GeoFilter: how does it work exactly?

Hi,

I’m looking for a new router, and I’ve read about the Netgear XR500 and its GeoFilter feature. I’m just a bit confused, I’m not sure if I understand it perfectly.

Does GeoFilter filter the available servers and hosts or does it filter the players? I mean I play TC’s R6S, and there’s no player hosting, just the server, and just one: WEU (Western Europe). It’s perfect for me, I don’t want to change it, but it’s unfair playing against players, who are also connected to this WEU server from far away, therefore with high pings, I mean really high. So GeoFilter can filter these players, and let me play against only players who are in a selected area, or GeoFilter can filter only the servers? The first would be great, but the second is unnecessary for me (right now).

Thanks for your help!

The Geo Filter finds game servers and host's in your pre-defined radius on the world map. Any servers or hosts outside that radius will not be allowed to place you in their hosted game. It cannot stop a player in guinea joining a server you are in for example.

Howver that player in Guniea you can see on your world map and block him so future games wont put you in a game hes already in for instance.

• Netduma Staff

Hi,

I’m looking for a new router, and I’ve read about the Netgear XR500 and its GeoFilter feature. I’m just a bit confused, I’m not sure if I understand it perfectly.

Does GeoFilter filter the available servers and hosts or does it filter the players? I mean I play TC’s R6S, and there’s no player hosting, just the server, and just one: WEU (Western Europe). It’s perfect for me, I don’t want to change it, but it’s unfair playing against players, who are also connected to this WEU server from far away, therefore with high pings, I mean really high. So GeoFilter can filter these players, and let me play against only players who are in a selected area, or GeoFilter can filter only the servers? The first would be great, but the second is unnecessary for me (right now).

Thanks for your help!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Big Dog is correct - the Geo-Filter cannot block players from joining your game. This would be unfair for anyone who doesn't have a Geo-Filter, and we don't think can be allowed to happen with any router since it would ruin the gaming experience of other players.

The Geo-Filter is the only feature in the world which allows you to control which host you connect to. You can also do as Big Dog said above - blocking other laggy players to prevent yourself from connecting to games with them in the future (but not preventing them from connecting to games).

I hope this answers your question! Please let us know if you have anything else to ask, we're happy to help :)