XR500 DNS Bug with iPhone

Hi,

I noticed a bug when using iPhones that are using static IP's.

When I use a iPv4 Static IP on my iPhone with *Automatic* for DNS setting on the iPhones - the Phone will not connect to the router - only resolves if I set the DNS manually on the iPhone.

Tested this with different models of iPhones and the same issue happens - works fine if I use the DCHP server 

• Administrators

Hi jb68, welcome to the forum!

I think I know what's happening here, are you just setting the static IP on the phone itself? If so the router may be getting confused. If you set a static IP for the device on the router itself does it work as expected?

Hi jb68, welcome to the forum!

I think I know what's happening here, are you just setting the static IP on the phone itself? If so the router may be getting confused. If you set a static IP for the device on the router itself does it work as expected?

Hi, yeah I set the Static IP on my iPhone for example 192.168.1.3 and have auto for DNS. it will not connect to the router unless I manually put 192.168.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for dns settings on iPhone for it to connect - this doesn't happen on any other routers - its a quick fix but took me ages to figure how it wouldn't work haha!

Okay interesting, if you set the static IP/DNS from LAN settings on the router itself does it work as expected? 

Can you explain how I do that? The DNS is already on the Router - 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 

• Administrators

Can you explain how I do that? The DNS is already on the Router - 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

It might be because the DNS you're trying to set it to has already been set in the router so it doesn't like it. Which is why setting it to the router IP works because it then allows it to pick up the set router DNS.

Sure go to Settings > Setup > LAN Setup. Then under Address Reservation click 'Add', select one of your devices then change the IP or keep it, then press add, then click apply.

It might be because the DNS you're trying to set it to has already been set in the router so it doesn't like it. Which is why setting it to the router IP works because it then allows it to pick up the set router DNS.

Sure go to Settings > Setup > LAN Setup. Then under Address Reservation click 'Add', select one of your devices then change the IP or keep it, then press add, then click apply.

Tried that and doesn't work, the workaround works fine though!