Many problems with XR500 Router

Having received the unit yesterday - I spend some time setting it up.

I work in IT (Have some knowledge of networking but I am not an network engineer), have quite a lot of Devices below is a list of the issues I have faced so far:-

2 x DVR's for CCTV one is on the end of a power-line adaptor (one works OK but not as fast as it was on my old V6300V2 Netgear Router but the one on the end of the power-line just fails to connect with a NAT status of connecting rather than connected.

Hive hub would not work 

Hue hub was working and then stopped all together 

Windows 2016 Server is slow and will not connect to NTP servers or even run a SpeedTest.net test whilst other devices on my network seem OK but maybe a little slower than normal.  Its running HyperV and has a pair NIC configuration but everything was working on the old router.

Ring Doorbell has worked throughout however the Chrime will not connect to the wifi of the XR500 at all ?  It works OK on another AP I have running though.

Amazon Echo Devices (I have 5 setup at the moment) all seem to work OK once they have seen the new Wifi

Other issues are that the ACL For WiFi keeps disappearing I have over 20 devices on there and have entered the details about 5 times now but the settings just disappear!

I have pretty much given up on the XR500 as its got too many issues on my network at the moment.  Having switch back to the Netgear V6300V2 everything just works again so it can only be the router !

Not only that but I was expecting to see a big improvement on Wifi Coverage but this is not at all the case unfortunately.

I have set the same setting where I can from the old router :-

Disable IGMP Proxy

NAT Filtering is Secured but I have also tried Open (made no difference on the XR500

Disabled SIP ALG (it works with or with out this on the old router

RIP Direction is both

RIP Version is disabled

IPV6 disabled

ACL is also setup on the old router and works perfectly (well after Netgear fixed it in the latest firmware)

I did manage to get things working with Hive, Hue and one of the cameras by resetting the router to factory default and starting again but there are still too many issues for me to be able to continue using it at the moment :(

I have noticed that some of the devices I know are my network and live show as offline.

I see that other have been having issues so if anyone can help with this it would be very much appreciated.  

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! Not to worry, let's get to the bottom of these issues.

So first of all, it's worth saying that the XR500 is more powerful than the V6300V2, and is highly tested. It's very likely in this case that your issues can be solved through configuration, so with some tweaking I'm more than confident you can get your network up and running on the XR500.

One question before we get started - are you using a new SSID and password or have you mimicked the old one?

I would also highly recommend contacting Netgear support in this case as well - their 24/7 support is excellent and I'm sure they could give you great insight into the hardware / any WiFi issues as well.

"I would also highly recommend contacting Netgear support in this case as well - their 24/7 support is excellent"

no disrespect, but i would have to disagree with that. I have posted my WOL issue with them on Monday... and i am still waiting on a reply.

You guys on here provide a much faster response and a much more knowledgeable one !

thanks God u guys are here !  ;) 

• Administrators

Hi breadloaf, welcome to the forum! Technically we are not the official support channel but we try to help everyone as we developed the software (Netgear developed the settings portion though) so we're very happy to support our R-Apps and where possible the general router settings. 

I would however recommend you to call Netgears support line - it's 24/7 and English speaking as well so you will get a great level of service. If you go here: https://www.netgear.com/support/and login it should give you a number to call. I will however answer what I can:

If you're experiencing slow downs on devices ensure that on the QoS page under Anti-Bufferbloat you have given it the max speeds you receive from your ISP in the 3 line menu. Then set Anti-Bufferbloat to apply 'Always', then recommend setting both download/upload sliders to 70%. Also disable Traffic Prioritization as well just in case that is affecting your devices in an adverse way. 

Regarding the WiFi Access Card List, we have already submitted that as a bug to Netgear so they are aware of it. 

The offline devices when connected behind an AP we have already figured out the cause. It's only an aesthetic issue on the device manager. The devices should still behave the same on the R-Apps.

Thanks for all the comments and help so far

I have contacted Netgear Support Via chat - they have escalated the issues I am facing to the next level support line

I have change the settings on the router as suggested but still have issues

One of the main things that that my CCTV cameras disconnect after a few seconds which was never the case with me old router.

Support were helpful but only really ran few a number of simple tasks, firmware upgrade even though the interface said I was on the latest one plus factory reset.

At the moment I will have to swap back to my old router as the XR500 is just not working for me at the moment 

I hope they fix things soon though 

Cheers

Breadloaf

Will do,

I also have another issue since upgrading the firmware - Chrome will no longer work with the router ?

I just get a spinning white circle - seems to work OK with IE (running Server 2016)

Anyone else having this issue ?

Breadloaf

• Administrators

I did that already but after a reboot and clearing the cache again it seems to working again now.

Thanks 

Breadloaf

Thanks for letting us know, we already have a fix for it in the next firmware so it will not happen again.

Hi breadloaf, welcome to the forum! Technically we are not the official support channel but we try to help everyone as we developed the software (Netgear developed the settings portion though) so we're very happy to support our R-Apps and where possible the general router settings. 

I would however recommend you to call Netgears support line - it's 24/7 and English speaking as well so you will get a great level of service. If you go here: https://www.netgear.com/support/and login it should give you a number to call. I will however answer what I can:

If you're experiencing slow downs on devices ensure that on the QoS page under Anti-Bufferbloat you have given it the max speeds you receive from your ISP in the 3 line menu. Then set Anti-Bufferbloat to apply 'Always', then recommend setting both download/upload sliders to 70%. Also disable Traffic Prioritization as well just in case that is affecting your devices in an adverse way. 

Regarding the WiFi Access Card List, we have already submitted that as a bug to Netgear so they are aware of it. 

The offline devices when connected behind an AP we have already figured out the cause. It's only an aesthetic issue on the device manager. The devices should still behave the same on the R-Apps.

could you tell me if the xr 500 has ping assist yet the last time i checked it didn't have it