New XR500 DumaOS Upgrade Available V2.2.1.10

• Administrators

Hi all, 

There is a new download available V2.2.1.10 - this is mainly just bug fixes. Once available I will update with the changelog and the official link from Netgear. 

DO NOT UPGRADE USING THE TOP RIGHT BUTTON OF THE INTERFACE. The new version fixes an error with that top right button but if you upgrade using it from your current version you may have an issue that will leave your router unable to access the interface.

If you do get that issue please let us know and we can help you recover it.

If you would like to upgrade safely please follow these instructions.

1. Download latest firmware : https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yqpsrjqv9n6qck/XR500-V2.2.1.10.img?dl=0

2. Run your web browser and open http://www.routerlogin.net.
  3. Click Settings => Administration => Firmware Upgrade page.
  4. Click Browser button and locate the firmware image file.
  5. Click Upload button.
  6. Wait for upgrade progress to complete.

If any problem occurs after upgrading, try clearing the configuration by pressing the Reset Button on Rear Panel until the Power LED blinks and hold on for 5 seconds at least, then the router will reboot with default configuration.

Hi all, 

There is a new download available V2.2.1.10 - this is mainly just bug fixes. Once available I will update with the changelog and the official link from Netgear. 

DO NOT UPGRADE USING THE TOP RIGHT BUTTON OF THE INTERFACE. The new version fixes an error with that top right button but if you upgrade using it from your current version you may have an issue that will leave your router unable to access the interface.

If you do get that issue please let us know and we can help you recover it.

If you would like to upgrade safely please follow these instructions.

1. Download latest firmware : https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yqpsrjqv9n6qck/XR500-V2.2.1.10.img?dl=0

2. Run your web browser and open http://www.routerlogin.net.
  3. Click Settings => Administration => Firmware Upgrade page.
  4. Click Browser button and locate the firmware image file.
  5. Click Upload button.
  6. Wait for upgrade progress to complete.

If any problem occurs after upgrading, try clearing the configuration by pressing the Reset Button on Rear Panel until the Power LED blinks and hold on for 5 seconds at least, then the router will reboot with default configuration.

I've upgraded but it broke my PPPoE connection so I have had to roll back the firmware again. 

• Administrators

I've upgraded but it broke my PPPoE connection so I have had to roll back the firmware again. 

Not sure why that would be. I will contact a Netgear developer and see if they can arrange a troubleshooting or at least data gathering session - the timezone would be factor and they may not be able to do it but will see what I can do.

• Administrators

I feel like most users are going to try upgrading using the button in the top right corner, unless there're going through initial setup

The router's can be easily recovered so any one who has an issue after doing so just needs to contact us or Netgear and we'll be able to get them back up and running again.

I uploaded this firmware version and I have these problems:

Unable to browse due to problems with SSL certificates (PPPoE connection type)
The configuration section concerning the 5 GHz channel has disappeared in the wireless section.

I had to reload the previous version 2.2.0.4 (for me it works very well) and reset the router, now everything is back to normal.

upgraded from V2.1.0.6 to this new one V2.2.1.10 via Settings, Administration, Firmware Update -> Check , downloaded rebooted, no issues so far as i can tell...

[uPDATE] - actually , just noticed my QoS is active for no apparent reason, throttling my Internet when I'm NOT playing games or Downloading anything. Pc is sitting idle....

it will only turn off if i disable (untick) DumaOS Classified Games....?

antibuffer-float.jpg

traffic.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

• Administrators

upgraded from V2.1.0.6 to this new one V2.2.1.10 via Settings, Administration, Firmware Update -> Check , downloaded rebooted, no issues so far as i can tell...

[uPDATE] - actually , just noticed my QoS is active for no apparent reason, throttling my Internet when I'm NOT playing games or Downloading anything. Pc is sitting idle....

it will only turn off if i disable (untick) DumaOS Classified Games....?

Do you have steam in your system tray? I've noticed sometimes that will allow it to happen. Easiest way to tell is to check the Network Monitor and click on a total usage bar for download/upload, then drill down under category and application to see what's using bandwidth. You should see a DPI entry for Source Engine for example.

Mystery solved: the problems are caused by the change of language. The wireless menu is displayed completely if I switch from Italian to English.

Great to hear that, thanks for the info!

Guest Killhippie

All working well here, I did a factory reset after updating, two things i've noticed are, if I have PSN messenger on my iPad the router thinks my iPad is a PlayStation, and my Sony UPH-1 Sony Blu-ray player gets recognised as a PlayStation too, I think that's something to do with Bravia sync but both need looking into as more blu-rays players by Sony may trigger the same issue, and the PSN messenger turning my iPad into a PlayStation every time I launch the app is a bit annoying.

• Administrators

All working well here, I did a factory reset after updating, two things i've noticed are, if I have PSN messenger on my iPad the router thinks my iPad is a PlayStation, and my Sony UPH-1 Sony Blu-ray player gets recognised as a PlayStation too, I think that's something to do with Bravia sync but both need looking into as more blu-rays players by Sony may trigger the same issue, and the PSN messenger turning my iPad into a PlayStation every time I launch the app is a bit annoying.

Thanks - improving device recognition is on our roadmap.

• Administrators

Hi,

Any chance we can get a list of all the fixes in latest firmware??

