Random disconnects with wired connection

Morning all. 

So I setup my router, I am currently on Sky Q. and have put address reservation in my Sky Q router and marked it as a DMZ. I connect my XR500 to Sky did the setup and it found a connection.. (Brilliant) I now have a disconnect issue every few mins on wired and wireless. 

can anyone suggest how to get round this. 

Help would be appreciated 

Thanks

Kevin 

Ps 

I have reset the Router after a firmware update seems to be running smoothly at the moment 

• Administrators

Hi Kevin - it shouldn't be disconnecting at all. Let us know how it performs now it appears to have settled.

One useful thing to do if it does disconnect, is to connect to your Sky router and check you can get Internet through there. That will show whether your whole Internet is down, or just your XR500.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
12 hours ago, deadbymorning said:

I am having wired disconnects on both my Xbox and iMac. Other than turning off instant-on (and I assume sleep on my iMac) is there a fix? I see mention of a different firmware. I am currently running V2.3.2.32.

There's a hotfix firmware NETGEAR made which might help. I'll PM it to you now.

10 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

There's a hotfix firmware NETGEAR made which might help. I'll PM it to you now.

May I also get this hotfix? I'm having the same issue as everyone else: random disconnects across the board on both wired and wireless connections. This is very frustrating considering I paid top dollar for this router only to have to reboot it every couple of hours. I am also running on V2.3.2.32. Its a great router, its just that this bug is a crucial one and should be getting a lot more attention from the devs.

One thing I noticed is that it seems to be an issue with the internet port. It will not detect the internet connection coming from my modem until I reboot it, unplug and plug the CAT6 cable back in from the modem into the router. It shows an orange LED for internet and cannot connect until I follow those steps, and then it goes back to a white light.

• Administrators

Hi - no problem, I will message you now. Have you raised a ticket with Netgear’s official support? This will help give your problem more help as it’s not something we can easily help with. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

As for the internet dropping out - do you mean this is happening after a factory reset? Or just in general? If it’s a factory reset then this is normal - you need to go through the boot up sequence to enable the Internet. But if it’s dropping out in general then this may be the cause. That sounds like it could be a problem with your modem / ISP. But get in touch with Netgear and they should be able to help. 

11 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi - no problem, I will message you now. Have you raised a ticket with Netgear’s official support? This will help give your problem more help as it’s not something we can easily help with. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

As for the internet dropping out - do you mean this is happening after a factory reset? Or just in general? If it’s a factory reset then this is normal - you need to go through the boot up sequence to enable the Internet. But if it’s dropping out in general then this may be the cause. That sounds like it could be a problem with your modem / ISP. But get in touch with Netgear and they should be able to help. 

Its happening in general. I'll reboot the router and all of a sudden it is no longer able to detect internet coming from my modem until I either reboot it again, or plug out and plug back in the ethernet cable. Right now its fine so I don't believe its my modem or ISP. Thank you for the beta firmware, I will also try getting in touch with Netgear's technical support to see if they are aware of this issue.

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for the extra info and yes, please do contact Netgear as they’ll be able to help. 

I've successfully installed the beta firmware, did a factory reset and all seems good so far. I'll come back in a day or two with an update on the status of my issue.

• Netduma Staff
6 hours ago, LastReaction said:

Two days into the beta firmware, and there are absolutely no problems so far. It seems like this firmware may have finally resolved the issue, but I will continue to post in this topic every two days with updates.

Fantastic, keep us updated but that sounds really promising :) 

Is there a fix for this, guys? My xr500 is also restarting itself for whatever reason. The things I have connected to it by wire are modem, samsung tv, and laptop. Not sure why it restarts itself.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tai N said:

Is there a fix for this, guys? My xr500 is also restarting itself for whatever reason. The things I have connected to it by wire are modem, samsung tv, and laptop. Not sure why it restarts itself.

Are you certain it's restarting and not dropping connections? How often does it occur? Is it random or does it appear to happen roughly the same time everyday etc? 

Hello, 

I'm getting wired LAN connections dropped from my xr500 but wireless stays up. It seems like this happens a bit after I turn off my xbox. A reboot of the router seems to resolve the issue until I turn off my xbox again. 

Running firmware 2.3.2.32

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Azuhero
Adding firmware version to post

• Administrators

Hi @Azuhero - this is a known issue with Xbox One's Instant-On mode. There are two workarounds:

1. Disable Instant On mode on your Xbox
  2. Do a full shutdown on your Xbox each time

I believe Microsoft are aware of this problem and are looking into it

• 4 weeks later...

