Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SWITCH OFF XR500 AT NIGHT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Whitmow

Whitmow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM
Would it be ok to switch off the XR500 off at night, at the same time as the modem

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationNear Manchester

why on earth would you want to do that to either of them?

Posted Image Posted Image

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts

are you in the UK? Are you using a bt line or virgin? If you are not virgin then you really really really shouldn't be doing that at all.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

I mean you can do but there really is no need. They're designed to be always on and therefore don't use up much power

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Whitmow

Whitmow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I have a Virgin Superhub 3 , and they are notorious for overheat and their puma 6 chipset , , have reurned 3 in the last 12 months due to overheat, one was getting hot enough to smell burning ,

Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 08:26 PM

It's always good to turn off modems/routers every once in a while, It clears the cache on the devices.

So i say yeah, why not. But you are not gonna notice any changes on the electrical bill :P

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,676 posts

It's always good to turn off modems/routers every once in a while, It clears the cache on the devices.

So i say yeah, why not. But you are not gonna notice any changes on the electrical bill :P

no, that is where you are wrong. It is not a good idea at all to turn your modem or modem/router off every night as this fellow is asking as if it is on a none cable connection in the UK your line will have DLM implemented on it causing an increase in base ping and lowering of download speeds as the exchange thinks there is a fault on the line. As you are outside the UK you will not know this but your advice was wrong!

As he is on virgin which is cable fttp he is ok to do this. I left virgin because of their poor hardware and infrastructure 3 years ago and it was the best decision i have ever made!

Whitmow

Whitmow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
The virgin service i get is the vivid 200 which is FTTC ( Fibre to the cabinet) then cabled underground to house, currently getting 216 mbps down and 12 up, , FTTP is unlikley to happen anytime soon,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users