DON'T Buy another router to "throttle" your R1 for COD lag comp

KAC1023

I saw a few videos where people are buying another router to cap their UL and DL speeds to like 1024kbs/512kbs, you don't have too. all you have to do is set your bandwidth to a "little bit" more that what you want, example.. I want a 1mb download and a .5 upload (512kbs).. I'll set my bandwidth to 1.01 download and .52 upload. Then this is KEY, go to "congestion control", it's also where you can set your bandwidth #'s, set your algorithm to "reactive" I know there has been a lot of discussion for setting that to Preemptive if your under 50MB/s, just trust me on this one, if you don't like it, turn it back... Now set your UL and DL to 99% and leave the prioritization alone.

This is for people who ONLY use their R1 for the consoles, if you have a laptop, iPad, etc ALSO running off the R1 this will NOT work. I have a FIOs router/modem so off that I run a Apple Airport Extreme for my tablets, phones and laptops. ONLY the console(s) run off the R1. 

This is an issue that I actually know a lot about (as opposed to almost everything else networking related lol). Unfortunately the same legal troubles that delayed my review for ages prevent me from speaking on this issue in any great detail.

Lowering your up/down bandwidth or adding artificial latency is not to your advantage in CoD games. It can sometimes make you feel like a warrior, but 99% of the time it will work against you. Wish that I could off more insight or evidence but I legally cannot.

I actually put my speed at bellow DSL speed for a .05 UL and 3 DL and the game works great. Why is it then when I use 40DL and 30UL I am "behind" the game, my hit detection is garbage and all the other players shots are dead on?

• Administrators

Hi KAC,

I'll chime in my opinion. The congestion control feature is to stop others at home making you lag, so you're losing (in my opinion) a major benefit of the router by having other devices bypassing it.

I personally don't think throttling will help but people seem to be going out there way to do it. The next upgrade will allow you to set bandwidth numbers explicitly like some other routers. I've added it for non-gaming related traffic shaping but also I really don't want customers spending even more money on another router just for that feature. 

It works for me, another method is keep your set DL to what it is, for your upload set it to 5 then go into "device prioritization" and set your console to 1%, un tick share excess, click update and a warning will come up, click ok. What you just did was set your consoles upload to 50kb/s, see how that works.....

It'll be great to know what Driftor's reasoning is but... let me give my own opinion.

I have a 3Gbps Down and 2.5Gbps Up connection. I tried my own congestion settings on Black Ops 2 a while back on my Netduma router and the difference is night and day.

Before Congestion Control tweaks:
You can feel it when you are being Lag Compensated with this sluggish feeling your character has making your SMG feel like you are carrying an LMG.
And you getting insta-killed before you can get any shot off those laggy buggers. Sometimes, it is because I became host and sometimes, I am just another client player. But if I ever see a 1-2 bar player that joined mid game, that sluggish feeling tends to come back in that moment.

After Congestion Control tweaks:
Using the Congestion Control to limit my speeds really does work. Actually, it worked so well that even if I play on those annoying Japanese lobbies which is extremely far away from my region, (resulting in me having a 3 bar vs their 4 bar) I actually felt like I have a significant advantage over them. This wasn't the case last time. And I used to block Japan on my geo filter altogether.

So maybe if you live in a populated area, it is almost unnoticeable and makes you feel like there isn't any difference but in regions where players are sparse, I am glad I have the Netduma to bring my local region players together as opposed to constantly being sent to Japanese lobbies due to it being more populated with COD players.

My 2 cents worth. If need be, I have an elgato and I can do some proof-test for comparison sake.

PS. My settings ain't perfect as once in a while, I can feel the sluggishness coming back mid game again and you know you've just lost your Lag Compensation 'God Mode' Advantage and sure enough, you check your leaderboard and there is a new 1-2 bar player who just joined the game who will then get the upperhand on you on the gunfights. So I might just try these new pair of settings that KAC posted.

I personally don't think throttling will help but people seem to be going out there way to do it. The next upgrade will allow you to set bandwidth numbers explicitly like some other routers. I've added it for non-gaming related traffic shaping but also I really don't want customers spending even more money on another router just for that feature. 

i found it to work GREAT in MW3. i would DL for days while playing and the more network traffic i had the better i was in teh lag comp... BO2 was the opposite, ANY traffic killed everything, then again i never found anything that worked on that game still to this day, even the R1 doesnt help it.

I actually put my speed at bellow DSL speed for a .05 UL and 3 DL and the game works great. Why is it then when I use 40DL and 30UL I am "behind" the game, my hit detection is garbage and all the other players shots are dead on?

