What headset do YOU use?

Tai N

What headsets do you console gamers use? I'm looking for one strictly for cod games tbh since that's the only series I play besides monster hunter world. I've heard of the astro & turtle beach, what are your experiences with them or do you not use those brands? Which one do you have?

Looking to buy a new headset for my ps4 pro console. I often hear console headsets do not have good mic or sound quality when plugged into pc and vice versa.

I have the old turtle beach stealth 520 discontinued by turtle beach I believe - Mic quality is good, but I don't feel I'm getting as much potential as I can for sound quality. Not sure if all turtle beach have the super human hearing, but this one does so you can hear footsteps somewhat better, but meh this is the old version headset.

I swear by the Turtle Beach Elite Pro with TAC - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8019684

This is the best £250 spent and i bought this as soon as it came out. I now see all the big competitions use these. As i sit at my desk and play my PS4/Xbox on 1 monitor, this headset allows me to connect the TAC (mixer box) upto the PS4 and Xbox and my PC so i can listen/watch Twitch etc whilst gaming on console and i receive both audio at the same time. 

The TAC is connected to my PC via USB to allow me to use the mic on my headset for my PC at the same time as playing on the console if i so wish. If this headset breaks, i would immediately go and buy a new one tomorrow. 

The headset also is great for glasses wearers as if you remove the ear cups, there is a tab you can lock into position that makes an indent in the earcups to allow for your glasses arms. No more squashing of the glasses arms into your face!

Astro mixamp using a selection audiophile headphones and a modmic.

QFT ;) if you buy Astros you're better off setting the headset to one side or selling it on. Can't beat the sound of quality headphones through the mixamp. Some cheapo stereo cans would be better than the A40/A50, and decent clip on mics can be picked up cheap too.

I have a few headsets for gaming, never been a huge fan of so called "gaming headsets" as they are way overpriced and are of lower quality than true audiophile  headsets.

I have Sennheiser HD 598

Sennheiser HD 650

Sennheiser PC 360 (only gaming headset I own and really like)

Beyerdynamic DT 880 and DT 990

Audio - Technica AD700 ( might be my favorite for gaming as the soundstage is HUGE IMO )

Phillips Fidelio X

And both AntLion ModMic and the Labtec LVA 7330,I prefer the Modmic but both are great as an add on mic to a truly audiophile set of cans.

I have a few headsets for gaming, never been a huge fan of so called "gaming headsets" as they are way overpriced and are of lower quality than true audiophile  headsets.

I have Sennheiser HD 598

Sennheiser HD 650

Sennheiser PC 360 (only gaming headset I own and really like)

Beyerdynamic DT 880 and DT 990

Audio - Technica AD700 ( might be my favorite for gaming as the soundstage is HUGE IMO )

Phillips Fidelio X

And both AntLion ModMic and the Labtec LVA 7330,I prefer the Modmic but both are great as an add on mic to a truly audiophile set of cans.

I did not know you were into head-fi fuzzy, some nice sets there :)

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Studio Headphones & Creative Sound BlasterX G5 7.1 Headphone Surround HD Audio External Sound Card with Headphone Amplifier for Windows PC / Mac / PS4 / and Other Consoles is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JUPY3A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Astro a40 with the mixamp

Do not go wireless

Make sure it's 7.1 surround sound, not stereo sound that plugs into your controller.

If you're on PC these are awesome...

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ

Is this the correct one you are talking about? I decided I wanted to get these. It was a difficult decision on either this or turtle beach elite pro with tac! Is there anything else I need to get when buying these? Also can you give me specific instructions for the don't go wireless thing? I've never used a mix amp before. I've kind of been living under a rock.

https://www.astrogaming.com/shop/headsets/A40-MIXAMP-TR-PS4-ASTRO-BLACK-STANDARD.html?psids=A40-MIXAMP-TR-PS4-ASTRO-BLACK-STANDARD%2CMOD-KIT%2CA40-TAGS#start=1

Is this the correct one you are talking about? I decided I wanted to get these. It was a difficult decision on either this or turtle beach elite pro with tac! Is there anything else I need to get when buying these? Also can you give me specific instructions for the don't go wireless thing? I've never used a mix amp before. I've kind of been living under a rock.

Which did you get?

Which did you get?

Oops, forgot to include the link in last post. Is this the correct one and do I need to get anything else to go wired and not wireless?

https://www.astrogaming.com/shop/headsets/A40-MIXAMP-TR-PS4-ASTRO-BLACK-STANDARD.html?psids=A40-MIXAMP-TR-PS4-ASTRO-BLACK-STANDARD%2CMOD-KIT%2CA40-TAGS#start=1

Oops, forgot to include the link in last post. Is this the correct one and do I need to get anything else to go wired and not wireless?

Nope just USB from the mix amp to the console, and then optical out from the console to the mix amp

Then make sure the console settings are right. It should come with a rather simple quick start guide of what to do

I did not know you were into head-fi fuzzy, some nice sets there :)

Yeah I around head-fi when MLE actually started writing the review of gaming headsets,damn that was awhile ago... :D

But yeah I've been thru a few sets of cans over the last 10 plus years or so.Some blew my mind and other ones were complete letdowns.

I wish they still sold AD700s new. I'm very wary of buying stuff second hand but they've been rated as possibly the best possible headphones for gaming sound many times so I'm salty :(

They came out with the AD700x I believe awhile back,I personally never owned them or used them but have heard that they are definitely not what the OG 700's were.And I can honestly say they are probably my favorite set of cans for gaming, sure I've owned more expensive ones but you really have to game with the AD700's to get the full feel of how good they are.

Mixamp for Ps3 and Mixamp TR for Ps4 pro. AD700 for the headset with a mod mic when needed. Bought in 2009 and still going strong. Tried a few others including Astros but always back to Ad700. Might look odd to start with but you can where them indefinitely.

• 4 weeks later...