VPN Client Update?

Hello, I saw a post in the netgear community that there was supposed to be an update to the VPN Client in March that would upgrade the current VPN Client to a hybrid client. The firmware update that came out in March was only a bug update. Is there an ETA on when the hybrid client will be released and what VPN providers will be able to be used?

I am asking this because I just recently purchased this router and my home internet speeds are around 300 Megs for download. When I start the VPN client using HMA my download speed drops to around 10 Megs. I have tested the speeds using both the router client and the downloadable client from HMA.This is a HUGE speed loss and turns this "gaming" router into a worthless router for me. I have contacted HMA and they take no blame or responsibility, nor will they help me try to fix the problem because they say it must be the router that is limiting my bandwidth because there is nothing wrong on their end (even though they offered me absolutely no troubleshooting support except to change to different countries). After their lack of help and terrible support team I asked for a refund and will never do business with them again. I am hoping that you can come up with better options for providers, otherwise the client on this router is absolutely useless and the client is the only reason I purchased this particular router.

Here is the link to the netgear community article where the update was mentioned:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Custom-VPN/td-p/1509015

• Administrators

Hi NightDragon - welcome to the forum! Yes, we are developing the VPN Hybrid feature for the XR500. No exact ETA yet but it is at the top of our priority list so it should be here soon. 

Hi NightDragon - welcome to the forum! Yes, we are developing the VPN Hybrid feature for the XR500. No exact ETA yet but it is at the top of our priority list so it should be here soon. 

Regarding XR500 and VPN-client update.

I have been inquiring about IPVanish as I use it and it's mentioned in the manual for XR500.

Today I got this reply from Netgear support (translated from Swedish):

"I heard back from our engineers. It seems that IPVansih vill be taken away from the manual. Because now HMA is supported but not IP-Vanish."

So it looks as if Netgear will NOT develop a Netduma hybrid soution..

To bad, I will lhave to return my brand new XR500 as the only reason I bought it was beause it had IPVanish integrated.

Just so everyone know, Do not expect anything else but HMA from Netgear.

My guess is that HMA paid a lot of money to get exclusivity on the router.

To bad and a big Disappointment!

My XR500 is going back.

• Administrators

Regarding XR500 and VPN-client update.

I have been inquiring about IPVanish as I use it and it's mentioned in the manual for XR500.

Today I got this reply from Netgear support (translated from Swedish):

"I heard back from our engineers. It seems that IPVansih vill be taken away from the manual. Because now HMA is supported but not IP-Vanish."

So it looks as if Netgear will NOT develop a Netduma hybrid soution..

To bad, I will lhave to return my brand new XR500 as the only reason I bought it was beause it had IPVanish integrated.

Just so everyone know, Do not expect anything else but HMA from Netgear.

My guess is that HMA paid a lot of money to get exclusivity on the router.

To bad and a big Disappointment!

My XR500 is going back.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That is a big assumption based on a response just saying that HMA is the only VPN provider currently supported.

We are working on the Hybrid solution and developers have tested it with providers that are neither HMA or IPVanish so I don't think you would be limited to HMA when it's released as you'll be able to use your own OpenVPN config files for whatever provider you choose.

Thats good to hear!
​Sorry for my assumptions, but I was really pissed off after Reading the answer from Netgear support.
​I did really do my homework before I bought the router and even confirmed with Netgear that IPVanish was supported and read all I could find on the net and nowhere did it say it was only HMA that actually was supported!
​And finally the only support they gave me was to promise to remove the alternative from the manual!
​I would accepted a "We are working on it", but instead I got a "No! we will remove the option from the manual!".
​I guess I give Netgear some room to fix this issue for a while.

​Btw, they did do the same thing when I bought my previous NightHawk R7000.
​Support then promised me they were working an on a VPN Client that would be released in a new firmware.
​I think that was three years ago...

• Administrators

Hi Alaric, no worries, totally understand! 

I'm not sure exactly why they removed IPVanish or if they will bring it back. Support probably doesn't always know about upcoming features unless specifically told. 

Well we're definitely working on our hybrid which should allow you more customisation with the VPN.

I contacted Netgear as well, shortly after I posted this. They told me they were going to bump it up to the higher level of support and get back to me. I didn't hear from them for a few weeks and suddenly I got a reply back a few days ago saying they are closing the case so I don't keep getting random emails from them about the case. Netgear seems to be absolutely useless when it comes to this problem and they don't seem to care that we are suffering as customers. I am not sure I will ever purchase another Netgear product and feel like I just wasted 300 bucks on this router because I am not a heavy gamer.

• Administrators

It will be there soon Alaric. It will be one of the next major features we will introduce. Can’t give an exact ETA yet but we will post here when we have more info. 

• 7 months later...
Guest Killhippie
23 minutes ago, tozuo said:

It's December now so it's either your dev team suck, you've lied or you need to hire better devs. If you're looking for contractors let me know, I may be able to help LOL.

