Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Router randomly lost internet connection and couldn’t access it

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

jb68

jb68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM
Had to power it off completely, the LEDs for Ethernet was flashing like mad. All devices lost internet connection too.

Not sure what caused it and the logs seem to get reset after reboot.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

It's working now though is that right?

Was there anything you were doing at the time specifically? I would upgrade to the latest firmware here: http://forum.netduma...ailable-v22110/then do a factory reset and continue to monitor it and let us know if it happens again please.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Wally173

Wally173

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Jb68. I had this issue too. It happened multiple times after updating firmwares previously. I then updated the firmware and factory reset it like Fraser is recommending and reconfigured everything from scratch. Working perfect now. It is a little bit of a pain to factory reset and reconfigure everything after firmware updates but taking the time to do that will prevent issues from arising

Trueseeker

Trueseeker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local time: 06:12 PM
I had same issue with XR500, also had to restart modem and then router reconfigure everything then turn my PlayStation on due to having issues connecting. This is a real pain and hopefully they fix the issue. After every reboot the router can’t find my modem which is a netgear modem btw and have to do a complete reset. It’s like the router can’t communicate with everything once reboot.

jb68

jb68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I updated to the new firmware a few days ago. Wasn’t doing anything really. Went on to my iPhone and it showed it was connected to WiFi but couldn’t access anything. I then try my echo and right enough. No internet connection. After 5-10 mins trying to access router from phone and my Mac. I had to power it off and on.

I’ll try factory reset when I get home from work. Unsure what may have caused the crash

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,757 posts

Thanks to everyone for letting us know what happened in each of your cases. We'll be sure to look into this issue and let you know if we find anything. I'm really glad it remains up and running after power cycling!

Fraser will be online soon and might have some more input on this, but for now let us know if this issue happens again.

Technical support:

Fine tuning guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc.
FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.
Wiki - Main link to the Wiki, for everything else please search here or on the forum.
Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

I had same issue with XR500, also had to restart modem and then router reconfigure everything then turn my PlayStation on due to having issues connecting. This is a real pain and hopefully they fix the issue. After every reboot the router can’t find my modem which is a netgear modem btw and have to do a complete reset. It’s like the router can’t communicate with everything once reboot.

You should never have to reboot the modem if the router messes up as they're two separate entities. A factory reset should fix it when the error occurs without rebooting anything else.

Hi,

I updated to the new firmware a few days ago. Wasn’t doing anything really. Went on to my iPhone and it showed it was connected to WiFi but couldn’t access anything. I then try my echo and right enough. No internet connection. After 5-10 mins trying to access router from phone and my Mac. I had to power it off and on.

I’ll try factory reset when I get home from work. Unsure what may have caused the crash

Factory reset is the definitive fix.

----------------------

I have passed this issue on to Netgear with as much data as could be provided. However, if you get it again I would highly recommend calling their 24/7 support by logging in here: http://support.netgear.com/that will let them know that more than 1 person is having the issue.

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

jb68

jb68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Exact same problem has just happened - router completely crashes - couldn't access it at long - had to turn off the power. ive done the factory reset and thats not the fix. frustrating as anything.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

I've chased Netgear's development team for instructions for users on what to do it happens again to collect information so they can fix it as soon as possible. The only intermediary fix until then is a factory reset. Will keep you updated.

Time Converter

jb68

jb68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I've chased Netgear's development team for instructions for users on what to do it happens again to collect information so they can fix it as soon as possible. The only intermediary fix until then is a factory reset. Will keep you updated.

Okay I’ve already done the factory reset and the exact same problem happened. I wasn’t doing much either. Was idle on PS4 and browsing internet on my phone and bam - router inaccessible and only way to access was to completely turn it off.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

If you open a ticket with Netgear they can hopefully get you a solution or provide more instructions to help their Dev team if I don't receive word back first.

Time Converter

Gouldin

Gouldin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCoventry
For now I've given up until a new firmware comes along. Using a Wrt32x in the meantime as it became too frequent.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts
Sorry to hear that, I’ll keep you updated if I get any more information.

Time Converter

Fathomless

Fathomless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 03:12 PM

Hi Fraser,

Is there a QFE to fix that issue or you would recommend to use XR500 as secondary router because of reliability points?

Thank you.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

The only way I know how to solve it is a factory reset. That is up to you, I would however contact Netgear so they can fast track it as an issue to hopefully get it resolved quickly.

Time Converter

Gouldin

Gouldin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCoventry
Only issue with netgear support is that frankly it's the worst support of any router company and not once, be it as an enterprise customer, or consumer have I ever received any level of support beyond, can you do a factory reset and that's a known issue, use xyz router instead.

Fathomless

Fathomless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 03:12 PM

I think I will try factory reset, since I have two issue at the moment and I tend to keep as many configurations default as possible.

To help you guys with bubbling up the issues, I will open two cases, one for random internet disconnect and another for hardwired connection lost. I called NG yesterday but did not have serial number to open the case, they gave me direct T2 support line, it suppose speed up trouble shooting I guess. I would use this opportunity to open the case with Arris as well, I have no idea how to troubleshoot that modem and Comcast. With Comcast though I will try to downgrade from 1Gbps, to exclude DOCSYS 3.1 issues if any.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

Only issue with netgear support is that frankly it's the worst support of any router company and not once, be it as an enterprise customer, or consumer have I ever received any level of support beyond, can you do a factory reset and that's a known issue, use xyz router instead.

If you do telephone support it should be a lot better!

I think I will try factory reset, since I have two issue at the moment and I tend to keep as many configurations default as possible.

To help you guys with bubbling up the issues, I will open two cases, one for random internet disconnect and another for hardwired connection lost. I called NG yesterday but did not have serial number to open the case, they gave me direct T2 support line, it suppose speed up trouble shooting I guess. I would use this opportunity to open the case with Arris as well, I have no idea how to troubleshoot that modem and Comcast. With Comcast though I will try to downgrade from 1Gbps, to exclude DOCSYS 3.1 issues if any.

Great do keep us updated!

Time Converter

Gouldin

Gouldin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCoventry
That is with telephone support. Literally, you should have bought the cheaper router was their response.
Hence I'm stuck using a Wrt32x (1st World problems I know, not exactly a bad router, if not dare I say faster and way more stable than an xr500) until something resembling a stable router appears from this purchase.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,825 posts

That is with telephone support. Literally, you should have bought the cheaper router was their response.
Hence I'm stuck using a Wrt32x (1st World problems I know, not exactly a bad router, if not dare I say faster and way more stable than an xr500) until something resembling a stable router appears from this purchase.

They said you should have bought a cheaper router? Do you have a call number or anything to identify this call? Perhaps a date/time? I would like to pass that to Netgears Senior Management, as that is not on. 

I hope to hear back from the Development team soon with a solution.

Time Converter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users