Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Double Nat

nat type

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

sevenproxi3s

sevenproxi3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 AM

hey guy i have ahd my router for 1 year now , i have it hooked up to a comcast modem (newest cisco) and i have from the beginning had it setup on a DMZ with a static ip address and had no issues until a week ago and my xbox started telling me i have a double nat and i cant party chat . i have check all of my settings on my comcast router and also have done a factory reset on BOTH and started from scratch. i have even disable the ENTIRE firewall on my comcast router and when i hook up my xbox to my comcast router i get a open NAT , but as soon as i connect to my netduma its switchs to strict and double nat ???????   

lllRL

lllRL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Local time: 02:08 PM
  • LocationUK
I believe DMZ doesn't truly offer a full workaround. I've previously used an ISP default modem/router to R1 setup, and DMZ would not only refuse to clear the blue message box on the R1 device manager page, but the WAN IP would still be private and I'd still see two private hops at the top of any trace route. Despite the DMZ, two private IP hops indicates double NAT.

I've since started using a standalone modem, or a modem/router that can use bridge or modem mode (either works), and I haven't had problems since. There's only one private hop appearing on trace routes, and the R1 has a normal, ever changing public WAN IP address. I'd recommend trying that for yourself. Look up reputable modems at a decent price for your line type (ADSL, cable, VDSL, fibre to the home etc) and try that cleaner setup. I guarantee you'll no longer have double NAT issues :)

Is it safe to assume your Comcast modem is an all in one standard modem + router? I'd imagine so considering you mention a firewall. Yeah I had the same until I tried a TP Link router that could be placed into bridge mode so the R1 would be handling all of the "routery" stuff. Now I'm using a simple modem only and it works even better.

e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 AM
  • LocationUSA

http://badmodems.com...ic.php?f=6&t=21

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,533 posts

hey guy i have ahd my router for 1 year now , i have it hooked up to a comcast modem (newest cisco) and i have from the beginning had it setup on a DMZ with a static ip address and had no issues until a week ago and my xbox started telling me i have a double nat and i cant party chat . i have check all of my settings on my comcast router and also have done a factory reset on BOTH and started from scratch. i have even disable the ENTIRE firewall on my comcast router and when i hook up my xbox to my comcast router i get a open NAT , but as soon as i connect to my netduma its switchs to strict and double nat ???????   

The advice above is great - even if you get an open NAT wired directly to your modem but a closed NAT wired to the Netduma, it can still be the modem causing the issue. If you have UPnP enabled on the Netduma and Port Forwarding disabled (and you have tried manually port forwarding as an alternative) there's no reason why you should have a closed NAT unless your modem is to blame. Do you have multiple consoles displaying a closed NAT?

Technical support:

Fine tuning guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc.
FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.
Wiki - Main link to the Wiki, for everything else please search here or on the forum.
Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

sevenproxi3s

sevenproxi3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

@ netduma jack 

i have a PS4 connected to my netduma and it says : NAT type 2 which is good ... i also dont think my issue  is the comcast router ( yes its a modem + router ) bc i can connect straight to it and boom i have open nat ... i have COMPLETLY disabled the firewall on my comcast router which in the past has worked with zero problems but now just out of the blue i have a double nat issue .

sevenproxi3s

sevenproxi3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

just to add more information here , my comcast router supports IPV6 and it works when i connect straight to my comcast .... i have ALL ipv6 stuff checked and enable on the netduma but it will not issue a ipv6 address to my Xbox??/?? if this would work my problems would be sloved 

sevenproxi3s

sevenproxi3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

so basically what i can see on the IPV6 is that it just doesnt work on the netduma .... netduma guys really need to take this option off bc its just a lie .... if it actually worked the xbox would pull a ipv6 adress when it was enabled on the router .....

lllRL

lllRL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationUK

so basically what i can see on the IPV6 is that it just doesnt work on the netduma .... netduma guys really need to take this option off bc its just a lie .... if it actually worked the xbox would pull a ipv6 adress when it was enabled on the router .....

I'm getting an IPv6 through the R1 to my phone right now.

Can't say the same for my PS4 but that doesn't have full support for it yet. I can't comment on the Xbox One though as I don't have one.

Attached Files

e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

IPv6 works on the R1 if our ISP modem is a stand alone modem and your ISP services native IPv6 thru the modem. If your modem has a built in router, then it's possible IPv6 from the ISP may not get to the R1 router. DMZ should be used if modems have a built in router for the R1. DMZ helps in double NAT conditions. 

Stand alone modems are preferred when using the R1 or any gaming router.

http://badmodems.com...php?f=3&t=65000

lllRL

lllRL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationUK

IPv6 works on the R1 if our ISP modem is a stand alone modem and your ISP services native IPv6 thru the modem. If your modem has a built in router, then it's possible IPv6 from the ISP may not get to the R1 router. DMZ should be used if modems have a built in router for the R1. DMZ helps in double NAT conditions.

Stand alone modems are preferred when using the R1 or any gaming router.
http://badmodems.com...php?f=3&t=65000

Great guide Mr Beamer ;)

e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUSA

:D  Here to help. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nat type

0 user(s) are reading this topic