Nest Camera - XR500 Issues.

I switched from an Asus AC66U to the XR500. Overall very happy with it and solved all the issues I had with gaming. 

My Nest Camera however has serious issues with this router for some reason. it randomely disconnects several times a day, and even when its connected I can barely watch live video even on Low quality. It worked fine with the AC66U so trying to figure out what is causing the issue with the XR500. 

I have a 100/10 connection, and nothing using bandwidth currently and I can't even get the video camera to get past the spinning wheel.  (this camera is less than 10 feet from the router, no walls)

I tried specifically assigning the camera more upload bandwidth in QOS but it made no difference (as it technically shouldn't since it should use overflow, and nothing is using bandwidth). 

I originally set up my network with 2g/5g separated, I have since gone back to the default (where the Router determines the best network). Is it possible to still tell this device to use a specific network? 

Thanks for any thoughts or tips. 

• Administrators

Hey, first I'd go through this and just double check everything is setup as they suggest: https://nest.com/uk/support/article/Troubleshooting-Wi-Fi-and-connection-issuesas that might resolve it, if not we can go from there. It's likely not a DumaOS issue so may need to refer you to Netgear Support if we're unable to solve it.

Hey, first I'd go through this and just double check everything is setup as they suggest: https://nest.com/uk/support/article/Troubleshooting-Wi-Fi-and-connection-issuesas that might resolve it, if not we can go from there. It's likely not a DumaOS issue so may need to refer you to Netgear Support if we're unable to solve it.

Yeah I already went through all that unfortunately. I thought I would post here first due to the nature of this forum generally attracting slightly more advanced users. I suspect its more of a setting than hardware issue :)

Can you answer the other part, is it possible in any way to force a device to use 5g/2g with the default "Router picks best" method? Thank you!

• Administrators

Yeah totally understand. You should get a very good level of support from the 24/7 phone line!

So with Smart Connect enabled i.e. so only one SSID broadcasting theres no way to force it to use either. It will intelligently switch based on the devices needs, i.e. if more bandwidth needed it may switch to 5Ghz

How far away is the Nest camera from the XR500?

I have a 100/10 connection, and nothing using bandwidth currently and I can't even get the video camera to get past the spinning wheel.  (this camera is less than 10 feet from the router, no walls)

:)

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I've upgraded from an AT&T fiber router to a XR500 and I'm experiencing the same issues with one of my nest cameras. Before switching routers I never experienced this issue. I haven't adjusted any settings on the interface yet.

• Administrators

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I've upgraded from an AT&T fiber router to a XR500 and I'm experiencing the same issues with one of my nest cameras. Before switching routers I never experienced this issue. I haven't adjusted any settings on the interface yet.

Hey, welcome to the forum! Have you tried the troubleshooting link I provided?

I read somewhere a while back that SIP should be disabled when using some home monitoring equipment such as nest as it can  cause issues, the same as with voip. I suggest you disable SIP in XR500. turn off nest, reboot router and when fully up and running restart nest camera(s) and let us know if that solves your issue.

I've disabled the SIP setting, set static IPs for the cameras, run through the posted Nest troubleshooting and today I ran a wifi analyzer and moved the 5GHz band to a non-DFS channel that no surrounding networks are using. I'm still have my two outdoor cameras randomly disconnecting occasionally. They didn't do this with my previous router and my indoor camera hasn't been affected so far.

I haven't no but was considering this as a next step, although that in itself is enough of a concern for me to return this router. My bundled router from AT&T maintains a connection for my Nest cameras on the 5GHz band and never cuts out. This router is *supposed* to be a giant leap forward/upgrade but I can't sacrifice signal strength (a primary function) for nice-to-have features. My cameras tell me when they're offline, but who knows what other devices may be losing connections.

One other thing I'm going to try is disconnecting my Google Home devices and see if they are causing interference since I know that's a known issue in general.

I haven't no but was considering this as a next step, although that in itself is enough of a concern for me to return this router. My bundled router from AT&T maintains a connection for my Nest cameras on the 5GHz band and never cuts out. This router is *supposed* to be a giant leap forward/upgrade but I can't sacrifice signal strength (a primary function) for nice-to-have features. My cameras tell me when they're offline, but who knows what other devices may be losing connections.

