DumaOS on the Netduma R1 is now in Open Beta! Learn more here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26315-dumaos-on-the-netduma-r1-is-now-in-open-beta/

Sign in to follow this  
Whitmow

SWITCH OFF XR500 AT NIGHT

I have a Virgin Superhub 3 , and they are notorious for overheat and their puma 6 chipset , , have reurned 3 in the last 12 months due to overheat, one was getting hot enough to smell burning ,

It's always good to turn off modems/routers every once in a while, It clears the cache on the devices.

So i say yeah, why not. But you are not gonna notice any changes on the electrical bill :P

no, that is where you are wrong. It is not a good idea at all to turn your modem or modem/router off every night as this fellow is asking as if it is on a none cable connection in the UK your line will have DLM implemented on it causing an increase in base ping and lowering of download speeds as the exchange thinks there is a fault on the line. As you are outside the UK you will not know this but your advice was wrong!

As he is on virgin which is cable fttp he is ok to do this. I left virgin because of their poor hardware and infrastructure 3 years ago and it was the best decision i have ever made!

The virgin service i get is the vivid 200 which is FTTC ( Fibre to the cabinet) then cabled underground to house, currently getting 216 mbps down and 12 up, , FTTP is unlikley to happen anytime soon,