Its Netgear NOT netduma who publish the firmware for the XR450/XR500/XR700 so if you feel that aggrieved nip to the Netgear support forum, but it wont make it happen any faster. The firmware will be here when Netgear decide to release it.

44 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Its Netgear NOT netduma who publish the firmware for the XR450/XR500/XR700 so if you feel that aggrieved nip to the Netgear support forum, but it wont make it happen any faster. The firmware will be here when Netgear decide to release it.

Alright, but why should I care about netduma relationship with netgear? Netduma does the OS, I'm talking about OS update. Netduma people can either PUSH netgear to make a move OR can release "untested" flashable image so we can make an adult decision and cut the netgear off the supply chain. Instead, netduma people do nothing except of promises which are ~year old now ( looking at the forums and threads ).

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, tozuo said:

Alright, but why should I care about netduma relationship with netgear? Netduma does the OS, I'm talking about OS update. Netduma people can either PUSH netgear to make a move OR can release "untested" flashable image so we can make an adult decision and cut the netgear off the supply chain. Instead, netduma people do nothing except of promises which are ~year old now ( looking at the forums and threads ).

I understand why you're frustrated, but I can say that NETGEAR are working very hard to get this latest firmware through testing and out to you guys asap.

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, tozuo said:

No they cant. Its a Netgear router that DumaOS is licensed to run on. Netgear have the final say as its their router and because of the size of the company they sell millions of routers world wide and a bad update would cause huge problems if it bricked hardware.

DumaOS runs on top of Netgears firmware in a firmware sandwich really, of which the Netgear part which has the Qualcomm chipset drivers, the firewall rules, basically everything pretty much on the PCB and all the GPL source code for the router. Netgear will release the firmware when they say its ready. Its not like the R1 where Netduma have full control and they can update DumaOS on its own. On the XR450/XR500/XR700 DumaOS has to be updated in tandem with Netgears own firmware.

As Admin have said It will be released when Netgear are happy with it, and remember there are three devices to code for. Patience here is a virtue. When its released you will know because your router if you set it up to auto update will do just that, or a link to it will be posted on the forum. :)

8 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Non, ils ne peuvent pas. C’est un routeur Netgear sur lequel DumaOS est autorisé à fonctionner. Netgear a le dernier mot en tant que routeur et, en raison de la taille de la société, ils vendent des millions de routeurs dans le monde entier. Une mauvaise mise à jour poserait d'énormes problèmes si le matériel était maçonné.

DumaOS fonctionne au-dessus du micrologiciel Netgears dans un sandwich de micrologiciel, dont la partie Netgear qui contient les pilotes de chipset Qualcomm, les règles de pare-feu, essentiellement tout ce qui concerne le PCB et tout le code source GPL du routeur. Netgear publiera le firmware quand ils diront qu'il est prêt. Ce n'est pas comme la R1 où Netduma a le contrôle total et peut mettre à jour DumaOS de son propre chef. Sur le XR450 / XR500 / XR700, DumaOS doit être mis à jour en tandem avec le micrologiciel de Netgears.

Comme l'a dit l'administrateur, il sera publié lorsque Netgear en sera satisfait, et rappelez-vous qu'il existe trois périphériques à coder. La patience est une vertu. Quand il sortira, vous saurez que votre routeur, si vous le configurez pour une mise à jour automatique, fera exactement cela ou qu'un lien menant à celui-ci sera publié sur le forum.:)

Salut killhippie Netgear à comme même réussi à nous mettre un bug dans la version. 32 (impossible de prioriser les port manuellement) donc leur test poussé sont complètement faux.... Ou alor il y a beaucoup d'incapables dans les testeur netgear...

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, Locosano said:

Salut killhippie Netgear à comme même réussi à nous mettre un bug dans la version. 32 (impossible de prioriser les port manuellement) donc leur test poussé sont complètement faux.... Ou alor il y a beaucoup d'incapables dans les testeur netgear...

Salut Locosano. Il existe toujours des bogues dans les microprogrammes complexes, mais je pense que c’est la raison pour laquelle Netgear met plus de temps à construire cette version, donc il n’y en a pas beaucoup. Il est impossible de créer des logiciels sans bugs, en corriger un peut en créer un autre. C’est la raison pour laquelle des entreprises telles que Microsoft et Apple appliquent toujours des correctifs et le seront toujours. Il n’existe pas de firmware sans bug. S'il vous plaît pardonnez ma traduction J'espère que ce n'est pas si mal

7 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Salut Locosano. Il existe toujours des bogues dans les microprogrammes complexes, mais je pense que c’est la raison pour laquelle Netgear met plus de temps à construire cette version, donc il n’y en a pas beaucoup. Il est impossible de créer des logiciels sans bugs, en corriger un peut en créer un autre. C’est la raison pour laquelle des entreprises telles que Microsoft et Apple appliquent toujours des correctifs et le seront toujours. Il n’existe pas de firmware sans bug. S'il vous plaît pardonnez ma traduction J'espère que ce n'est pas si mal

