Geofilter R-App not working

I recently factory reset my router.  I thought there was an issue with it but it turned out there was not.  However, the Geofilter R-App is now having issues.  I play COD WW2 on Xbox One, and on the area of the screen where it shows you what type of server you're connected to never loads.  I repeatedly get the message that "The operation is taking longer than expected.  Please briefly wait before using this R-App".

I have not yet tried any other games.  I have attempted rebooting both Xbox and router to no avail. I would include a screenshot but the uploader appears to not be working and I'm not sure how else I can upload one that is allowed.

• Administrators

No worries about the screenshot, here's what I suggest in order of what to try:

• Remove devices from the Devices Panel, then refresh the page and add them again
  • Clear the browsers cache and reload the Geo-Filter page
  • Turn off Auto Ping and ping the host manually
  • Flush cloud
  • Factory reset if all else doesn't work

No worries about the screenshot, here's what I suggest in order of what to try:

• Remove devices from the Devices Panel, then refresh the page and add them again
  • Clear the browsers cache and reload the Geo-Filter page
  • Turn off Auto Ping and ping the host manually
  • Flush cloud
  • Factory reset if all else doesn't work

None of those suggestions work.  In addition, when I attempt to flush the cloud or ping manually, I get the same error message.  I am unsure about factory resetting since I did that only 24 hours ago.

• Netduma Staff

None of those suggestions work.  In addition, when I attempt to flush the cloud or ping manually, I get the same error message.  I am unsure about factory resetting since I did that only 24 hours ago.

Which version are you on? Have you tried another browser (preferably Google Chrome or Firefox)? Does this error happen on all devices or just a few?

Factory Resetting again shouldn't do any harm I don't think.

Which version are you on? Have you tried another browser (preferably Google Chrome or Firefox)? Does this error happen on all devices or just a few?

Factory Resetting again shouldn't do any harm I don't think.

I've tried Chrome and MS Edge.  I don't have Firefox installed.  My Xbox One is the only device on the Geo Filter.  I'm on firmware 2.2.1.10.

• Netduma Staff

I've tried Chrome and MS Edge.  I don't have Firefox installed.  My Xbox One is the only device on the Geo Filter.  I'm on firmware 2.2.1.10.

And just to clarify, if you access the interface on other devices does the page load then?

And just to clarify, if you access the interface on other devices does the page load then?

No.  I have tried on a Win10 PC using Google Chrome and MS Edge, and a Macbook Pro using Safari.  All exhibit the same symptoms.  Also, I added my Xbox 360 to the Geo Filter for a total of 2 devices now, and it does the same thing.

• Netduma Staff

No.  I have tried on a Win10 PC using Google Chrome and MS Edge, and a Macbook Pro using Safari.  All exhibit the same symptoms.  Also, I added my Xbox 360 to the Geo Filter for a total of 2 devices now, and it does the same thing.

Alright we will require a screenshot of this happening to ascertain more information. You can upload one here easier by taking your screenshot and uploading it to a site like Imgur (an image sharing site) and pasting a link to the image here. Also worth trying - if you pin the panel to your dashboard does this issue still occur on the dashboard?

I tried to do an Imgur link last night and got a message that said that was not allowed.  However I believe a screen recording might better show the issue.  You can view it here.  Also a screenshot here.  This is happening whenever it tries to connect to something.  I am also unable to pin that portion because it never fully loads to allow the pin option to become available.

why is everyone having to do factory resets just to get this router working ???

i had to do same straight out of the box. setup and wifi didnt work. factory reset, then it works. We should not be having to do this .

clearly a defect somewhere.....?

• Netduma Staff

That's great to hear - I'm glad a factory reset solved the issue :)

why is everyone having to do factory resets just to get this router working ???

i had to do same straight out of the box. setup and wifi didnt work. factory reset, then it works. We should not be having to do this .

clearly a defect somewhere.....?

Bear in mind that thousands of people now own XR500's - you guys and maybe a couple of others have been the only ones to experience an issue worthy of a factory reset. It's just luck of the draw I'm afraid; the router is actually incredibly stable in comparison to others this close to their launch.

That's great to hear - I'm glad a factory reset solved the issue :)

Bear in mind that thousands of people now own XR500's - you guys and maybe a couple of others have been the only ones to experience an issue worthy of a factory reset. It's just luck of the draw I'm afraid; the router is actually incredibly stable in comparison to others this close to their launch.

Hi Jack

given that this isnt the official Netgear support site, its hard really to say just how many people are affected with having to do factory resets. Only Netgear can truly answer that i guess....

I would love to know an "accurate" number of just how many XR500's are out there....?  and how many of those needed factory resets to get up and running properly ...?

Any word on an "actual" Firmware "update" with something "actually updated" or added ? So far ALL updates have been very minor fixes .....? thanks

• Netduma Staff

Hi Jack

given that this isnt the official Netgear support site, its hard really to say just how many people are affected with having to do factory resets. Only Netgear can truly answer that i guess....

I would love to know an "accurate" number of just how many XR500's are out there....?  and how many of those needed factory resets to get up and running properly ...?

Any word on an "actual" Firmware "update" with something "actually updated" or added ? So far ALL updates have been very minor fixes .....? thanks

We're in close partnership with the Netgear support teams, so we know first-hand that any issues requiring a factory reset are thankfully very rare. Our updates so far have ensured the XR500 remains one of the most stable routers available despite having entirely bespoke software. We hope to make it even more stable over time, and once DumaOS is launched for the Netduma R1 we can begin building new features for DumaOS :)

I have owned, a couple of Asus routers and a couple of NG routers and all of them at one point and time needed a factory reset to fix an annoying bug.  Actually for the best results you should always do a factory reset after a firmware upgrade and set the router up from scratch instead of loading your saved settings.