Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Random disconnects with wired connection

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

Achilles

Achilles

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local time: 01:05 PM

Noticed my XR500 has randomly lost connection for wired devices at random times. Wireless will remain working. 

After a quick unplug of the power cable it was instantly fixed but it seems weird to randomly turn off like that. 

Not sure what the issue is, other than that I've had no issues. 

Side note, is there a reset function on the DumaOS? I can't seem to see or find one anywhere. 

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Yes factory reset is in Settings > Administration > Backup Settings, just click erase. I'd recommend that and monitor whether you keep getting disconnects. Anything specific you're doing on the internet at the time?

Do you use IPv6 or PPPoE? 

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Achilles

Achilles

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Sorry I wasn't clear, I don't mean factory reset I mean rebooting. [Found it now]

I'm not doing anything specific, usually watching a video or go to maybe load up a new tab when suddenly everything dies on me. 

Connection type under the IPv6 tab is on auto right now but IPv6 is enabled. Right now DHCP is under my connection type under system info. 

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Disable IPv6 & factory reset and then continue to monitor to see if you experience it again please

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

xAngryNeilx

xAngryNeilx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I have the same problem on my XR500, it disconnects my wired connections and uses Wi Fi. Only started Saturday, happened three times now. Only way to correct it is to switch off/on

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

I have the same problem on my XR500, it disconnects my wired connections and uses Wi Fi. Only started Saturday, happened three times now. Only way to correct it is to switch off/on

Please do a factory reset, that should resolve the issue.

Time Converter

Toxic Smoggie

Toxic Smoggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Getting the same exact issue as above, have noticed it twice so far today (once this morning and once tonight) both occurrences have happened when the internet hasn't been used for a while, not noticed it when I've been using the internet through a wired device (Xbox or Laptop) but a reboot sorts it out.

Strange thing is, is that I can still access the internet through my laptop even when I've not rebooted the XR500, as I've got the XR500 connected to a BT Smart Hub, its giving me an internal ip address if I was directly connected to the Smart Hub and not connected to the XR500.

I'll do a factory reset though and see if it continues.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Getting the same exact issue as above, have noticed it twice so far today (once this morning and once tonight) both occurrences have happened when the internet hasn't been used for a while, not noticed it when I've been using the internet through a wired device (Xbox or Laptop) but a reboot sorts it out.

Strange thing is, is that I can still access the internet through my laptop even when I've not rebooted the XR500, as I've got the XR500 connected to a BT Smart Hub, its giving me an internal ip address if I was directly connected to the Smart Hub and not connected to the XR500.

I'll do a factory reset though and see if it continues.

Please upgrade to this latest firmware first: http://forum.netduma...ailable-v22110/then do a factory reset and continue to monitor. 

Time Converter

Achilles

Achilles

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Is IPv6 not suggested? 

I'll download the new firmware and see if anything changes. 

Toxic Smoggie

Toxic Smoggie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Updated the firmware, done a factory reset, switched the Xbox on this morning and no internet to the Xbox via Ethernet but my phone which is connected wireless was.

Don't have to sign into the internet using PPOE on the XR500 as the XR500 is connected to the BT Smart Hub

pollutionblues

pollutionblues

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationOuter Hebrides

Updated the firmware, done a factory reset, switched the Xbox on this morning and no internet to the Xbox via Ethernet but my phone which is connected wireless was.
Don't have to sign into the internet using PPOE on the XR500 as the XR500 is connected to the BT Smart Hub

Go to Settings > Internet Setup, under Connection Mode does it say Dial on Demand? If it does change it to Always On.
The family that slays together stays together

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,690 posts

I'd recommend trying the suggestion above. Please let us know how it goes :)

Technical support:

Fine tuning guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc.
FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.
Wiki - Main link to the Wiki, for everything else please search here or on the forum.
Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Is IPv6 not suggested? 

I'll download the new firmware and see if anything changes. 

No I would recommend disabling for optimum performance.

In future can you make your own topic please as it's confusing to support two people in one topic.

Do other devices have internet via ethernet or is it just the Xbox? 

Try what blues suggested please.

Time Converter

Achilles

Achilles

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

How do you disable IPv6? Not seeing a clear option like the R1 had. 

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

How do you disable IPv6? Not seeing a clear option like the R1 had. 

It's in Settings > Advanced Settings > IPv6

Time Converter

Achilles

Achilles

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

It's in Settings > Advanced Settings > IPv6

I found that but there was no clear cut on/off from what I could see. What option should I be setting it to?

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

I found that but there was no clear cut on/off from what I could see. What option should I be setting it to?

Click Disabled, then click apply

Time Converter

Achilles

Achilles

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Click Disabled, then click apply

I must be blind, I don't see a disabled option anywhere. 

EDIT: Nevermind found it, didn't realise it was under connection type. 

Firmware is updated and IPv6 is disabled. I'll monitor everything and see how it goes.

Curious though, why should IPv6 be disabled? 

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 630 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

I must be blind, I don't see a disabled option anywhere. 

EDIT: Nevermind found it, didn't realise it was under connection type. 

Firmware is updated and IPv6 is disabled. I'll monitor everything and see how it goes.

Curious though, why should IPv6 be disabled? 

It can confuse some features, e.g. QoS, so best to disable and use IPv4 if you're having issues to play safe

xolhid

xolhid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 AM

if IPv6 isn't fully supported, then why is it even an option? shouldn't these issues have been worked out before releasing the ability to use it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users