Further Interleaving Added To Line!

Hi. The Engineers came out on the 5th of April.  However there was no DLM reset as the fault was down as a line issue and not broadband.

After that I just decided I could live with the interleaving on. The modem (VMG 1312 B10A) has been on 24/7 with 1m rj11 as suggested since the 5th and this morning an extra layer of interleaving has been applied taking my ping to 28 now. 

When I tried ping plotter I wasnt getting much ping spikes and the pings were stable.

Any suggestions as to what to do? BT checked the line and couldnt fine any faults. Not prepared to stay on 16 ms of interleaving!

Thanks in advance

I would suggest swapping that modem for another such as the homehub that bt issue you with just to eliminate the zyxel modem you are using. interleaving will be lifted after 11 days of no faults or restarts by the user regarding their modem.

I've never had interleaving even with multiple modem reboots over a short period sometimes on BT. Maybe the modem doesn't work too well with it? I'm not really sure about the ins and outs of interleaving.

I've used the Smart Hub, TP Link W9970 and Openreach Huawei HG612 before. I'm currently using the HG612 and it's the most stable I've seen my line. Maybe pick one of those up cheap off eBay; I got an unlocked one for £20 but you don't need it unlocked, so you could find one for under a tenner. Or you may need the ECI B-Focus modem depending on your cabinet. If you don't already know which cabinet you're on, go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.phpand type in your landline number to find the exact cabinet number. Then go to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm and type that number in the Partial Telephone Number to Lookup box and hit the Lookup Number button. A box will come up with the start of your landline number, your town and county etc... click on the town name. On the next page that comes up scroll down to the yellow box just above the map and click All xxx Fibre Cabinets. Scroll all the way down until you find your cabinet number in the list, and then look right on the same row to find the cabinet make. It'll say either Huawei or ECI.

If it's Huawei try the Huawei HG612 Openreach modem. If it's ECI then try the ECI B-Focus Openreach modem. They're both the official modems that used to be supplied before modem/router Hubs started being dished out, so if you do want to try another modem you can't go wrong with one of those. That is, if the issue isn't resolved and you need something to try :)

I have been the victim of interleaving a few times. It has something to do with G.IMP enabled on your local exchange or not (mine does not). Zennon is the man for the answer but either my suggestion of the homehub (only if they issued it you and not go and buy 1 as they are crap) or better still use an openreach modem as suggested above which is what I use along with the XR500 and previously the R1.

I have been the victim of interleaving a few times. It has something to do with G.IMP enabled on your local exchange or not (mine does not). Zennon is the man for the answer but either my suggestion of the homehub (only if they issued it you and not go and buy 1 as they are crap) or better still use an openreach modem as suggested above which is what I use along with the XR500 and previously the R1.

That's an alternative to interleaving isn't it? How do I find out if it applies to me? There's no mention of it on the BT wholesale checker thing - it just shows expected VDSL and FTTP rates.

Maybe I've got G.INP on my line because I've been reckless with reboots/swapping cables and modems before and have never been on anything but fast path.

If the modem you are using does is not compatible with G.INP then it can create a greater depth of interleaving.

P1mptowt if you are on a Huawei cabinet you could go with the HG612 3B modem that supports G.INP when running the latest firmware.

If the modem you are using does is not compatible with G.INP then it can create a greater depth of interleaving.

P1mptowt if you are on a Huawei cabinet you could go with the HG612 3B modem that supports G.INP when running the latest firmware.

Hey Z, this is the one I bought last week. The title has G.INP in it but is this the latest firmware? And does G.INP actually have to be enabled on your line in order to take advantage of the compatibility on the modem? I don't really understand how it all works lol

Also wondering if it's pure coincidence that my base latency dropped to around 6.2ms after swapping my TP Link modem out for it.

post-9329-0-48469300-1523466888_thumb.png

post-9329-0-36991100-1523466893_thumb.png

Hey Z, this is the one I bought last week. The title has G.INP in it but is this the latest firmware? And does G.INP actually have to be enabled on your line in order to take advantage of the compatibility on the modem? I don't really understand how it all works lol

Also wondering if it's pure coincidence that my base latency dropped to around 6.2ms after swapping my TP Link modem out for it.

That is the latest firmware, you need a Huawei cabinet to take full advantage of G.INP and it sounds like you do.

A 0.8ms will not be from G.INP, it uses on the fly error correction instead of the always on approach of interleaving.

You can still have interleaving set even on a G.INP enabled line with a compatible modem/router if the DLM deems you to have enough errors.

That is the latest firmware, you need a Huawei cabinet to take full advantage of G.INP and it sounds like you do.

A 0.8ms will not be from G.INP, it uses on the fly error correction instead of the always on approach of interleaving.

You can still have interleaving set even on a G.INP enabled line with a compatible modem/router if the DLM deems you to have enough errors.

Yeah bud, all Huawei in my town

A look on the HG612 GUI showed a few errors of some type but none of any of the others. It's all foreign to me lol. I've never been interleaved anyway so can't complain if it's working ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

post-9329-0-06516700-1523470510_thumb.png

Actually I just did the Duma ping test and it's 7.6-8.0ms now. I rebooted the HG612 the other day after making sure all unnecessary settings (QoS, ATM, NAT etc) were disabled. Welp haha... not that it's much of a difference. Weird how it randomly changes (up or down) after rebooting though.

