Router randomly lost internet connection and couldn’t access it

• Administrators

So the issues occurred when it was static? Interesting. Apparently there isn't a DHCP Lease option much to my surprise. Depending on how many devices you have connected you could give them all static IPs then disable DHCP completely and see if the issues persist. It'd be really helpful for my report to Netgear but understandable if you don't want to do that. 

There is however a post on the Netgear forum that mentions how to change the lease time using Telnet if you want to try it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/DGND3700v1-DHCP-Lease-Time/m-p/983075/highlight/true#M4787

So the issues occurred when it was static?

Yes both static and non static connections

Interesting. Apparently there isn't a DHCP Lease option much to my surprise. Depending on how many devices you have connected you could give them all static IPs then disable DHCP completely and see if the issues persist. It'd be really helpful for my report to Netgear but understandable if you don't want to do that. 

There is however a post on the Netgear forum that mentions how to change the lease time using Telnet if you want to try it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers

I just noticed something weird to me.  So under Settings/Setup/Internet Setup  my config below

Get Dynamic from ISP =selected

DNS Get automatically =selected

Router MAC address = Use Default Address = Selected

Ok here is what is weird to me my actual MAC printed on Box and on bottom of router are different from what I am seeing in default address?  I would assume the default MAC would equal the routers actual MAC. 

Example router without pasting my actual address MAC is lets say is 8A3ADG112345 my router displays this 8A3ADG112346  maybe this is a Netgear thing.

/DGND3700v1-DHCP-Lease-Time/m-p/983075/highlight/true#M4787

Right now I am not going to adjust the DHCP until I get more information I will have to speak to Netgear before making this change.  I am seeing way too many lease renewals and need to figure out why so frequent.

• 1 month later...

Same problem just happened again - I'm on the latest firmware and I did a factory reset when I updated too.

I had about 8 days uptime and I was downloading the Fortnite update and all devices couldn't access the internet - I could access and ping other devices on the network but couldn't access the router at all - tired wired and wireless devices.  had to do a reboot :(

• Administrators

Same problem just happened again - I'm on the latest firmware and I did a factory reset when I updated too.

I had about 8 days uptime and I was downloading the Fortnite update and all devices couldn't access the internet - I could access and ping other devices on the network but couldn't access the router at all - tired wired and wireless devices.  had to do a reboot :(

I've sent you a PM with a firmware to try

Hey I don't mean to thread hijack but I'm experiencing the similar issues with my router just disconnecting all clients. Netgear just told me "known issues...." I was on the phone for over an hour, mostly on hold.  I have had issues since day of purchase with frequent disconnects and UPnP.

If I put my old router back in place then I have zero issues. 

I'm mostly using my linksys wrt32x lately, waiting to see if a firmware ever becomes available that doesn't fall over every other day requiring a power off and on at the switch to fix will come along.

Perhaps I just have too many devices in my house for this router to cope? (45-50 devices online at times)

• Administrators

Hey I don't mean to thread hijack but I'm experiencing the similar issues with my router just disconnecting all clients. Netgear just told me "known issues...." I was on the phone for over an hour, mostly on hold.  I have had issues since day of purchase with frequent disconnects and UPnP.

If I put my old router back in place then I have zero issues. 

Is this just in Destiny 2? If yes, make sure you have unchecked Strict Mode on your Geo-Filter.

If it is general drop outs, is it just on a wired connection or wireless as well? 

The more information you can provide the better as we can help you fix your problem

I'm mostly using my linksys wrt32x lately, waiting to see if a firmware ever becomes available that doesn't fall over every other day requiring a power off and on at the switch to fix will come along.

Perhaps I just have too many devices in my house for this router to cope? (45-50 devices online at times)

The XR500 can easily handle that many devices (and more). Is that the router you are comparing to? I can't comment on the Linksys's capabilities obviously.

It is indeed. Don't have any other spare routers at the moment, so the linksys is in use with the xr500 hanging off the back of it while testing for now.

XR500 still falls over. It's my second xr500 as the 1st one chose to never save it's config when it fell over and required setting up from factory settings everytime it was powered off, so there is some improvement I guess.

It's so close to greatness, yet so far away as I can't use a router that requires a daily reboot. Stability should come before any additional features.

Out of interest and for testing, is there an option to disable the duma stack from loading to test if it still falls over when just using the basic netgear portion of the firmware? (I imagine it will still crash as it looks to be the netgear side that falls over)

• Administrators

Hi Gouldin - there's no way to do this yourself. But you could try disabling QoS (go to Anti-Bufferbloat's advanced options). That effectively disables most of the intensive DumaOS stuff, such as DPI.

See if disabling that solves your problem, but I'd be surprised. This feels far more like a hardware issue. I know they test routers on 100+ devices so it really should be able to handle your setup.

Let us know if it changes after disabling QoS. 

Same result unfortunately. Was working brilliantly all day yesterday, then when I woke up it had disconnected the wan port in the middle of the night, tried rebooting via the gui, problem remained.

Powered it off then on again and works fine again.

• Administrators

Same result unfortunately. Was working brilliantly all day yesterday, then when I woke up it had disconnected the wan port in the middle of the night, tried rebooting via the gui, problem remained.

Powered it off then on again and works fine again.

Was a console connected/did it do an update overnight?

Several ps4's, 2 ps3's a WiiU, around 3 Switches and a few Vitas all on standby.

Already on the latest firmware and auto update is disabled.

Only one of the ps4 consoles is connected via ethernet and I've tried it going directly into xr500 and also a netgear gs108t switch as I figured the router might not like the ps4 going into 100mb Ethernet when it's asleep.