Random disconnects with wired connection

I experienced a disconnection on the LAN ports of the XR500 today. I do have a Xbox One on the network. I will make sure that it is not in instant-on mode. I have had the XR500 since launch and this is first time this has happened. My son is home from college and brought his Xbox One into the network recently. From what I am reading, this may explain the disconnects. If there is a XR500 firmware that fixes this issue, I would like to have it.

I think Fraser will be online in 8-9 hours, ask him about debugging firmware if you are willing to participate in debugging. Side effect in my case - i cannot repro that failure. .

....but if you just wanted quick mitigation - disable instant-on.

• Administrators

I experienced a disconnection on the LAN ports of the XR500 today. I do have a Xbox One on the network. I will make sure that it is not in instant-on mode. I have had the XR500 since launch and this is first time this has happened. My son is home from college and brought his Xbox One into the network recently. From what I am reading, this may explain the disconnects. If there is a XR500 firmware that fixes this issue, I would like to have it.

Okay interesting, so you've never had the issue until an Xbox was apart of your network? As above I can provide you with the debug firmware, its not necessarily a fix though that does seem to be the case for Fathomless. It will however allow you to collect the necessary debugging information should it happen again. Would you like the debug firmware?

---

Update I have been given a new firmware to see if it fixes the issue. If anyone wants it please let me know as I am unsure of who may still be encountering the issue. Dilly Dilly I have PM'd you this.

Are you guys dropping LAN completely or just the xbox?

For me, it was just the hardwired devices connected to the Ethernet ports on the router. I did not lose the wireless connections. The Xbox is connected wirelessly through a 5GHz wireless bridge, and I did not lose its connection.

Update I have been given a new firmware to see if it fixes the issue. If anyone wants it please let me know as I am unsure of who may still be encountering the issue. Dilly Dilly I have PM'd you this.

I'll down to try this new firmware. I have some time off this week so should be able to test it thoroughly.

Okay interesting, so you've never had the issue until an Xbox was apart of your network? As above I can provide you with the debug firmware, its not necessarily a fix though that does seem to be the case for Fathomless. It will however allow you to collect the necessary debugging information should it happen again. Would you like the debug firmware?

---

I would like to try it new firmware, but most likely one week later. Can start testing on June 3rd.

Mine went offline 2 times while I was onb vacation and a hard reset fixed my issues since I was gone and had to walk someone on how to reboot my stuff.  Upon review I noticed my IP has changed and my download channels and upload channels on my cable modem has increased. So this maybe an ISP issue and will monitor this to see if it happens again this week.

Mine went offline 2 times while I was onb vacation and a hard reset fixed my issues since I was gone and had to walk someone on how to reboot my stuff.  Upon review I noticed my IP has changed and my download channels and upload channels on my cable modem has increased. So this maybe an ISP issue and will monitor this to see if it happens again this week.

That is definitely an isp issue if your ip address and other perameters have changed on your cable modem.

• Administrators

Thanks for the update. 

my xbox dropped ethernet connect tonight when powering on from instant on, it was turned off for 3 or 4 days, i haven't had an issue in quite some time. My PC however still works fine.   Network monitor will also not load, get the spinning icon and does nothing, ill power cycle the router   Up time 5 days

• Administrators

my xbox dropped ethernet connect tonight when powering on from instant on, it was turned off for 3 or 4 days, i haven't had an issue in quite some time. My PC however still works fine.   Network monitor will also not load, get the spinning icon and does nothing, ill power cycle the router   Up time 5 days

I've sent you a PM with potential firmware that fixes the issue.

Seeing this thread is very disheartening. I just bought this router 3 days ago and have had my two ethernet devices lose connection within hours of reboots. I have an Arlo base station and Xbox connected but both drop connection within a very short time period of reestablishing connection. Reading this thread isn't giving me any hope that I can fix this, nor is the tech support from Netgear who told me to do a factory reset and that "it will fix it, then monitor and we will call you back in 2 days.".... well guess what, it dropped my ethernet connected devices an hour after we hung up! The only thing preventing me from returning this router tonight is the fact that the ASUS gaming router is sold out at all the best buys near me. So before I press order on Amazon for one, is there any hope or communication from Netgear that a fix is coming? Have they even acknowledged this issue?  Otherwise this product will be out my door by tomorrow evening. Awesome product overall, wifi is killer, but this is not acceptable. 

• Administrators

Seeing this thread is very disheartening. I just bought this router 3 days ago and have had my two ethernet devices lose connection within hours of reboots. I have an Arlo base station and Xbox connected but both drop connection within a very short time period of reestablishing connection. Reading this thread isn't giving me any hope that I can fix this, nor is the tech support from Netgear who told me to do a factory reset and that "it will fix it, then monitor and we will call you back in 2 days.".... well guess what, it dropped my ethernet connected devices an hour after we hung up! The only thing preventing me from returning this router tonight is the fact that the ASUS gaming router is sold out at all the best buys near me. So before I press order on Amazon for one, is there any hope or communication from Netgear that a fix is coming? Have they even acknowledged this issue?  Otherwise this product will be out my door by tomorrow evening. Awesome product overall, wifi is killer, but this is not acceptable. 

Hey, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. It seems to affect only a small handful of users so has been very hard to reproduce in order for the development teams to reproduce. We've been in constant communication with Netgear who are very aware of the issue. As above we now have a firmware with a potential fix and the results so far are looking good!

Can you send this to me please?

Absolutely, I've PM'd you.

Hey, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. It seems to affect only a small handful of users so has been very hard to reproduce in order for the development teams to reproduce. We've been in constant communication with Netgear who are very aware of the issue. As above we now have a firmware with a potential fix and the results so far are looking good!

Absolutely, I've PM'd you.

Loaded the firmware, rebooted, still having the issue.. not good.

• Administrators

Loaded the firmware, rebooted, still having the issue.. not good.

Strange, everyone with it so far hasn't had the issue. Can you do a factory reset please to make sure nothing from the previous firmware affects it and continue to monitor the situation please

Strange, everyone with it so far hasn't had the issue. Can you do a factory reset please to make sure nothing from the previous firmware affects it and continue to monitor the situation please

I will give it a shot when I get home from work. This issue has taken down my security system and I don't have the time to keep playing with an issue this silly.