La traduction est parfaite ;) mais je ne suis pas tout à fait d'accord avec vous certe les mise à jour peuvent créer de nouveaux bug mais en général c'est quand il y a des nouvelles fonctionnalités ou une nouvelle interface la ce n'est pas le cas donc je trouve limite qu'il n'ai pas vu un bug sur une fonctionnalité aussi importante personnellement je travail en relation avec des avions si je fais une erreurs ça peut être grave je fais bien mon boulot tous les jours eux on eu 3 mois de test alor qu'il n'y avait rien de nouveaux à par des mise à jour de sécurité... Comment en 3 mois on ne voit pas un bug aussi flagrant le xr500 et comme même basé sur le gaming... Je croise les doigts pour la prochaine mise à jour et surtout j'espère avoir de nouvelle fonctionnalité c'était le but de duma os des nouvelles fonctionnalités 1 ans plus tard toujours rien mais je désespére pas je crois encore en duma malgré tous les problèmes qu'il ont pu avoir... 

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Locosano said:

La traduction est parfaite ;) mais je ne suis pas tout à fait d'accord avec vous certe les mise à jour peuvent créer de nouveaux bug mais en général c'est quand il y a des nouvelles fonctionnalités ou une nouvelle interface la ce n'est pas le cas donc je trouve limite qu'il n'ai pas vu un bug sur une fonctionnalité aussi importante personnellement je travail en relation avec des avions si je fais une erreurs ça peut être grave je fais bien mon boulot tous les jours eux on eu 3 mois de test alor qu'il n'y avait rien de nouveaux à par des mise à jour de sécurité... Comment en 3 mois on ne voit pas un bug aussi flagrant le xr500 et comme même basé sur le gaming... Je croise les doigts pour la prochaine mise à jour et surtout j'espère avoir de nouvelle fonctionnalité c'était le but de duma os des nouvelles fonctionnalités 1 ans plus tard toujours rien mais je désespére pas je crois encore en duma malgré tous les problèmes qu'il ont pu avoir... 

Merci pour le gentil commentaire, j'espère que cette traduction aura également un sens.
 Netduma n’est pas le problème autant que Netgear. Ils ont de nombreux routeurs et un petit nombre d’écrivains de microprogrammes, j’imagine bien, pas un codeur pour chaque produit, mais quelques codeurs qui traitent un sous-ensemble de nombreux produits. De plus, il y a toujours des délais à respecter, alors peut-être qu'avec la sortie du XR700 et en arrière-plan la poussée vers les routeurs Wi-Fi 6, cette erreur a dépassé l'assurance qualité. Votre travail est très différent, j'imagine, les logiciels sont essentiels à la mission. Ce ne sont que des routeurs domestiques, et non des logiciels / micrologiciels sur mesure écrits pour l’industrie aéronautique ou médicale où des vies sont en jeu. Comme je l'ai mentionné, il suffit de regarder Microsoft, Apple ou Linux. Ils peuvent avoir une vulnérabilité de jour zéro et les corriger peut créer un autre bogue imprévu dans les milliers de lignes ou de code ailleurs, dont certains peuvent être plus anciens que nous le savons.

Le firmware des routeurs de Netgear, Asus, Xyxel, TP-Link, etc. n’a probablement pas été réécrit depuis le début, seules de nouvelles lignes de code sont ajoutées et les anciennes lignes peuvent parfois être laissées de côté car elles sont redondantes. C'est la même chose que j'imagine dans l'ensemble de l'industrie de l'IdO, des téléviseurs aux routeurs en passant par les téléphones mobiles. Il y aura toujours des problèmes dans les mises à jour, principalement dans les éléments exécutés en arrière-plan. Nous ne les verrons donc jamais. De plus, lorsqu'un nouveau produit est publié, il s'agit parfois d'un correctif, car le matériel jouera un rôle aussi important que le micrologiciel lui-même.

Il est donc peut-être aussi plus facile pour les rédacteurs du micrologiciel de ne pas disposer de trois mois sur un produit, ce temps sera divisé en travaux sur d’autres produits. Ainsi, des erreurs sont parfois commises et transmises au consommateur, mais pas chaque fois, espérons-le. De plus, les pilotes de Qualcomm dans ce cas peuvent avoir des bogues que Qualcomm doit corriger alors qu’ils lancent eux-mêmes un nouveau silicium, et ainsi de suite, à l’infini.  :)

you mean this one ?

(i no longer own this router but a mate does ...? these are his screenshots.

LOOKS LIKE THEY ONLY ADDED 1 MORE PROVIDER LOL!! "purevpn" ...    aaaAAAAA...haaahaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaaaaa!

firmware.jpg

vpn1.jpg

vpn2.jpg

vpn3.jpg