Upnp problem

Got my xr500 yesterday, set up and noticed no ports listed in upnp such as 9307 3074 etc. I have BT Infinity , BT modem, upnp is enabled and no port forwarding rules applied. Any advice appreciated

Hi.

First of all, are you using the bt homehub as the modem? If so, enable upnp and disable upnp on the xr500. You can only have upnp installed on the 1st routing device in your network chain otherwise there will be conflicts. Once you have done this you should have upnp ports listed on the bt homehub.

mnnn. just noticed on my XR500 that nothing is showing up today when they where yesterday... (UPnP page)

i have an IPcam setup using UPnP  , its working ok but no longer showing up on the UPnP screen...weird....

Hi.

First of all, are you using the bt homehub as the modem? If so, enable upnp and disable upnp on the xr500. You can only have upnp installed on the 1st routing device in your network chain otherwise there will be conflicts. Once you have done this you should have upnp ports listed on the bt homehub.

Hello, I have the hg612 modem not the homehub, which doesn't handle upnp

• Administrators

Are the devices that would require an opened port e.g. CoD on Xbox actually online at that time? If so click the refresh button on the UPnP page. UPnP opens ports as and when they're needed so if it's not being used it may not be shown. Also are you using the XR500 DMZ?

Are the devices that would require an opened port e.g. CoD on Xbox actually online at that time? If so click the refresh button on the UPnP page. UPnP opens ports as and when they're needed so if it's not being used it may not be shown. Also are you using the XR500 DMZ?

Yes the PS4 was on at the time and then once CoD was online ( searching for a game) I clicked refresh and still nothing. As for xr500 DMZ, I will double check when I get home from work but i dont think i am. Thanks

• Administrators

Yes the PS4 was on at the time and then once CoD was online ( searching for a game) I clicked refresh and still nothing. As for xr500 DMZ, I will double check when I get home from work but i dont think i am. Thanks

I can't reproduce it at the moment, it is working for me. Have you given the PS4 a static IP either on the console or on the router itself?

I checked my NAT on COD and it was open, that was with out any static IP. But still nothing in upnp.

Then I assigned a static up via LAN settings on the xr500, rebooted console and COD then had moderate but still nothing in upnp. I realise open is what I want but I'm curious as to why nothing will show up in upnp. I am not using any ad block and using Google chrome on Windows 10.

• Administrators

It's clearly working otherwise you wouldn't have got an open NAT so it's quite weird have you changed the advertisement period or advertisement time to live?

Hard turn off the console. Turn off UPnP and apply, then turn it on and apply then try again please.

It's clearly working otherwise you wouldn't have got an open NAT so it's quite weird have you changed the advertisement period or advertisement time to live?

Hard turn off the console. Turn off UPnP and apply, then turn it on and apply then try again please.

Tried that and still nothing unfortunately and advertisement period is 30 and time to live is 4.

• Administrators

Tried that and still nothing unfortunately and advertisement period is 30 and time to live is 4.

It seems like a weird aesthetic issue as it is actually working so fortunately it is a minor error. Increase the time to live to 20 and see if it starts appearing, if not change back and then I would recommend going here and logging in: http://support.netgear.com/you then should find a number for Netgear Support, give them a call and see if they have any other suggestions. 

What settings are you using on hg612? there is a upnp option on hg612

The hg612 i was using is locked, i have an unlocked one which i plugged in and upnp on that one was turned off, still no ports like 9307, 9308 and 3074 being LISTED even though they are being opened as i have open NAT in CoD

It seems like a weird aesthetic issue as it is actually working so fortunately it is a minor error. Increase the time to live to 20 and see if it starts appearing, if not change back and then I would recommend going here and logging in: http://support.netgear.com/you then should find a number for Netgear Support, give them a call and see if they have any other suggestions. 

Yep i increased it to 20 still nothing, I also phoned netgear support and they are telling me that it is supposed to be like that. Can anyone confirm for me if CoD's 3074 port is automatically listed for them? 

I do have 2 consoles but after installation, before the second console was even turned on, I booted up the first PS4 and ran CoD and nothing was listed under upnp, I haven't tried wifi just wired, I will give it a go..

• Administrators

I do get the ports listed. The hg612 does it have a router mode? If so are you able to change it to modem mode or put the XR500 in it's DMZ? At the very least are you able to lower it's firewall/security settings?

I do get the ports listed. The hg612 does it have a router mode? If so are you able to change it to modem mode or put the XR500 in it's DMZ? At the very least are you able to lower it's firewall/security settings?

It is in modem mode, firewall is disabled on the modem, as far as i am aware there is no dmz to put the xr500 in, didnt have a problem with the r1 and upnp at all so im lost 

• Administrators

Okay well the good news is it's just an aesthetic issue as you're getting an open NAT.

Can you disable UPnP then apply it, then download/copy the log file from System Information and PM it to me please. I can take a look to see if theres anything there and escalate it. 

Okay well the good news is it's just an aesthetic issue as you're getting an open NAT.

Can you disable UPnP then apply it, then download/copy the log file from System Information and PM it to me please. I can take a look to see if theres anything there and escalate it. 

Will do, Thankyou

• Administrators

Thanks for the log file, I can't see anything out of the ordinary. 

Could you explain your full setup please so I can attempt to reproduce it? E.g. do you have a switch or a router in AP mode behind the XR500 that the console is connected to?

Buster,

Interesting... The HG612 (BT Open Reach PPPoE) modem is exactly the same model I have. The R1 opens UPnP ports reliably with it and lists those ports for all devices. What you are describing is what I have been experiencing. I have found I have to launch games in quick sucession (load, quit, re-load) to get an open NAT, and like yourself no ports will be listed on the upnp page even when increasing time to live option. Only 1 entry has ever appeared and that is for the XB1 XBL service, and nothing else.

Sim

same here Sim, i have an IPCam that should be appearing under UPnP but isnt. (plus several devices - i have many)

weirdly , at present te UPnP screen is showing My Pc as using UDP 63250 ... ? yet when i do a "netstat -noa" via cmd prompt, this port is NOT being used by anything ...? but this has been showing on the UPnP screen for a day now.

For days now, the UPnP screen has been empty on my XR500. Its as though UPnP is working but just not displaying the info....? 

same here Sim, i have an IPCam that should be appearing under UPnP but isnt. (plus several devices - i have many)

weirdly , at present te UPnP screen is showing My Pc as using UDP 63250 ... ? yet when i do a "netstat -noa" via cmd prompt, this port is NOT being used by anything ...? but this has been showing on the UPnP screen for a day now.

For days now, the UPnP screen has been empty on my XR500. Its as though UPnP is working but just not displaying the info....? 

I reported the UPnP issue, along with unreliable port triggering and port forwarding (note this in netgears menu; thus netgear software) as soon as I got the XR500. So the issue along with detailed network captures of what was happening to allow further analyse of what is happening. The suspicion is that the netgear code is using a the buggy version of upnp. Most of the open source community that produce custom firmware have reverted to the older more reliable version.