Nighthawk x4s and Netduma R1 together

Elrod

I have both of these routers. What is the best setup in a family home to get these working similar to the xr500? Is it possible or should I just sell both and get an xr500?

I have both of these routers. What is the best setup in a family home to get these working similar to the xr500? Is it possible or should I just sell both and get an xr500?

modem > Netduma > XS4 (set in Access Point mode) would be the optimum setup, that way you can use all the features of the Netduma and have 5Ghz WiFi from the XS4.

• Netduma Staff

Is there any real difference in this setup and getting a

xr500?

There would be a few differences - it's worth checking out the guide Pollutionblues just linked above. The R1 doesn't yet have DumaOS, and when it does the settings will be different since Netgear developed the settings for the XR500. The XR500 also has hardware acceleration, allowing the interface to run faster.

Let us know how you get on with that guide :)

My problem is the r1 can't handle my whole home being on Netflix and YouTube the way the Nighthawk can. So basically if I'm understanding correctly the wifi boost is my only advantage to using the Nighthawk with the R1.

My problem is the r1 can't handle my whole home being on Netflix and YouTube the way the Nighthawk can. So basically if I'm understanding correctly the wifi boost is my only advantage to using the Nighthawk with the R1.

When you say the R1 can’t handle it what do you mean? Buffering?

When 4+ devices are connected it doesn't do well speedwise, where as the nighthawk never skips a beat.

Other r1 issues I've had are:

1 Random wifi disconnect that requires power cycle to remedy.

2 Can't do wifi speed of 50m so my whole internet speed is slower.

Factory reset, turning off ipv6, wifi workaround, turbo mode etc. Don't help. Firmware 1.03.6

When 4+ devices are connected it doesn't do well speedwise, where as the nighthawk never skips a beat.

Other r1 issues I've had are:

1 Random wifi disconnect that requires power cycle to remedy.

2 Can't do wifi speed of 50m so my whole internet speed is slower.

Factory reset, turning off ipv6, wifi workaround, turbo mode etc. Don't help. Firmware 1.03.6

The WiFi channel on the Duma will need changed to stop the dropouts but If you use the Nighthawk in AP mode you won’t have to worry about that.

Can you be a bit more specific with what you mean by it doesn’t do well speedwise? Are you not getting the speeds you should be using the Duma?

What speeds should you get?

I'm not getting full speed even with 1 device. If I put multiple devices on it it feels like any help in latency the Duma was helping is gone. May as well play PS4 on an old Linksys wrt54g.

The Duma can more than handle your speeds so I’m sure it’s just a settings issue and we can get it sorted for you.

Setup: modem > Netduma > Nighthawk (in Access Point mode)

Enter your speeds in device manager and when it asks if you want to auto setup select yes. Then run a speedtest from a wired PC. Do you get your speeds then?