BECAUSE LAG COMPENSATION  PENALIZES GOOD CONNECTIONS.

I've said it a million times, I've post it a million more. No one ever believed it :(

I based mine on SimJC's baseline which I can't quite remember. Refer to his YouTube videos. He was the one who introduced the Netduma R1 to me via his videos.

But like I said, I called it a baseline as I find that what worked for him did not work as well as it did for him. So I modified mine significantly and with a lot of rigorous testing till I found the settings that worked for my location.
And even with that, I'd have to modify mine while in game depending on who I see is connected to me at times.

This is an issue that I actually know a lot about (as opposed to almost everything else networking related lol). Unfortunately the same legal troubles that delayed my review for ages prevent me from speaking on this issue in any great detail.

Lowering your up/down bandwidth or adding artificial latency is not to your advantage in CoD games. It can sometimes make you feel like a warrior, but 99% of the time it will work against you. Wish that I could off more insight or evidence but I legally cannot.

Junior member... Driftor, my man we need more posts from you!

The MAN is in the house!  LMAO

Hi KAC,

I'll chime in my opinion. The congestion control feature is to stop others at home making you lag, so you're losing (in my opinion) a major benefit of the router by having other devices bypassing it.

This is why I asked you a while back regarding if you were going to add this feature, I would prefer not to purchase another router for this reason and yes, I just use the R1 for the Geo feature on my console only to correct the error of match making.

Regardless of Mr Activision statement, I have, as others have determined, that lowering your bandwidth does improve game play.

If this action is no more than the equivalent of a "placebo pill", there is nothing wrong with that as it makes ones life better.

And that is all people are searching for, fun game play again, hence why your product is so wonderful and popular, it corrects the errors of the developers.

Again, looking forward to the new feature.

I've stated before and will continue, I really appreciate all of your hard work to make gaming fun again.

Take care.

The early part of this video presents a good argument to consider.

https://youtu.be/8p2_UBWbqOk

I've throttled my speed before and I'm of the opinion that it just doesn't work.

The results were mixed just like before. It's hard to tell if the good games were because of throttling because you simply don't know if the experience would be the same, better or worse if you weren't throttling.

I have a guess as to how throttling became popular. It was most likely from ppl with horrid upload speeds having good games. This was most likely because their upload became saturated which caused their ping to fluctuate like crazy. Throttling doesn't effect that. If you throttle a 25mbps upload to .5 it won't get saturated since you have 23.5 to spare

I followed KAC1023 and this has worked perfectly for the last 3 days . I only have my Xbox connected to the DUMA with CC set to 1 down and 0.5 up . My connection is fibre 80/20 . All other devices running off my sky hub now . I notice many more double kills and I come top much more on the leader board which is not like me ! Below or at best an average player IMO . DriftOr I love you vids man but come on with the BS you don't work for NASA or the secret service ( unless I am mistaken

hey guys, so I have a couple quick questions. For this to work, I need to take my ipad, my iphone and my laptop OFF the duma, and put them on to my normal router from my isp in order for this to work? So the only device on my duma is my ps4?

And what If I have more than one gaming console, how do you set up a lag free network if you have more than just one xbox one, or one ps4, but instead like 2 ps3s, or 2 360s?

Only my personal opinion having tried this throttling stuff on previous cods, (many times over the years) but it does not work in the long term, sure you may have a few decent games but it cannot realistically be good for gaming. You may well have had a few decent games anyway.

It is my firm belief that if everybody playing online games did their utmost best to get the best connection possible and sort out local congestion etc then online gaming would be a whole lot smoother and better overall.

What would happen if everybody who was playing the game did this throttling thing? It would be a much bigger mess than it is now.

As a footnote I would also just like to say that just because some youtuber said it is so, does not make it so. seriously.

The above is just my own experience but I do think that if throttling your connection really worked then the entire gaming community would be doing it.

If you go into Options when your in the multiplayer menu at the bottom it shows bandwidth, Black Op's 2 did the same thing in their menu options. I feel as if that # if it is low 3-400kb/s the games are different than if it were higher like 4100kb/s, just like BO2, it maxed out at 9999kb/s or 10MB/s. I just feel as if the game instead of using ping to matchmake you, it uses your location and speed, you have a high speed you'll connect "further" if you have a low speed it keeps you closer... I just mis COD4 and MW2 where the connections were great even at peak hours, hit detection was great. Now I feel as if COD after MW3 went to the birds with the whacky connection, and no one can find a way to make it playable.

Archived