Also my R1 WAN IP doesn't change if I reboot it anymore. Strange as it's a public IP and without double NAT/a private WAN IP on the R1 it usually changes after a reboot.

Hi there. I just followed th advice from IIIRL and found out my Cab is ECI. Im very jealous of your 8ms ping. Mine is now 28 from 12ms  on the day of install (23rd March)

Like I say I even bought a new shorter lead for the modem like zennon says. My network is tidy, My modem has been on 24/7. So is it the general idea I may be suited to an ECI based modem?  If I can get a dlm reset and then lower my package to infinity one will that help to reduce errors?

That's an alternative to interleaving isn't it? How do I find out if it applies to me? There's no mention of it on the BT wholesale checker thing - it just shows expected VDSL and FTTP rates.

Maybe I've got G.INP on my line because I've been reckless with reboots/swapping cables and modems before and have never been on anything but fast path.

I was still on 'fast path' when my ping was 5 times higher than normal, had less than 50% speed I should've getting and ping spikes all over the shop ;)

I was still on 'fast path' when my ping was 5 times higher than normal, had less than 50% speed I should've getting and ping spikes all over the shop ;)

Oh that's right, I think you told me you never saw interleaving despite that sudden change. My memory ist kaput :D

I would suggest you got the eci openreach modem which are still readily available on ebay and some sellers on amazon too. I too am on eci. I have had all sorts of modems, draytek vigor 130 (excellent modem), both openreach models, a comtrend and a fritzbox.  The best performance was with the openreach followed by the draytek.

You could always install and run pingplotter and see if there are any issues with your line and it will show you in a graph what is happening in real time!

I would suggest you got the eci openreach modem which are still readily available on ebay and some sellers on amazon too. I too am on eci. I have had all sorts of modems, draytek vigor 130 (excellent modem), both openreach models, a comtrend and a fritzbox.  The best performance was with the openreach followed by the draytek.

You could always install and run pingplotter and see if there are any issues with your line and it will show you in a graph what is happening in real time!

Yes the ECI B-Focus Rev B1 other wise know as ECI B1.

The issues went away on their own. Even the crackling on the phone line went and hasn't come back since.

I already use a Draytek Vigor 130, have done for the last year.

I just read about someone having issues with the Zyxel VMG1312-B10D (A Zen freebie) as it caused interleaving, at least 8ms additional delay, lower max sync etc. As soon as he swapped to a Draytek Vigor 130 he was immediately back on Fast Path with the full sync lol

So maybe you're on an ECI cabinet and you've been using a Broadcom chipset all along, when you need the Lantiq chipset ;) yeah I'd say try out the ECI B-Focus modem by picking one up cheap off eBay. I just did the same with the HG612 and I'm very impressed, even though I was already using the right chipset before!

I just read about someone having issues with the Zyxel VMG1312-B10D (A Zen freebie) as it caused interleaving, at least 8ms additional delay, lower max sync etc. As soon as he swapped to a Draytek Vigor 130 he was immediately back on Fast Path with the full sync lol

So maybe you're on an ECI cabinet and you've been using a Broadcom chipset all along, when you need the Lantiq chipset ;) yeah I'd say try out the ECI B-Focus modem by picking one up cheap off eBay. I just did the same with the HG612 and I'm very impressed, even though I was already using the right chipset before!

IW working properly now!? :o :D

IW working properly now!? :o :D

Haha hellllll no! I was just referring to the further reduced latency and improved stability. The W9970 gave me a reduction in max latency spikes (which never actually appeared on PingPlotter or while pinging anything actually) on the thinkbroadband monitor compared to those on the Smart Hub, but with the HG612 they're totally absent unless I download/upload with 100% sliders.

Translating that to in game performance is, well... I'm still stumped. I've played on three servers this week - the UK (7ms), Spain (30ms) and New Jersey USA (73ms). On 7ms I get zero time to react, on 73ms I get far too much time to react but horrible hitmarker delays (still get those on 7ms for some reason - I've recorded delays up to 246ms in games this week) but on the Spanish server I get the best of both worlds.

Still waiting for someone to explain the logic behind that... the laws of physics are being bent I guess :P

Hey All.

Just a quick update regarding the interleaving on my line.  I had low interleaving on both the US and DS. 8ms delay for each.

I capped the speed on the modem to 30/10.   The DS interleaving was removed yesterday. This morning I woke up to find the US interleaving was also gone and I am now back on fast path. I have upped my speed cap to 50/10.   So far so good.

I highly recommend this method for anyone on interleaving having a hard time getting off it. All the time spent trying to talk to BT and it took me 3 days to resolve myself.

Thanks all for the advice!

That had nothing to do with you capping but everything to do with waiting, DLM takes it time to view the errors and then makes the adjustment back to fast path when it feels you have had low enough errors in a 9 day period.

Good to hear DLM has dropped you back to fast path :)

If you keep capping from the modem this may reboot the modem, this will be seen as an error if you do not wait over 20 minutes between boots.