Ping numbers

I just got my new xr500 set up the other day.. still trying to dial in optimal settings.. after running about 20 speed tests on dslreports trying to get the best ping numbers for up and down with least buffer bloat.. iirc I ended up around 25% down, around 100mb/s and 50% up with around 10mb/s..

I've looked and searched through the forum and I can only get an A on bufferbloat but I read that this is normal because dslreports doesn't read some of the packets right.. my ping numbers stay pretty low on the download side, but no matter where my slider was I was getting a lot of high spikes on the upload side making it hard to dial in the best settings..

The gameplay has been pretty well thus far.. I still play infinite warfare as I do not enjoy the slow gameplay of ww2.. I can't recall getting less than a 3 k/d on any game.. but I still feel like it could be better, there were definitely moments when I feel like my bullets should have connected before my opponent killed me..

My main question is more about the host ping reading on the geofilter screen.. most game that I play it is showing around 52ms, occasionally around 70ms, highest I've seen was around 100ms and I backed out before that match started.. is 52ms a decent ping number? I feel like in some of the research I've down that most people's number are quite a bit lower than mine.. something in my settings?

Please advise

• Netduma Staff

I just got my new xr500 set up the other day.. still trying to dial in optimal settings.. after running about 20 speed tests on dslreports trying to get the best ping numbers for up and down with least buffer bloat.. iirc I ended up around 25% down, around 100mb/s and 50% up with around 10mb/s..

I've looked and searched through the forum and I can only get an A on bufferbloat but I read that this is normal because dslreports doesn't read some of the packets right.. my ping numbers stay pretty low on the download side, but no matter where my slider was I was getting a lot of high spikes on the upload side making it hard to dial in the best settings..

The gameplay has been pretty well thus far.. I still play infinite warfare as I do not enjoy the slow gameplay of ww2.. I can't recall getting less than a 3 k/d on any game.. but I still feel like it could be better, there were definitely moments when I feel like my bullets should have connected before my opponent killed me..

My main question is more about the host ping reading on the geofilter screen.. most game that I play it is showing around 52ms, occasionally around 70ms, highest I've seen was around 100ms and I backed out before that match started.. is 52ms a decent ping number? I feel like in some of the research I've down that most people's number are quite a bit lower than mine.. something in my settings?

Please advise

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Your ping is pretty good - we usually recommend less than 60ms ping for the best gameplay. Where you are located in relation to the server is one aspect that affects your ping, so let us know which country you live in :)

Your base ping is also a factor that can bump up your latency. This is a measure of your line and equipment, so cannot be improved through the XR500 or any other secondary router. I'd recommend finding out what your base ping is.

Let us know how you get on and we'll advise you further!

I don't believe I'm getting dedicated servers while I'm playing.. I believe it's p2p... everything that shows up inside of my geofilter is a little general image of a person.. Im located in the U.S. Kentucky to be exact.. I have my playstation set as a priority and my geofilter set to 600 miles.

How would I know if it was a dedicated server? Sometimes a noticed what looks to be more of just a rectangle on the geofilter. I'm guessing that would be a server? Correct me if I'm wrong..

Now I'm sure like a lot of others that are fresh to these gaming routers.. I'm more/less a noob at this connection and IT lingo.. how do a get a measure for my base ping? If I run a speed test on speedtest.net the ping number it shows me is usually around 38ms.. is that a base ping number or do I need to do something else?

• Administrators

It's possible Infinite Warfare is using P2P now that it's an older game but I would expect they still use dedicated servers most of the time. Yeah the rectangle is the dedicated server. Sometimes if we don't have a server classified as a server it will appear as that person icon. Best way to tell if you're on a server is to leave Auto Ping enabled and then look at the domain it shows in the ping panel.

Wired speed test from your PC directly connected to your ISP hub when nothing else is using the internet would be the best way to determine your base ping. So 38ms could be your base ping if it was wired from the XR500.

I'd use PingPlotter to get the best Anti-Bufferbloat settings not DSLReports http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Im assuming based on some investigation i did just now that, if it is in fact a dedicated server, then the domain will be unnamed? I just turned autoping off to ping the rectangle that was showing on my geofilter and thats what it said, host type was dedicated and the domain was unnamed.

I will try the wired speed test shortly to get a baseline ping number, just use the speedtest.net test or which one do you recommend?

I just downloaded pingplotter, and im not 100% sure what im really looking for, I use google to ping, and i have 1 hop that is really irregular, it spikes quite frequently, and one time it caused my ping to www.google.com to spike

pingplot.PNG?dl=0

• Administrators

No that's not always the case, it just means the domain name can't be determined. 

Speedtest.net is fine to use.

This guide may help you a bit more with PingPlotter and what to look for: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

well is there like a golden rule for knowing when it is a server rather than a peer?

