Random disconnects with wired connection

Okay so...it still disconnects. 

Came home today and while the wireless was working fine, my desktop was reportedly connected to an "unidentified network". 

Again, unplugging/replugging the power cable instantly solved it but it's certainly frustrating.

This is with most recent firmware, IPv6 disabled and a factory reset.

I had a similar issue on a similar router. Wired would disconnect but wireless was fine. By default my mtu was set to 1500. Try doing a ping test. My optimal mtu was actually 1444 +28= 1472. I haven't had a dissconect since. Worth a try anyway.

• Administrators

You've definitely got the issue I reported to Netgear, I asked them for an update yesterday. I couldn't get it much so strange that yours happens so much. Try the MTU and let us know. Otherwise would you be happy next week for Netgear engineers to access your PC/router overnight if I can get them to do so? 

Checked MTU but apparently it is already optimal according to the ping test and adding 28 (according to Netgear site).

Not sure if I want someone accessing my PC but I could send them my router logs etc if that will help? 

• Administrators

Checked MTU but apparently it is already optimal according to the ping test and adding 28 (according to Netgear site).

Not sure if I want someone accessing my PC but I could send them my router logs etc if that will help? 

Thanks - that would be helpful.

Just disconnected and have email you guys the entire log. Not sure how useful it will be but fingers crossed.

Email from the router didn't come through (guessing wrong SMTP on my end) but have thrown it into a .docx

• 2 weeks later...

Alright sounds good, appreciate you guys looking into this. 

I actually had spell where it didn't occur for almost a week but then happened three times today. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

It's still happening on occasion but today I noticed that my desktop had no connection (wired) whilst my roommates desktop (also wired) was working fine. 

• Administrators

Thanks for the update Achilles, I have heard back from the Netgear team. They've been unable to reproduce it (unsurprising as it is seemingly random). They've asked for a user to provide TeamViewer access once the issue has occurred so they can debug it. Would you be willing to help with this? 

Basically when the issue occurs just have TeamViewer running on a wireless PC that can access the interface & confirm that wired devices have no connection to the router. I think you're in the UK is that correct? In which case you'd have to leave it overnight for them to debug. 

I am experiencing the same issue and have only owned this router for 1 day now. It has the latest firmware loaded. What I see in the logs proceeding the wired connections dropping was DHCP was handing out new leases to those connections not that this is a cause but maybe an introduced bug to the latest patch. I rebooted both my modem and then the router and connections were restored.

Below is the only error message i have in the entire log and was in the same time frame that it dropped connections.

HTTP download failed with code '404', Wednesday, April 25, 2018 16:30:33

I using an Arris 8200 as my cable modem.

• Administrators

Thank you both for letting me know you're experiencing this as well. I'm talking directly with Netgear and hoping to get Achilles to provide TeamViewer when the issue occurs so they can debug directly. 

Fix at the moment is reboot/factory reset. We're working hard to make sure this gets resolved as quickly as possible.

I am experiencing the same issue and have only owned this router for 1 day now. It has the latest firmware loaded. What I see in the logs proceeding the wired connections dropping was DHCP was handing out new leases to those connections not that this is a cause but maybe an introduced bug to the latest patch. I rebooted both my modem and then the router and connections were restored.

Below is the only error message i have in the entire log and was in the same time frame that it dropped connections.

HTTP download failed with code '404', Wednesday, April 25, 2018 16:30:33

I using an Arris 8200 as my cable modem.

Based on your pattern it seems that Arris sb8200 dropped connection, in that case just reboot Arris, I used DHCP lease release/renew event on XR500 to monitor Airris disconnects, in your pattern you would loose wifi as well. Please create the case with Arris and internet provider.

Based on your pattern it seems that Arris sb8200 dropped connection, in that case just reboot Arris, I used DHCP lease release/renew event on XR500 to monitor Airris disconnects, in your pattern you would loose wifi as well. Please create the case with Arris and internet provider.

Thank you for the reply. If this was the issue with the arris then my iPad and other devices would have been offline also but they were up and connected to the internet. What made me think it was software related was the fact I was connected to the router and was configuring my geofilter when I went offline and I remember exactly what I was doing I selected strict mode in the geofilter then offline I went. I had a pc, iPad,Xbox and laptop online during this event and everything that was hardwired went offline. I did in fact check the arris logs and so no disconnects but who knows I will keep an eye on it since I am still getting use to this router and will provide more feedback if I find anything.

• Administrators

Thank you for the reply. If this was the issue with the arris then my iPad and other devices would have been offline also but they were up and connected to the internet. What made me think it was software related was the fact I was connected to the router and was configuring my geofilter when I went offline and I remember exactly what I was doing I selected strict mode in the geofilter then offline I went. I had a pc, iPad,Xbox and laptop online during this event and everything that was hardwired went offline. I did in fact check the arris logs and so no disconnects but who knows I will keep an eye on it since I am still getting use to this router and will provide more feedback if I find anything.

Also can you try disabling Auto QOS - so have it on Always or Never and see if that resolves the issue please.

Please try my suggestion here ^

I'm getting more information for Netgear developers as well.