Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Router randomly lost internet connection and couldn’t access it

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 700 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 PM
  • LocationNetduma HQ

For Destiny 2 you just need to disable strict mode and it should work great. Don’t stop using the Geo-Filter as it will force local players

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 PM
Ok router just went offline no connections active hardwired or wifi. Its not the new Netgear CM600 I plugged it in direct to PC and internet came right up. So my uptime has been almost 4 hours. Factory reset time.

Fathomless

Fathomless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 PM

Do you see Comcast public IP on the router? the reason why i am asking is that Comcast told me that i can only have one IP. If computer got public IP it means that router cannot. I tired to have two IPs, and i requested two for troubleshooting , but they could not accommodate that.....if you can open the case with NetGear, just ask tier 1 to forward you to tier 2, and document issue you have, they will need to debug it.

I do not know if Frazier got all debugging info he needs, i promise that i will follow up with my case tomorrow morning(pacific time), but i do not have repro yet.

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

Bmann - what setting do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to? If it's 'High Priority Traffic Detected', could you try it on 'Always/Never' to test if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Fathomless - thanks for your help with this. The more info you can collect from the logs etc the easier it will be for NETGEAR to look into

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Do you see Comcast public IP on the router? the reason why i am asking is that Comcast told me that i can only have one IP. If computer got public IP it means that router cannot. I tired to have two IPs, and i requested two for troubleshooting , but they could not accommodate that.....if you can open the case with NetGear, just ask tier 1 to forward you to tier 2, and document issue you have, they will need to debug it.

I do not know if Frazier got all debugging info he needs, i promise that i will follow up with my case tomorrow morning(pacific time), but i do not have repro yet.

Yes it is the public ip from Comcast and the pc ip is from the router. Right now after the factory reset it seems to be fine but time will tell. Funny you mention this I have been thinking something was weird with my initial setup. I noticed in the logs that it was trying to get its dhcp from comcast and not from the router initially. This may have been normal but just seemed weird to me since all the previous routers did not seem to behave this way. So in my case i think it has something to do with the way it does its network discovery on initial setup.

Forgot to mention i got a new ip since i changed out my cable modem to a netgear cm600. So a fresh start :)

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Bmann - what setting do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to? If it's 'High Priority Traffic Detected', could you try it on 'Always/Never' to test if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Fathomless - thanks for your help with this. The more info you can collect from the logs etc the easier it will be for NETGEAR to look into

Set to always.Right now no issues after the factory reset but need to give it a day or two to see how it goes.

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Well for awareness just got kicked out completely from Xbox while playing destiny 2 competitive match network is still up and solid.  Cable modem not a single log in the logs so it rock solid but I am noticing thins in the logs on the router preceding this loss of network to Xbox. Nothing looks bad to me. While I was typing this the xbox reconnected itself which I have never experienced before strange maybe I got Ddosed since I was top player. lol Ran dslreports from edge browser A+ A  A+ so no issues :)  So when I have experienced disconnects I have seen lease changes in the log proceeding the disconnect this is the only common denominator that stands out right now.

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:28:56
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 91.228.153.17, port 80, Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:28:45
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:19:41
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:19:01
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:19:01
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.100] to MAC address  Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:19:01
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:18:45
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:18:45
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.100] to MAC address , Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:18:45  (my Xbox) I removed the MAC from the log fyi.

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Xbox goes offline again but rest of network is fine and same logged messages .  I am leaning to a DHCP problem I googled DHCP issues and Netgear and I so a bunch of Netgear related issues due to DHCP and other models maybe they still have some bad code.

I checked my lease time from a PC

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 28, 2018 8:42:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:00:19 PM

I set my Xbox up as a static address.  I just added my pc to a static address and will leave it on overnight to see if it also disconnects connection.

Overnight results:  PC stayed online no disconnects.  Ipad wifi went offline while I was watching youtube also had another ipad go offline because saw it was disconnected this morning.

So right now random disconnects both wifi and hardwired devices.  Checked cable modem no logged messages so its been rock solid still.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

Very interesting, good troubleshooting. Static IP is exactly what you should do. I wouldn't recommend setting them for every device as it could take awhile. I would however recommend extending the time of the DHCP lease and see if you experience the issue less frequently. 

Since you set static for the Xbox has that stopped dropping?

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Xbox has been static the entire time.  How to I extend the lease time ? I am assuming my ISP sets this.

