make sure your QoS bandwidth is set correctly

just facepalmed myself over this silly mistake

I had been playing around with my BT Openreach HF612 (unlocked) modem at the same time I had just got my XR500.

What i hadn't remembered was, that when powering down and up the modem , this causes a temporary DLM to occur. This temp reduces your broadband speed until it re-syncs at the exchange.

I totally forgot about this and so when setting up my router, I didn't enter the correct broadband speed settings. Because you only do this once, its easy to forget you even did it!

So, i entered the wrong values for my broadband, i put 60 DL and 9 UL (which is what i was getting from a speedtest, but was wrong because i was getting DLM'd)

(what i should have been getting , was 78 DL and 13 UL)

So make sure your settings are correct and don't make the same mistake i did lol!!

if your not sure, just set your settings on the XR500 (go into Qos then click the three little lines to open the bandwidth values) set them to way more than you should, then do a speed-test and record your correct values. then put those back into the Qos settings and your all set.

bandwidth.jpg

Great tip! Alternately if you do the setup wizard it will run a speed test and put your bandwidth speeds into Anti-Bufferbloat automatically!

i was afraid to do that in case it cleared all my already manually entered settings lol  (i set the router up "manually" from the start)

if i was to set it to YES do the setup wizard, what happens exactly ? does it just do a speedtest and then stop for the user to proceed ?

cheers

That’s what I did just let the router do it when no one was home to be accurate,though wired into my Draytek Vigor 130 this morning and performing bt whosale test I was getting 76 meg,also got an 80.36 lol...bit dubious as the vigor is synced at 77 heap of junk not at 80, so always best to perform a wired test and the router set up was good @72.3 and 17.4 ,it’s accurate I would say.

• Administrators

i was afraid to do that in case it cleared all my already manually entered settings lol  (i set the router up "manually" from the start)

if i was to set it to YES do the setup wizard, what happens exactly ? does it just do a speedtest and then stop for the user to proceed ?

cheers

Sets up interface password & WiFi, that's it really that you change. Don't think it will change any of your other existing settings.

That’s what I did just let the router do it when no one was home to be accurate,though wired into my Draytek Vigor 130 this morning and performing bt whosale test I was getting 76 meg,also got an 80.36 lol...bit dubious as the vigor is synced at 77 heap of junk not at 80, so always best to perform a wired test and the router set up was good @72.3 and 17.4 ,it’s accurate I would say.

i bought a new Vigor 130 thinking i would get better speeds...nope!

turns out ... if your on a Huawei BT Cabinet your best modem is the HG612 Openreach as it has a more compatible "Huawei" chip-set. The vigor has the "lantiq" chipset and works better on ECI BT cabinets...

will be chucking it on fleabay real soon

i bought a new Vigor 130 thinking i would get better speeds...nope!

turns out ... if your on a Huawei BT Cabinet your best modem is the HG612 Openreach as it has a more compatible "Huawei" chip-set. The vigor has the "lantiq" chipset and works better on ECI BT cabinets...

will be chucking it on fleabay real soon

Yep,that’s why I got it as on ECI strange the down not @79999 up is ok @ 19999 ,I work away for 3 weeks at time so nothing to do with DC ,I’ve got two ECI openreach modems in garage so may change it back when I do up game room.trouble is can’t see the stats