Random disconnects with wired connection

Thank you for the reply. If this was the issue with the arris then my iPad and other devices would have been offline also but they were up and connected to the internet. What made me think it was software related was the fact I was connected to the router and was configuring my geofilter when I went offline and I remember exactly what I was doing I selected strict mode in the geofilter then offline I went. I had a pc, iPad,Xbox and laptop online during this event and everything that was hardwired went offline. I did in fact check the arris logs and so no disconnects but who knows I will keep an eye on it since I am still getting use to this router and will provide more feedback if I find anything.

I see you still have WIFI, in this situation one of the triggers I had with Arris sb8200->XR500 is when you would got to setup of XR500 and try to go via setup wizard and complete setup, within 1 hour Ethernet ports will disconnect. but once I reboot XR500 Ethernet ports will stay up for awhile. In my case Arris sb8200 needs to be rebooted daily with 1gbps service and once in a few days when I downgraded to 150mps.

My current setup is Negear CM1000->XR500, and no matter what I tried last 2 days setup is very stable, I tried stress test as well, nothing could bring XR500 down.

My qos was set to always. I will try your suggestions to see if I see anything different. In my case this has only happened 1 time in 24 hours and will review and post anything new.

• Administrators

My qos was set to always. I will try your suggestions to see if I see anything different. In my case this has only happened 1 time in 24 hours and will review and post anything new.

Thanks for the info, was Traffic Prioritization enabled or disabled?

I see you still have WIFI, in this situation one of the triggers I had with Arris sb8200->XR500 is when you would got to setup of XR500 and try to go via setup wizard and complete setup, within 1 hour Ethernet ports will disconnect. but once I reboot XR500 Ethernet ports will stay up for awhile. In my case Arris sb8200 needs to be rebooted daily with 1gbps service and once in a few days when I downgraded to 150mps.

My current setup is Negear CM1000->XR500, and no matter what I tried last 2 days setup is very stable, I tried stress test as well, nothing could bring XR500 down.

Great info thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My arris is overkill since I only have 280 down and 12 up. I just bought it because I trust the Broadcom chipset but may go back to Motorola still Broadcom chipset if this is the cause of my issues. I just had a Asus 3100 and linksys wrt 3200 they both did not have any disconnects. I did own the dreadful puma chipset been through that.

Is this a normal thing happening in the logs?  Maybe false positives.

[DumaOS] R-App store cloud sync failed, Thursday, April 26, 2018 14:42:15
[DumaOS] HTTP download failed with code '404', Thursday, April 26, 2018 14:42:15
[DumaOS] Resync R-App store cloud, Thursday, April 26, 2018 14:42:15
[DumaOS] Cloudsync DPI result 'false','All mirrors are down', 

Also some DDos type events

[DumaOS] Cloud sync: Router timezone is not UTC '-800', Thursday, April 26, 2018 14:39:46
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 60.31.185.75, port 80, Thursday, April 26, 2018 11:59:41
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 81.2.216.144, port 80, Thursday, April 26, 2018 10:08:09
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 81.2.216.144, port 80, Thursday, April 26, 2018 10:08:09

My QoS was set to "When High Priority Traffic Detected" but I've set it to Never to see if that helps. 

Traffic Prioritization was also enabled.

I'm currently in the US and have my laptop so I could technically get them access with Teamviewer. Only issue is that this often happens at night and so with roommates etc who need access I'm often quickly resetting it to not cause any problems. 

Other than that I'm happy to help.

I want to say it has been happening less than before and I haven't really changed anything network wise but it's definitely still an occurrence.. 

• Administrators

Okay let me know if QoS resolves it. 

If you're able to do let me know, otherwise what may be best is to attach a USB to the router then go to http://www.routerlogin.net/debug.htmenable debug log capture on startup & LAN/WAN Packet Capture and store it on the USB then when you notice the issue has happened wait a few minutes then go back and save it. I think they would do something similar to this but wouldn't have the before/after.

It is currently happening (no wired connection to desktop but wireless is fine). If someone is around then they can take a look. 

This was with QoS disabled. 

I do have a USB if you want me to store any logs for this instance. 

