upload I was getting with BT when I switched to them and my connection has been far more stable and I've found their support excellent. I am only on ADSL (16 down/0.8 up) at the minute I will hopefully be getting FTTC in the coming months so wondering if its worth sticking with IDNET once I get FTTC?

Cheers,

blues

I find talktalk to be the most reliable, cheapest and lowest ping.

Well thats a first, im surprised to hear you got such good results with talktalk!! Your case seems to be one of the exceptions I suppose. Ive heard alot of people slagging them off with regards to customer service and latency issues.

I use TalkTalk to, the hub they provide is shite (but aren't they all) but once I put a standalone modem in it was the dog's danglers.

Not the BigDog's danglers though, just to clarify before rumours start  :P

Don't expect much from their phone support though, they don't speak 'technical'. Actually, they don't even speak English.

TBH im more leaning towards BT as they have g.fast currently planned for my area, as soon as it goes live I can just switch over, rather than having to wait till my contract ends with another company and then jump ship. Especially now that all contracts seem to have an 18 month period.

Just out of curiosity how was your experience with IDNet??

Regards,

I found IDNET to be totally reliable and had no issues with them at all and their support is UK based. I left because I was paying around 54.00 for the sameservice I could get from talktalk for 31.50. I have never used talktalk's tech support as I am fully aware that I will be speaking to someone in bangladesh. Zennon uses talktalk too and he has nothing but good things to say about them the same as I do!

What was your problem with IDNET gaming guys? I know they are a bit pricey but I got double the upload I was getting with BT when I switched to them and my connection has been far more stable and I've found their support excellent. I am only on ADSL (16 down/0.8 up) at the minute I will hopefully be getting FTTC in the coming months so wondering if its worth sticking with IDNET once I get FTTC?

Cheers,

blues

As B.D has mentioned there support is fantastic, but for me they were wayyyy tooo pricey. I couldnt justify paying through the nose when in comparison to other ISP's there was hardly any noticeable differance whilst I was gaming.

When I had BT previously the hit reg on bo3 was on point and on a more consistent basis. With IDNet it was either a hit or miss situation.

That just may be my experience tbh, others may have a totally differant opinion.

Dont forget not everyones connections are the same. If IDNet are currently working for you then stick with them.

As B.D has mentioned there support is fantastic, but for me they were wayyyy tooo pricey. I couldnt justify paying through the nose when in comparison to other ISP's there was hardly any noticeable differance whilst I was gaming.

When I had BT previously the hit reg on bo3 was on point and on a more consistent basis. With IDNet it was either a hit or miss situation.

That just may be my experience tbh, others may have a totally differant opinion.

Dont forget not everyones connections are the same. If IDNet are currently working for you then stick with them.

Cheers guys. I’ll be sticking with them while I’m still on ADSL. They now have 30 day contracts for FTTC so what I’ll do is see how FTTC goes with them for a month or 2 (and if it’s worth paying the extra money) then I can always migrate to another provider if need be.

Cheers guys. I’ll be sticking with them while I’m still on ADSL. They now have 30 day contracts for FTTC so what I’ll do is see how FTTC goes with them for a month or 2 (and if it’s worth paying the extra money) then I can always migrate to another provider if need be.

Looking at ping plotter plots they resell BT,the question is do you need to pay much more to talk to English support?

I was Vivaciti who resold TalkTalk tails on a monthly contract, I do not need support and if I did I would use their forum which has very knowledgeable OCE's so I jumped to what is now £27 a month telephone and 76/18

Using a HG612 1ms of jitter 24/7 tied with Netduma's congestion control stopping local jitter.

You do not need to pay through the nose for support if you have a clean network set up and if you have a line fault forums can get Open Reach out.

Hi all,

So as you can probably tell by the title, my current broadband provider (IDNET Gaming) is coming to a long awaited end.

Just need some advice on what to go to next really, so far ive had BT and TalkTalk previously, and out the three, I must say i've probably had the best experince gaming with BT funnily enough.

I have been contemplating sky, just to see how it is, as ive heard alot of good things about them online. My only issue with sky, which is also probably the deal breaker, is the fact that they dont let you use your own modem router combination for some odd reason.

Does anyone have any idea if they are still implementing that rule??? or is there a way to bypass this??

Currently im using a HG612 with the XR500 and it seems to work well for my line.  

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

I was with BT and found it to be reasonably reliable. Very stable most of the time, certainly more stable than Virgin who I am with now, but that was mainly down to cost as BT upped their price so I jumped ship!

Never tried Talk Talk, so can't really comment as to their reliability, but others seem satisfied with them.

(Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you have had TT what are the TV packages like)

I was with BT and found it to be reasonably reliable. Very stable most of the time, certainly more stable than Virgin who I am with now, but that was mainly down to cost as BT upped their price so I jumped ship!

Never tried Talk Talk, so can't really comment as to their reliability, but others seem satisfied with them.

(Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you have had TT what are the TV packages like)

Never bothered with TV packages in the streaming and downloading culture we are now apart of.

If you would have logged into your account when you got the payment rise notice or rang them you would have got money off with BT Macca.

When my contract is nearly up I get a rise notice email I then sign back up for less than I paid the contract before with TT.

Never bothered with TV packages in the streaming and downloading culture we are now apart of.

If you would have logged into your account when you got the payment rise notice or rang them you would have got money off with BT Macca.

When my contract is nearly up I get a rise notice email I then sign back up for less than I paid the contract before with TT.

I did, I must have caught them on a bad day as they wouldn't budge, hence my leaving. The Virgin is up in July so might get a new ISP then. It's my other half who watches the telly she likes the Universal channel for the American crime series SUV lol

if you have had TT what are the TV packages like?

I don't have the TalkTalk TV package either, I have Virgin Media for TV and TalkTalk for internet.