Is ping really king for COD?

demonchine

• Netduma Staff

To my closest COD server.

My ping to Google is low (approx 20ms).That's because my "ping 8.8.8.8" requests, hit a server very close to me according to Google Edge Points of Presense.(The map is here).

That's why I believe an Internet Diagnosis Test based on 8.8.8.8 is not always accurate.

You're right that the Internet Diagnostics test isn't always accurate - the best way to test ping is always through Pingplotter since you can dictate which URL is being pinged. Choosing a local (national) news website or Twitter.com if you're in America works really well :)

Ping ain't king for me atleast. A 300 mile server from my home in Toronto with a 15 ms ping bites yet a dedi in Florida with a 55 ms allows me to melt most players. Thank goodness netduma allows me the option to ban and reset my locale.

I wish we could allow or deny servers for this reason. Combined with the filter radius and ping assist meter, it would allow us unprecedented control over our gameplay. I live within 200 miles of three server banks (London, Netherlands/Belgium and France) and get 7, 12 and 13ms latency on average respectively, but in recent CoDs they've often offered the worst possible experience. On the other hand 30ms to Spain or Italy, or 40ms to Poland, have resulted in really enjoyable, smooth, responsive games where I'm not clearly behind the action as some high latency player moves ahead of where I see him, leading to wonky/stuck aim assist force fields or audibly delayed hitmarkers despite the extremely low latency I get to my three local servers. The Danish server has been good at around 28ms too.

The problem is that, in order to allow the Danish, Italian and Polish servers into my radius for example, I'd also have the keep the German server in there, and that gives me a "less desirable" 20ms. You can temp ban it but because those other three servers - especially the Danish and Polish ones - are rarely populated even in TDM (and even back when IW was only a few months into its first year), it'll take so long to find a lobby that the five minute ban time just isn't enough and I'll end up on the German server.

In the end I'm forced to just revert back to "optimal" settings for low ping games, and then I have to leave every 10-25 games just to find a game that feels like I'm on 7-13ms. Most games feel out of sync or as though I'm dropping packets, which isn't the case at all...