Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

VPN Client Update?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Nightdragon15

Nightdragon15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 PM

Hello, I saw a post in the netgear community that there was supposed to be an update to the VPN Client in March that would upgrade the current VPN Client to a hybrid client. The firmware update that came out in March was only a bug update. Is there an ETA on when the hybrid client will be released and what VPN providers will be able to be used?

I am asking this because I just recently purchased this router and my home internet speeds are around 300 Megs for download. When I start the VPN client using HMA my download speed drops to around 10 Megs. I have tested the speeds using both the router client and the downloadable client from HMA.This is a HUGE speed loss and turns this "gaming" router into a worthless router for me. I have contacted HMA and they take no blame or responsibility, nor will they help me try to fix the problem because they say it must be the router that is limiting my bandwidth because there is nothing wrong on their end (even though they offered me absolutely no troubleshooting support except to change to different countries). After their lack of help and terrible support team I asked for a refund and will never do business with them again. I am hoping that you can come up with better options for providers, otherwise the client on this router is absolutely useless and the client is the only reason I purchased this particular router.

Here is the link to the netgear community article where the update was mentioned:

https://community.ne...PN/td-p/1509015

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 828 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 PM
  • LocationNetduma HQ

Hi NightDragon - welcome to the forum! Yes, we are developing the VPN Hybrid feature for the XR500. No exact ETA yet but it is at the top of our priority list so it should be here soon. 

Nightdragon15

Nightdragon15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Thank you, I am very glad to hear that. Is it normal to lose over 200 megs of speed when using the VPN Client? Or am I an isolated case?

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 828 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ
Not isolated at all. Most VPN providers provide limited bandwidth speeds.

Alaric

Alaric

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Hi NightDragon - welcome to the forum! Yes, we are developing the VPN Hybrid feature for the XR500. No exact ETA yet but it is at the top of our priority list so it should be here soon. 

Regarding XR500 and VPN-client update.

I have been inquiring about IPVanish as I use it and it's mentioned in the manual for XR500.
Today I got this reply from Netgear support (translated from Swedish):
"I heard back from our engineers. It seems that IPVansih vill be taken away from the manual. Because now HMA is supported but not IP-Vanish."

So it looks as if Netgear will NOT develop a Netduma hybrid soution..
To bad, I will lhave to return my brand new XR500 as the only reason I bought it was beause it had IPVanish integrated.

Just so everyone know, Do not expect anything else but HMA from Netgear.
My guess is that HMA paid a lot of money to get exclusivity on the router.
To bad and a big Disappointment!
My XR500 is going back.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

Regarding XR500 and VPN-client update.

I have been inquiring about IPVanish as I use it and it's mentioned in the manual for XR500.
Today I got this reply from Netgear support (translated from Swedish):
"I heard back from our engineers. It seems that IPVansih vill be taken away from the manual. Because now HMA is supported but not IP-Vanish."

So it looks as if Netgear will NOT develop a Netduma hybrid soution..
To bad, I will lhave to return my brand new XR500 as the only reason I bought it was beause it had IPVanish integrated.

Just so everyone know, Do not expect anything else but HMA from Netgear.
My guess is that HMA paid a lot of money to get exclusivity on the router.
To bad and a big Disappointment!
My XR500 is going back.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That is a big assumption based on a response just saying that HMA is the only VPN provider currently supported.

We are working on the Hybrid solution and developers have tested it with providers that are neither HMA or IPVanish so I don't think you would be limited to HMA when it's released as you'll be able to use your own OpenVPN config files for whatever provider you choose.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Alaric

Alaric

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Thats good to hear!
​Sorry for my assumptions, but I was really pissed off after Reading the answer from Netgear support.
​I did really do my homework before I bought the router and even confirmed with Netgear that IPVanish was supported and read all I could find on the net and nowhere did it say it was only HMA that actually was supported!
​And finally the only support they gave me was to promise to remove the alternative from the manual!
​I would accepted a "We are working on it", but instead I got a "No! we will remove the option from the manual!".
​I guess I give Netgear some room to fix this issue for a while.

​Btw, they did do the same thing when I bought my previous NightHawk R7000.
​Support then promised me they were working an on a VPN Client that would be released in a new firmware.
​I think that was three years ago...

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

Hi Alaric, no worries, totally understand! 

I'm not sure exactly why they removed IPVanish or if they will bring it back. Support probably doesn't always know about upcoming features unless specifically told. 

Well we're definitely working on our hybrid which should allow you more customisation with the VPN.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Nightdragon15

Nightdragon15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

I contacted Netgear as well, shortly after I posted this. They told me they were going to bump it up to the higher level of support and get back to me. I didn't hear from them for a few weeks and suddenly I got a reply back a few days ago saying they are closing the case so I don't keep getting random emails from them about the case. Netgear seems to be absolutely useless when it comes to this problem and they don't seem to care that we are suffering as customers. I am not sure I will ever purchase another Netgear product and feel like I just wasted 300 bucks on this router because I am not a heavy gamer.

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 828 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ
Hi Dragon - sorry to hear this. We’ll follow it up directly with Netgear for you and see if we can share more

Alaric

Alaric

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationStockholm
Any news about the VPN client implementation into XR500? The update was expected in Mars and it's soon May.

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 828 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

It will be there soon Alaric. It will be one of the next major features we will introduce. Can’t give an exact ETA yet but we will post here when we have more info. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users