What is skiped spike rtt in xr500 router log?

• Administrators

I’ll need to ask the devs on this one, but I do know it won’t be anything to be worried about. We’ll get back to you tomorrow!

• Netduma Staff

Ok thank. So it is not a lag spike or anything like that right?

I don't believe it will be no. If you want to test for lag spikes the best way to do this is through PingPlotter testing. Personally I would ignore the system log - many entries in there could seem negative when they actually aren't! Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• 1 month later...

I have been receiving this "skiped spike rrt" about once or more every two weeks. Each time it comes up I get very laggy games on dedicated servers that I usually have the best gameplay on. I don't quite believe that "it's just something for the dev's to worry about", especially after seeing the location of players in the lobby relative to the server in comparison to my location. Could you at least briefly tell me what it is? You can be as technical as you want, I would just like to know what it is at least.

• Administrators

I have been receiving this "skiped spike rrt" about once or more every two weeks. Each time it comes up I get very laggy games on dedicated servers that I usually have the best gameplay on. I don't quite believe that "it's just something for the dev's to worry about", especially after seeing the location of players in the lobby relative to the server in comparison to my location. Could you at least briefly tell me what it is? You can be as technical as you want, I would just like to know what it is at least.

I asked the developers again today it is just a remnant of our debug logging. When you are programming, engineers will generally leave comments to help with debugging. This is an example of one of these. We just forgot to remove it from the logs. It literally has nothing to do with your connection so you can ignore it.

In general, unless you have an actual bug, it's wise to not read anything into the log file otherwise you'll fall into the trap of mis-attributing an issue into a completely unrelated log.

As for the spikes - did the Geo-Filter show a ping spike? It's probably the server just being inconsistent, but would be good to verify.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it shows an increase in ping for the duration of the game while also showing "skiped spike rrt" in the logs. It just happened again tonight, and on the server where I typically have the lower ping. I just logged off and for about the last 7 minutes it showed "skiped spike rrt" in my logs, the exact same time I was connected in the laggy game.

• Administrators

Yes, it shows an increase in ping for the duration of the game while also showing "skiped spike rrt" in the logs. It just happened again tonight, and on the server where I typically have the lower ping. I just logged off and for about the last 7 minutes it showed "skiped spike rrt" in my logs, the exact same time I was connected in the laggy game.

I can't add anymore to this as devs have given their feedback. How big is the increase in ping when this happens?

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, i appreciate the advice in helping solve this. It could be server inconsistencies as mentioned, but its oddly consistent:

The in game ping would go from 30-35ms at times and spike up to 80-100ms on the chart. What is odd is that after it spikes the ping plot will disappear, the server location on the geofilter will disappear, and there will be no information on the host on the map (as typically evident by the icons, or even having the ping plot)."Skiped spike rrt" would also show in the logs at the same time this occurred, but I do not know if it disappears before or after skiped spike shows up. This behavior is oddly consistent, but where it becomes inconsistent is when it shows a dedicated server in Belgium as the host. When it shows the Belgium server, it gives me a suspiciously low ping (35ms), and it spikes up to 100-150ms on every gunfight, but the ping graph never disappears, and skiped spike shows up again in the logs.

Edit: When i mentioned it shows a ping spike for the duration of the game in my last post, i meant to say the ping spikes were consistent. Not necessarily that the ping was elevated the entire game.

Keep in mind, I am located in the mid-western United States. I have all wifi devices turned off and unplugged, I have QoS enabled (which was rigorously tested at dslreports.com, tuned to best anti-bufferbloat settings I could get).

I've taught myself quite a bit about optimization of my internet connection for gaming, but I don't want to think I've learned it all. Perhaps I could talk one-on-one with an individual with your team and review my settings to see if there's anything else I could optimize?

• 9 months later...

I’m not sure if it’s rude or not to comment on someone elses post when you’re having a very similar issue or if I should create my own thread bc it could deflect the focus from the post creator or interfere with thier problem being fully resolved. 

So, please let me know now!? 😬 just trying to be kosher.. here.

But these skiped spike rtt’s, I’m getting 10-20 at time here. After a laggy local game, I was checking everything out to see if a type of dos attack was presented, and my log was flooded with these. I haven’t ever noticed these or seen them until today and as Im typing this a “dos attack: syn/ack scan from the same source that’s been popping up a lot here lately just appeared. 

So, I’m guessing just another developer thing? But, obviously that’s not what I’m thinking.. please assist me in the right direction 

Edit: I posted this in my thread as it may pertain to the DOS attack thread I created here DOS attacks .. I was initially looking for feedback about the spikes until the DOS Attack appeared.

• Administrators
On 3/3/2019 at 1:19 AM, Zaroo said:

I’m not sure if it’s rude or not to comment on someone elses post when you’re having a very similar issue or if I should create my own thread bc it could deflect the focus from the post creator or interfere with thier problem being fully resolved. 

So, please let me know now!? 😬 just trying to be kosher.. here.

But these skiped spike rtt’s, I’m getting 10-20 at time here. After a laggy local game, I was checking everything out to see if a type of dos attack was presented, and my log was flooded with these. I haven’t ever noticed these or seen them until today and as Im typing this a “dos attack: syn/ack scan from the same source that’s been popping up a lot here lately just appeared. 

So, I’m guessing just another developer thing? But, obviously that’s not what I’m thinking.. please assist me in the right direction 

Edit: I posted this in my thread as it may pertain to the DOS attack thread I created here DOS attacks .. I was initially looking for feedback about the spikes until the DOS Attack appeared.

Nothing wrong with bumping an older thread if it's related to the topic you're discussing. In fact it's much better for us, as I could scroll back and see what we had said on this in the past.

But yes, really don't worry about this log message. Truly not related to any lag you might have had in game. And the DoS attacks are a really common report in the log files on NETGEAR routers, 99% of the time it's just Internet white noise and your router doing its job. Google the messages if you want to see it being discussed on NETGEAR's forums