Netduma Admins, 

I just got a XR500 last friday and have been following this forum closely as I am also experiencing issues where my LAN connected devices are disconnected the next day. Since I have been following this forum closely. I have done the following: 

1. Factory Reset my XR500

2. Made sure the latest firmware was installed. 

I have an xbox one x on my network with instant-on and I do have it enabled. I have not turned it off. I was hoping that the factory reset would fix the issue. I understand a couple months back debugging firmware was provided and for some it was stable and this issue did not occur. I figured that debugging firmware would not be needed since there have been several firmware upgrades since I have purchased this xr500. I plan to turn off instant-on this evening and see what happens, but wanted to check in to see if there was any fixes established by either netgear or xbox on this issue. 

If I could get the firmware that everybody else has that makes their connection stable that would be great. my firmware version is currently v2.3.2.40

Thanks!

• Administrators

Hi there - .40 is actually the latest firmware which includes all known stability fixes. 

However, the Xbox Instant-On has not been resolved by Microsoft / Netgear yet so you’ll need to set to disable this is it has been affecting you to avoid these dropouts. 

Hopefully everything runs smoothly for you after this. 

• 1 month later...

Please help. I have this exact same  issue.  I came to NetDuma today for solutions and was surprised there are many people with this same exact issue and no permanent solution / fix. I am currently running firmware version V2.3.2.40 and have rebooted and did all the bells and whistles in the previous posts with no luck. 

I have to reboot or unplug my Xr500 daily so my Ethernet connected devices can be detected otherwise they will remain offline in the network map in the device manager. My computer lost connection during use a few hours ago and wouldn't show online until the  route reboot phase. I lost faith in this router today. During that time, everything connected via WiFi was recognized and had a solid connection which baffles my brain. I used my phone to log into the router to check the status of my devices which always confirms the same exact issue. I  have had this XR500 since 12-23-18. Got it for myself for the holidays but it's been nothing but connection troubles and I am very unhappy at this moment with this product. Did I miss another post with a permanent fix? I need assistance or I am going to lose hope on this expensive piece of equipment as a brand. I need your expertise. 

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Spartyspar said:

Please help. I have this exact same  issue.  I came to NetDuma today for solutions and was surprised there are many people with this same exact issue and no permanent solution / fix. I am currently running firmware version V2.3.2.40 and have rebooted and did all the bells and whistles in the previous posts with no luck. 

I have to reboot or unplug my Xr500 daily so my Ethernet connected devices can be detected otherwise they will remain offline in the network map in the device manager. My computer lost connection during use a few hours ago and wouldn't show online until the  route reboot phase. I lost faith in this router today. During that time, everything connected via WiFi was recognized and had a solid connection which baffles my brain. I used my phone to log into the router to check the status of my devices which always confirms the same exact issue. I  have had this XR500 since 12-23-18. Got it for myself for the holidays but it's been nothing but connection troubles and I am very unhappy at this moment with this product. Did I miss another post with a permanent fix? I need assistance or I am going to lose hope on this expensive piece of equipment as a brand. I need your expertise. 

Hi, welcome to the forum! In your case I'd recommend downgrading to firmware version .32 to check if that resolves it. Our developers are aware of some cases appearing with this Device Manager problem. We're investigating it to find the cause, and as with all cases like this, if there is anything to fix it will be resolved in a future firmware release.

It's still early days for DumaOS; we'll be supporting it for years to come, so it will continue to become more stable and comprehensive. We'll try to keep you in the loop about when a new firmware version is available :) 

On 12/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, ebrousseau said:

Netduma Admins, 

I just got a XR500 last friday and have been following this forum closely as I am also experiencing issues where my LAN connected devices are disconnected the next day. Since I have been following this forum closely. I have done the following: 

1. Factory Reset my XR500

2. Made sure the latest firmware was installed. 

I have an xbox one x on my network with instant-on and I do have it enabled. I have not turned it off. I was hoping that the factory reset would fix the issue. I understand a couple months back debugging firmware was provided and for some it was stable and this issue did not occur. I figured that debugging firmware would not be needed since there have been several firmware upgrades since I have purchased this xr500. I plan to turn off instant-on this evening and see what happens, but wanted to check in to see if there was any fixes established by either netgear or xbox on this issue. 

If I could get the firmware that everybody else has that makes their connection stable that would be great. my firmware version is currently v2.3.2.40

Thanks!

On 12/27/2018 at 5:35 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there - .40 is actually the latest firmware which includes all known stability fixes. 

However, the Xbox Instant-On has not been resolved by Microsoft / Netgear yet so you’ll need to set to disable this is it has been affecting you to avoid these dropouts. 

Hopefully everything runs smoothly for you after this. 

This resolved the issue for me. I never turned instant on back on following the update to .40, but after disabling instant on, I was fine. I’m wandering if it has to do with the lease timer. I know an Xbox will look like you’re getting intruders on your log, because so many remote access attempts pop up (servers, players, etc). It may cut connections as a security. Idk, just a wild theory. If you do not have an xbox, every console has a sleep mode, which is the same as leaving an Xbox in instant on. Do a full shut down every time you turn the system off. See if that works. Good luck!