Regards,

Just waiting on Netgear to post the change log. We’ll update the OP once it’s available. 

is there any firmware update yet for the LED Reversal issue

Also waiting for more info from Netgear on this. 

Since I’ve done update had issues, just now my router dropped WiFi and I have been loosing internet where their scratching sound through game audio like internet was unstable and my character couldn’t control movement. This is 2nd time my router has done this.

• Administrators

Ok - I don’t think this will be the update itself causing this (but you can always downgrade back to another version if you like) and it won’t be DumaOS either so at this point I recommend you contact Netgear’s 24/7 live support and they can walk you through tests they need to do to diagnose the issue. You can contact them here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Let us know how you get on and hopefully this will all be fixed for you very soon. 

Guest Killhippie

is there any firmware update yet for the LED Reversal issue

I wouldn't hold your breath, if that was going to happen it would have been with this update I'm pretty sure, they are not going to keep pushing routers out with this reversal without fixing it in firmware asap, which I don't think is possible tbh. I would love to be proved wrong on this but I think it will be new hardware that just prints the ports on the back the right way round maybe and as it does not effect the actual usage of the router, people that grabbed the XR500 at release may be left with this which is really just cosmetic.. but annoying as hell if you are even slightly OCD.

After another attempt including a factory reset, a hard reset and three attempts at the set-up wizard the XR500 connected to the Internet. I've since rebooted twice so things are looking good.

Connection is stable but I still have my Geo issues, can't ping Nintendo's matchmaking servers (east coast US) so can't add them to approved hosts lists. This means I need to keep my Geo filter really wide (UK based) defeating the purpose. As a test, my R1 connected to the XR500 has no issues pinging these servers and adding them. 

• Administrators

After another attempt including a factory reset, a hard reset and three attempts at the set-up wizard the XR500 connected to the Internet. I've since rebooted twice so things are looking good.

Connection is stable but I still have my Geo issues, can't ping Nintendo's matchmaking servers (east coast US) so can't add them to approved hosts lists. This means I need to keep my Geo filter really wide (UK based) defeating the purpose. As a test, my R1 connected to the XR500 has no issues pinging these servers and adding them. 

When a Developer is available I'll be getting them to look at that for you

I found out the issue, it’s with the UPNP on the XR500, if you turn it off and port forward or port trigger, it causes issues. I port forward ps4 WW2 with port 80, 443, etc. within 45mins I here a crackling sound through speakers in headset, my player looses connection while still playing in game and it’s hard to control and comes and goes and gets worse where I rebooted the router. Which also causes me to have to reboot modem than reset router to reconfigure to get a connection and then turn on ps4. Have to do those steps to get a connection which is strange.

I know it’s the router due to me trouble shooting, I connected my Asus AC5300 again and didn’t have the problem the XR500 was having with port forward. Also when I do port scan even with upnp or portforwarding the ports are still closed, so I don’t thing they are being opened by the router and theirs an interference of some sort.

• Netduma Staff

I found out the issue, it’s with the UPNP on the XR500, if you turn it off and port forward or port trigger, it causes issues. I port forward ps4 WW2 with port 80, 443, etc. within 45mins I here a crackling sound through speakers in headset, my player looses connection while still playing in game and it’s hard to control and comes and goes and gets worse where I rebooted the router. Which also causes me to have to reboot modem than reset router to reconfigure to get a connection and then turn on ps4. Have to do those steps to get a connection which is strange.

I know it’s the router due to me trouble shooting, I connected my Asus AC5300 again and didn’t have the problem the XR500 was having with port forward. Also when I do port scan even with upnp or portforwarding the ports are still closed, so I don’t thing they are being opened by the router and theirs an interference of some sort.

Interesting, thanks for letting us know what you have found! Since the settings pages were developed by Netgear this might be one for them, but we'll be sure to look into this. So to clarify, when you just use UPnP do you still get those connection issues? There could be a specific port required for the game audio which is being missed.

Also I personally get crackling sounds through my headphones since they aren't officially supported by the console. The crackling happens when my phone is on and near the headphones or there is other wireless interference. Let us know if this helps and if UPnP works for you :)

really interesting you mention the crackling in headset issue! I too have this with WWII on Pc. I believed though this was just some weird issue with my headset though...?

Is your headset wired or wireless (like mine) are ? Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 by any chance ,,,?

discussed here on this forum.... https://steamcommunity.com/app/476600/discussions/0/1479857071258618615/

...applies to other headsets as well apparently...

• Netduma Staff

really interesting you mention the crackling in headset issue! I too have this with WWII on Pc. I believed though this was just some weird issue with my headset though...?

Is your headset wired or wireless (like mine) are ? Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 by any chance ,,,?

discussed here on this forum.... https://steamcommunity.com/app/476600/discussions/0/1479857071258618615/

...applies to other headsets as well apparently...

My headset is a Razer Kraken wired to a wireless PS4 controller. If your headset is incompatible / not an official PS4 / Xbox headset then you can get interference wherever there's a wireless connection. (So if your headset is wired to the controller there can be interference between the controller and the console, and if your headset is wireless the interference will be between the headset and the console).

It can happen for me whenever I use the internet on another wireless device near it - namely a phone. I believe only official headsets will not experience this issue. I'm not sure about PC though if the headset is wireless I imagine the issue is similar.