R1 DumaOS Briefly Delayed

Netduma Luke

wow...still no update. Soon we will get the “hardware is too outdated to support all of the new features”. So sad...

Yeah, love to see how a qca soc software for dual-core 1.7GHz runs on mipsbe archi. Would be a tremendous task to realize this. But they said they started developing DumaOS on R1 so maybe I am missing something here.

Maybe I just bought it at the absolute worst time, but I remember seeing advertisements for "constant firmware upgrades" and "we have released 17 up until now" and all that nonsense.  I bought my router about 1.5 to 2 years ago.  It came from netduma with 1.0.3.6g.  1.0.3.6h was "off limits" for whatever reason, same thing with i.  I finally said "what the heck" and put on 1.3.6j.  

I have had constant issues just trying to get the netduma to allow for full bandwidth downloads.  The gaming works great, but i can only ever achieve about 25% of my throughput.  This is due to my ISP using a product called SandVine which "shapes" certain types of traffic.  Basically, the netduma and my ISP are both competing to be the bottleneck.  I am a network engineer, and I get it.

My point is, there have been 0 updates other than EULA updates in the past 2 years.  I keep waiting for any update for this "always improving" and "continual upgrades" type of product.  The hardware is meh at best, and at this point -- I think I will be putting a WRT or CAKE image on it.  At least then, I can add LAN routes and VLan type settings; and even change the subnet mask (not everything needs a /24) -- you know the features I though they would be "continually adding and improving", or existent in a commercially available router.  (peplink is my preferred router vendor)  

https://netduma.com/features/always-improving/-- Except for the past two years, and most likely the next two years.  Too bad, it actually did help with some of my lag while gaming.

Promised 'brief weeks' delay resulting in actual months raises questions Netduma needs to address and at least not fool new potential customers, who will buy R1 hoping to get DumaOS on it. Netduma's Project Management team should absolutely have a development schedule for DumaOS for R1 and it's a shame they don't share it with us, their customers. 

Is the development of DumaOS completely cancelled for R1? If not, then give us the schedule.

Does partnership with Netgear block the deployment of DumaOS to R1? If so, find a way to evade it - give us an open beta, leak it to github, whatsoever.

Concerned that DumaOS will be pirated and ported to a regular 50US Mikrotik? You should have foreseen this and your customers should not pay your shot.

Promised 'brief weeks' delay resulting in actual months raises questions Netduma needs to address

And it's not like they're adding anything new, checking for bugs, stress testing or "building from the ground up" anymore. They admitted the OS is otherwise complete in the OP:

"Nothing more as we have everything else working"

10 weeks with no word after breaking the news it wouldn't be released a few HOURS before launch time, just to make it backward compatible... and they still haven't replied, never mind released it. Lol. Is it unreasonable to expect a little communication? I wonder if those who have access to the secret subforum here have even had any news and they're just supposed to stay quiet. Ah whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

problem they may run into is they can delay a release forever and not have to face a class action lawsuit. If they come out and just say its not coming then they potentially have a problem with consumers that purchased the r1 with the advertisement of duma os coming to r1...yikes

Just haven't seen much that needed moderating. And I've been enjoying the hot weather rather than sitting at the computer.

Hmm, you just ignore people, till they get angry and you ban them. That's the way to behave! Even Queen can learn from you!