I have my modem hooked directly to my computer without the xr500, and i ran about 5-6 different tests on different servers around me in all directions and the lowest ping i got on any of them was 38ms highest was 47ms

I ran pingplotter to google, while hooked up directly to the modem, stayed fairly consistent around 30ms

just hooked my router back up and did the same speed tests to the same servers and the ping numbers range from 48-61??

That seems odd to be that much higher

• Netduma Staff

If you're on a dedicated server you'll usually see less players appearing on the map - it's more likely to just be one or two servers appearing even in a large lobby. It's more than likely that whenever you do connect to one you'll see the server icon on the map though.

I'd recommend running the PingPlotter test to get to the bottom of it - your ping could be higher due to spikes or inconsistencies with your line.

run pingplotter without the xr500? i did that why i had it unhooked... was staying consistently around 30ms pinging google

the lobby im in right now has an 80+ms connection... sucks

I did however just drop my first DE-AT with the new xr-500

• Administrators

It sounds like your base ping is fairly high and fluctuating so 30ms-47ms so on average you should expect your game ping to be roughly ~50-70.

In that case the best you can is make sure your QoS settings is ensuring that you don't experience any local congestion and the Geo-Filter is getting you the closest possible server. Due to your base ping it might not always be a good experience but if you get those settings down you'll have the best experience possible for your connection.

• Netduma Staff

Would that be an issue that I should try and speak to my ISP about?

Issues like spikes / jitter / packet loss / high base latency are all measures of your local line / equipment quality. If your base ping is high the only big way to solve this is to move house or switch ISP and hope your base ping is lower. The other three issues can be reduced by getting a new modem, switching Ethernet cables to new ones etc.

If you have any PingPlotter tests I'd recommend posting them here so we can take a look and advise you further. It might well be something you should speak to your ISP about.

I'm at work right now.. I will run a pingplotter without the xr500 and post it later.. I'm not really in a position to move houses right now.. and to my knowledge the ISP that I have is the only cable provider in my area.. I will also research that...

I initially had a modem/router combo from the ISP, when I opted to get the xr500 I went ahead and bought a brand new netgear cm600 to put in from of it.. also have cat6 ethernet cables less than 3 months old.. so I can pretty safely assume it is not a problem with the modem or cables..

• Netduma Staff

I'm at work right now.. I will run a pingplotter without the xr500 and post it later.. I'm not really in a position to move houses right now.. and to my knowledge the ISP that I have is the only cable provider in my area.. I will also research that...

I initially had a modem/router combo from the ISP, when I opted to get the xr500 I went ahead and bought a brand new netgear cm600 to put in from of it.. also have cat6 ethernet cables less than 3 months old.. so I can pretty safely assume it is not a problem with the modem or cables..

Alright - not to worry, I didn't mean you should literally move house! Pingplotter results are great evidence to provide to ISP engineers - especially with any secondary routers removed from the setup as you've suggested. Those results will provide the most accurate indication of your line quality, and hopefully if it's bad you'll be able to get your ISP to take action to improve your line.

That being said, if your base ping is 30ms as you said above you could be okay; the stability of your line matters more than your base ping. We'll look out for your results!

• Administrators

It's an ISP issue, the only time I've seen something like this setting the XR500 MAC address to the previous router's MAC address lowered it as well as changing DNS but I don't think it would be applicable in this case, though you could try.

• Netduma Staff

Tried changing the Mac address and the dns, separately without any luck

It's not all bad since your line looks very stable. (It's the line graph on the bottom of those results you'll want to focus on). Stability goes a long way when you're gaming, and your base ping is still below what we consider to be a great ping for gaming (

How does your gameplay feel?

• Netduma Staff

I think i prefer gameplay at pings aronud 60-70ms, just got on a dedicated server with around 30ms... it was total garbage,, 

Well in that case your high base ping will work in your favour - I've heard people saying the same about CoD. Seems the lag compensation favours average pings like 50ms over low pings. It could be placebo, but either way if your gameplay feels good then the Geo-Filter is doing its job :D Great to hear!

Yeah geofilter absolutely works.. I was just under the impression that less ping would equal a better experience.. shortly after playing on that server.. I had a peer host at around 22-25ms right on my back doorstep according to where he showed up on my map... game was worse than the server.. after playing for awhile this morning I think I prefer the 60-80ms range... feel good.. good hit detection..

• Netduma Staff

Yeah geofilter absolutely works.. I was just under the impression that less ping would equal a better experience.. shortly after playing on that server.. I had a peer host at around 22-25ms right on my back doorstep according to where he showed up on my map... game was worse than the server.. after playing for awhile this morning I think I prefer the 60-80ms range... feel good.. good hit detection..

In almost all cases a low ping is preferable to a higher ping, though from what I gather the lag compensation in WWII is a bit 'borked' shall we say. I have a feeling that once Black Ops 4 comes around you'll find lower pings preferable again.

Still, even if it turned out that high pings give you the best gameplay, the Geo-filter would be equally useful in securing them. Let me know if you have any other questions or issues and we'll be glad to help :)