I just noticed something weird to me.  So under Settings/Setup/Internet Setup  my config below

Get Dynamic from ISP =selected

DNS Get automatically =selected

Router MAC address = Use Default Address = Selected

Ok here is what is weird to me my actual MAC printed on Box and on bottom of router are different from what I am seeing in default address?  I would assume the default MAC would equal the routers actual MAC. 

Example router without pasting my actual address MAC is lets say is 8A3ADG112345 my router displays this 8A3ADG112346  maybe this is a Netgear thing.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

So the issues occurred when it was static? Interesting. Apparently there isn't a DHCP Lease option much to my surprise. Depending on how many devices you have connected you could give them all static IPs then disable DHCP completely and see if the issues persist. It'd be really helpful for my report to Netgear but understandable if you don't want to do that. 

There is however a post on the Netgear forum that mentions how to change the lease time using Telnet if you want to try it: https://community.ne...ight/true#M4787

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So the issues occurred when it was static?

Yes both static and non static connections

Interesting. Apparently there isn't a DHCP Lease option much to my surprise. Depending on how many devices you have connected you could give them all static IPs then disable DHCP completely and see if the issues persist. It'd be really helpful for my report to Netgear but understandable if you don't want to do that. 

There is however a post on the Netgear forum that mentions how to change the lease time using Telnet if you want to try it: https://community.ne...-Modems-Routers

I just noticed something weird to me.  So under Settings/Setup/Internet Setup  my config below

Get Dynamic from ISP =selected

DNS Get automatically =selected

Router MAC address = Use Default Address = Selected

Ok here is what is weird to me my actual MAC printed on Box and on bottom of router are different from what I am seeing in default address?  I would assume the default MAC would equal the routers actual MAC. 

Example router without pasting my actual address MAC is lets say is 8A3ADG112345 my router displays this 8A3ADG112346  maybe this is a Netgear thing.

/DGND3700v1-DHCP-Lease-Time/m-p/983075/highlight/true#M4787

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

Interesting, I'm not sure why that would be but it shouldn't have any adverse affect.

Time Converter

Bmann

Bmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Right now I am not going to adjust the DHCP until I get more information I will have to speak to Netgear before making this change.  I am seeing way too many lease renewals and need to figure out why so frequent.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

I've made a note of it and will talk to Netgear about it as well.

Time Converter

jb68

jb68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Same problem just happened again - I'm on the latest firmware and I did a factory reset when I updated too.

I had about 8 days uptime and I was downloading the Fortnite update and all devices couldn't access the internet - I could access and ping other devices on the network but couldn't access the router at all - tired wired and wireless devices.  had to do a reboot :(

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

Same problem just happened again - I'm on the latest firmware and I did a factory reset when I updated too.

I had about 8 days uptime and I was downloading the Fortnite update and all devices couldn't access the internet - I could access and ping other devices on the network but couldn't access the router at all - tired wired and wireless devices.  had to do a reboot :(

I've sent you a PM with a firmware to try

Time Converter

user9901

user9901

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM

Hey I don't mean to thread hijack but I'm experiencing the similar issues with my router just disconnecting all clients. Netgear just told me "known issues...." I was on the phone for over an hour, mostly on hold.  I have had issues since day of purchase with frequent disconnects and UPnP.

If I put my old router back in place then I have zero issues. 

Gouldin

Gouldin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCoventry
I'm mostly using my linksys wrt32x lately, waiting to see if a firmware ever becomes available that doesn't fall over every other day requiring a power off and on at the switch to fix will come along.
Perhaps I just have too many devices in my house for this router to cope? (45-50 devices online at times)

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

Hey I don't mean to thread hijack but I'm experiencing the similar issues with my router just disconnecting all clients. Netgear just told me "known issues...." I was on the phone for over an hour, mostly on hold.  I have had issues since day of purchase with frequent disconnects and UPnP.

If I put my old router back in place then I have zero issues. 

Is this just in Destiny 2? If yes, make sure you have unchecked Strict Mode on your Geo-Filter.

If it is general drop outs, is it just on a wired connection or wireless as well? 

The more information you can provide the better as we can help you fix your problem

I'm mostly using my linksys wrt32x lately, waiting to see if a firmware ever becomes available that doesn't fall over every other day requiring a power off and on at the switch to fix will come along.
Perhaps I just have too many devices in my house for this router to cope? (45-50 devices online at times)

The XR500 can easily handle that many devices (and more). Is that the router you are comparing to? I can't comment on the Linksys's capabilities obviously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users