UPDATE:

Emailed you guys the log but obviously it may not pinpoint the cause. Have since rebooted, connected a USB stick and have started capturing the debug from startup and with LAN/WAN Packet capture. 

Hopefully I can replicate the issue and get something to you. 

• Administrators

It is currently happening (no wired connection to desktop but wireless is fine). If someone is around then they can take a look. 

This was with QoS disabled. 

I do have a USB if you want me to store any logs for this instance. 

UPDATE:

Emailed you guys the log but obviously it may not pinpoint the cause. Have since rebooted, connected a USB stick and have started capturing the debug from startup and with LAN/WAN Packet capture. 

Hopefully I can replicate the issue and get something to you. 

Thanks for emailing Achilles. Really appreciated. We have sent it onto NETGEAR. Fingers crossed you can get more info.

Guessing it happened over night as I woke up and found my desktops connection not working. 

I saved the debug log and retrieved whatever was stored on the USB. USB didn't seem to have a debug log stored itself so maybe I did something wrong? I had a "ReadyDNLA" folder which held some database records from what I can see. Either way, I have attached everything. 

This debug log should have been created since the start of my reboot when we last spoke, so hopefully it has something valuable. 

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks a lot Achilles. I'm still holding out that it'll happen again so you can catch it when it actually occurs but really appreciate your help on the matter.

I'm just running debugger in the background from boot now. Anytime I see that it occurred I'm saving the log. Hopefully I can get a time where it literally JUST occurs and if it does I'll let you know. 

• Administrators

Who can I send my debug log to?  Just killed my connection on my xbox but everything is is up and operational.

You can send it to [email protected], whats the debug log - before and after or just after it occurred? Is this related to the DHCP as it's a slightly different issue as not losing internet completely.

You can send it to [email protected], whats the debug log - before and after or just after it occurred? Is this related to the DHCP as it's a slightly different issue as not losing internet completely.

The debug log was active before and after the crash. :)

This is all related to me having an unstable router that is having frequent disconnects and I have been pointing my finger at possible DHCP issues but I cannot confirm anything right now.  I have been reviewing my own logs from the router and debug logs and I am not an expert on the Netgear platform since I have only owned this for 4 days now.

Thanks

• Administrators

The debug log was active before and after the crash. :)

This is all related to me having an unstable router that is having frequent disconnects and I have been pointing my finger at possible DHCP issues but I cannot confirm anything right now.  I have been reviewing my own logs from the router and debug logs and I am not an expert on the Netgear platform since I have only owned this for 4 days now.

Thanks

Fantastic, that should be really helpful. If you email it over we can collate and send it over to Netgear.

I had a repro yesterday as well, it takes quite a bit of time to repro. This time it happened while I was playing Xbox, and switching it into a hibernation mode a few times a day, there was almost no traffic on the network, but Ethernet still failed. I will try to set debugging today :).

On positive side, when XR500 works it is pretty good experience, I am taking 1/2 places frequently,  camping less and running with shotgun more, my average K/D went from1.29 to 1.33 in a few days, average K/D was 4 when playing with XR500, I hope it is not a placebo effect :)

Just a random thought, I was wondering if Xbox switching to 10/100 during hibernation might has something to do with it? when it hibernate switch port will have amber light, when xbox is ON light would be white again and probably set to 1000....There was a bug with some cisco switches for a while, when they did not support duplex AUTO selection well, port on the blade configured to Auto duplex would randomly fail, fix was to configure duplex on the switch to 100/1000full. 

I called NG. It is impossible to get ahold of the level2 personal, I hope they are all working on this. They suppose to call me back 6pm, I would like to get status on my case and have cross correlation with other similar reports. How many same cases netgear needs to fix this issue, I think they already have debugging info?

• Administrators

I sent all the debug logs given to me to Netgear today so hopefully that will provide them with enough information but if you get some please do pass it on!

Awesome to hear that!

That's an interesting thought, I'll keep that in mind thank you! Yeah I sent it all today, plus whatever their support has managed to gather.

They called me today, around 6pm pacific...

Guy mentioned that there was similar case escalated to netgear tier 3, two days ago. I am going to submit supportive information today, Including debug logs, i will try to repro it once more, append diagrams and logs to my case, and control escalation to tier 3.