One other thing I'm going to try is disconnecting my Google Home devices and see if they are causing interference since I know that's a known issue in general.

i would try the google devices 1st. I have hive heating system that I can control anywhere in the world to heat my home but it kept losing connection to my network. It turned out to be a faulty thermostat rather than my R1 but it took months for british gas to find out what it was until it finally died. If your other routers 5ghz is fine with the nest then it is likely not the 5ghz on the XR500.

if you connect your phone to wifi and go to where the camera is that loses connection and see what signal strength is on your phone will determine what strength the camera is receiving. If the signal is strong to good then it is not the wifi or router!

Another update -

I unplugged the Google Home devices and about 6 hours later one of my cameras went offline for the regular 10-15 minutes or so once again. I tested the signal at each outdoor camera. One had a -60dBm signal strength and the other -65dBm. Both cameras were in the 200-300mbps down/150-250mpbs up speeds based on my phone tests beside the cameras.

I got a notification as I got into bed that my one indoor camera went offline and when I checked it out it had a very slow glowing/flashing yellow light. After about 10 minutes it clicked and the reboot/blue LEDs kicked in and it started up again.

I wanted to mention again that these 3 cameras were einstalled over a year ago and never once had an issue. This started happening the day I got the new router last week so there is a very high probability it is the router.

I will test the 2.4GHz band tomorrow, although this isn't a viable option for a $300 router. I purchased the Asus AC88u router before this one and the 5GHz band died after 2 days which apparently isn't uncommon for that high end router... maybe basic functionality in routers are an oversight in the engineering and design process these days :/

• Administrators

Thanks for the update Monyx. The hardware has gone through intense testing with IoT devices so NETGEAR should be able to sort this out for you. Give them a call and let us know how you get on.

I take it all these cameras have static ip's, you seem to know your stuff so I am sure they have but wanted to ask anyway. I have no experience with these devices but I have a suggestion but not sure if it would work. Is it possible for those cameras to go on the guest network just for those cameras therefore isolated from other devices and possible interference. Spending the money on this router and to have your issue must be frustrating, just trying to find a solution and or cause!

• Administrators

I take it all these cameras have static ip's, you seem to know your stuff so I am sure they have but wanted to ask anyway. I have no experience with these devices but I have a suggestion but not sure if it would work. Is it possible for those cameras to go on the guest network just for those cameras therefore isolated from other devices and possible interference. Spending the money on this router and to have your issue must be frustrating, just trying to find a solution and or cause!

That's a really good idea! Try that please Monyx - put them on the guest network and see if it resolves the problem

That's a really good idea! Try that please Monyx - put them on the guest network and see if it resolves the problem

if it works it may not be an ideal solution for him but it could help until a solution is found or could help to narrow down tthe issue for you guys to solve!

• Administrators

I'm not sure how the cameras work exactly but this may be related to another issue with Xbox changing the required speeds it needs depending on it's level of activity. If the Nest camera goes to sleep and awakens when it sees movement this could be it. If it is then Netgear have everything they need to try and debug this to work on a fix.

I had withheld changing the network they were on because (if any of you are nest cameras owners you know this) I need to get my big ladder out and pop the cameras off to get to their barcode - a really annoying task considering where I've mounted these).

I decided to remove the new router completely and revert to my previous one. I re-enabled both WiFi bands and made the network names match identically to what I named them on the XR500. Everything that was previously online came back, including the cameras. This way I could also ensure if it were interference from another device on the network it would still exist. Needless to say it's been over 24 hours and none of my cameras have disconnected. I was getting upwards of 5-10 disconnects per day with the XR500.

I did the support call thing with Asus for the AC88U I purchased and the agent bricked my router within 10 minutes and I had to, on my own, use the flash recovery tool to bring it back to life. I decided to return the XR500 because I'm within my 30 days - I just don't have the time and patience to troubleshoot this. I know how these things go with manufacturers and support the majority of the time.

Maybe when Netgear sorts this issue out I will consider coming back, but this is way too big of flaw in basic functionality for me to look past.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you've decided to return the router. I'm pretty confident the issue is related to what we're already working on and hopefully you'll consider the XR500 again in future. I'll close this topic for now.