Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting an A but not an A+ on DSLReports?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 PM
  • LocationNear Manchester

As Zennon said above do the PingPlotter test to see if Anti-Bufferbloat is working or not. Are you actually getting lag or just hit detection? Have you moved your Geo-Filter to force a different server?

I ran a pingplotter with sliders at 70 and started a movie stream and graph was fine, just the usually 2-3ms increase.....so I have put my xr in AP mode behind my R1, connected my xbox to R1 set geo location and had some great games. Zennon was on for a few of them and i got a 38-6 score on 1 of my games. I am at a loss to what it is as my gaming experience was totally different to what it was on the XR...........could it be the hotfix version on my XR?

SzMsO7f.gif   x0ahK7Dt.jpg

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
https://share.pingpl...PJkWS9CSMsT.png

thats what i get with QoS on with a 2 4k videos running in the background with pingplotter

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

I ran a pingplotter with sliders at 70 and started a movie stream and graph was fine, just the usually 2-3ms increase.....so I have put my xr in AP mode behind my R1, connected my xbox to R1 set geo location and had some great games. Zennon was on for a few of them and i got a 38-6 score on 1 of my games. I am at a loss to what it is as my gaming experience was totally different to what it was on the XR...........could it be the hotfix version on my XR?

Yeah that just reiterates the point that just because you get a certain grade on DSLReports doesn't mean it's not working. Sounds like it's working optimally. No the hotfix shouldn't affect that at all. Are you getting the same ping as shown by the Geo-Filter on both? If so then there is no reason the XR500 would give a worse experience than the R1.

https://share.pingpl...PJkWS9CSMsT.png

thats what i get with QoS on with a 2 4k videos running in the background with pingplotter

QoS is definitely working otherwise it would have been much worse but there are some small spikes there. It may be that setting to 70% is either too much or too little. Experiment with the percentages to find one that minimises the spikes as much as possible.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts

Yeah that just reiterates the point that just because you get a certain grade on DSLReports doesn't mean it's not working. Sounds like it's working optimally. No the hotfix shouldn't affect that at all. Are you getting the same ping as shown by the Geo-Filter on both? If so then there is no reason the XR500 would give a worse experience than the R1.

The ping is the same 10 - 12ms when it pings a server. I know what you are saying and you are right, but my experience is different. I am going to play a few games now it is peak time but I am on the same ISP as zennon and hes said they are not prone to network congestion. 

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

The ping is the same 10 - 12ms when it pings a server. I know what you are saying and you are right, but my experience is different. I am going to play a few games now it is peak time but I am on the same ISP as zennon and hes said they are not prone to network congestion. 

Okay, that or the server you're playing on is the only conclusion of why your experience is not as good. ISP congestion will always be worse during peak times as well. 

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

pollutionblues

pollutionblues

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationOuter Hebrides
I’ve found that if I start getting games with bad hit detection quitting and restarting WWII sorts it out.
The family that slays together stays together

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

https://share.pingpl...com/G2zuqJQ3kUythat is with 60% on both 2 4k videos watching and streaming to a PRIVATE stream on youtube via the PC and gaming on the ps4 and listening to Spotify

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

https://share.pingpl...com/G2zuqJQ3kUythat is with 60% on both 2 4k videos watching and streaming to a PRIVATE stream on youtube via the PC and gaming on the ps4 and listening to Spotify

That's great, looks like it's heading in the right direction, try a little bit lower and see how it goes.

Time Converter

simjc

simjc

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

FYI - That hop 4, is what I am getting on BT Infinity also. I've got the unlimited version of pingplotter at the moment, and have switched it from ping (incase the BT entry point was ignoring pings) and switch to TCP, and I still get it. Was thinking maybe cable from modem to wall socket; but now looking at yours, I am thinking this a BT typical issue. Would love to know other BT Infinity user experiences and thoughts.

Buster

Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

FYI - That hop 4, is what I am getting on BT Infinity also. I've got the unlimited version of pingplotter at the moment, and have switched it from ping (incase the BT entry point was ignoring pings) and switch to TCP, and I still get it. Was thinking maybe cable from modem to wall socket; but now looking at yours, I am thinking this a BT typical issue. Would love to know other BT Infinity user experiences and thoughts.

i get the exact same thing 

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

hi sim

that's why i asked you on twitter about different modem/router as i thought it could be the homehub 6? as i have all new ethernet cables 6e and they are all less than 1 metre in length. with a new face plate on the wall to.

simjc

simjc

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

i get the exact same thing 

I understand that this may be a BT firewall issue; when the firewall does a check, you get that latency.

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

1520887232-U16903.png1520887462-U16903.png

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Looks like that's really good but did you apply QoS when that spike occurred? 

Time Converter

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

thats the sliders both set at 58% with all my streaming gear running and watching 2 4k movies and a 1080 60FPS stream and uploading 1080p 60fps to youtube. i cant cant any better than this. i have set my radius to 300 miles due to me not wanting to connect to the swiss servers as they are all over the place

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Looks like that's really good but did you apply QoS when that spike occurred? 

i reset the test. thats why the large spike at the beginning 

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Ahh that's understandable then. That's a fantastic ping! Great to hear you've now found the perfect settings for you.

Just for anyone else following the topic, 70% is a guideline but we do encourage you to experiment to find what works for your connection!

Time Converter

flexingjohn

flexingjohn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

thankyou for the help 

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts

Ok, I have done 2 PP tests, 1 with R1 and ! with XR500. Both have 1 spike during a game which i think is to be expected unless I am corrected, otherwise they are identical as I have been stating all along......however.......2 things have changed....1.....I thought XR500 auto prioritized my gaming packets but zennon told me to disable classified games and create 1 just for my xbox (in a pic and the other is I changed firmware to 2.1.0.4 instead of running the hotfix since I have had on the XR500 since I first got it.......now I am getting proper hit detection like I was getting on the R1.

9CogVROl.jpg OxpGZ0Ol.png

RlufaK1l.jpg

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Auto & manual Traffic Prio will be the same but glad that you've found a solution to what you were facing. The one I gave you won't be public as we are actually going past that in firmware so I'd encourage you to try that out when it is available

Time Converter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users