Not off to a great start...

Eventually got hold of an XR500 after some challenges. Setting up today has been an ordeal. I am R1 user so familiar with all the concepts and an IT engineer by trade. I have VDSL2 80/20 broadband in the UK. 

Here's my list.

1. Auto Internet set-up failed, does not recognise VLAN ID tag

2. Manual internet set-up failed, error message when simply entering VLAN ID tag

3. Switched to my Netgear DM200 modem in router mode to get a connection, FW disabled on DM200

4. Connected devices appear offline in device manager when they are online including the laptop I use to access the XR500 admin page

5. With QoS and bufferbloat disabled latency is appalling, my ping to www.bbc.co.uk which was a steady 20ms is now 200ms+ from my laptop

6. Added my Switch to Geo Filter and set location to UK. Filtering mode enabled. Does not work, no filtering takes place. XR500 thinks Switch is offline (see point 4)

7. Prioritised packets readout is 0, setting my Switch manually for QoS also results in zero packets. 

Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks

• Administrators

Eventually got hold of an XR500 after some challenges. Setting up today has been an ordeal. I am R1 user so familiar with all the concepts and an IT engineer by trade. I have VDSL2 80/20 broadband in the UK. 

Here's my list.

1. Auto Internet set-up failed, does not recognise VLAN ID tag

2. Manual internet set-up failed, error message when simply entering VLAN ID tag

3. Switched to my Netgear DM200 modem in router mode to get a connection, FW disabled on DM200

4. Connected devices appear offline in device manager when they are online including the laptop I use to access the XR500 admin page

5. With QoS and bufferbloat disabled latency is appalling, my ping to www.bbc.co.uk which was a steady 20ms is now 200ms+ from my laptop

6. Added my Switch to Geo Filter and set location to UK. Filtering mode enabled. Does not work, no filtering takes place. XR500 thinks Switch is offline (see point 4)

7. Prioritised packets readout is 0, setting my Switch manually for QoS also results in zero packets. 

Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks

1 & 2. Do you get 400 Bad Request? I have brought this up to Netgears Development team.

4. If they are not actually using the internet at the time they may appear as offline. Look at the Device Manager and then go on YouTube or something on one of the offline devices. You should see it switch over to LAN or one of the WiFi bands.

5. This sounds like you need to give the XR500 the MAC address of your previous router. This can sometimes happen with an ISP and installing a new router.

6. We bought a Switch so we're working on classifying it and giving it it's own type on the Device Manager. Unsure if you will be able to filter on it or not, it seems to use regions depending on the game can you see anything in spectating mode? I just tried with Mario Kart and I can see the players in my game around the UK.

7. Give the Switch the type console and you should see it update, I just tested on my one and it worked.

1 & 2. Do you get 400 Bad Request? I have brought this up to Netgears Development team.

4. If they are not actually using the internet at the time they may appear as offline. Look at the Device Manager and then go on YouTube or something on one of the offline devices. You should see it switch over to LAN or one of the WiFi bands.

5. This sounds like you need to give the XR500 the MAC address of your previous router. This can sometimes happen with an ISP and installing a new router.

6. We bought a Switch so we're working on classifying it and giving it it's own type on the Device Manager. Unsure if you will be able to filter on it or not, it seems to use regions depending on the game can you see anything in spectating mode? I just tried with Mario Kart and I can see the players in my game around the UK.

7. Give the Switch the type console and you should see it update, I just tested on my one and it worked.

1. Yes

4. They are using the internet, network monitor shows the live traffic. i had ping plotter running from my laptop and a file download.

5. Seems OK now but will keep an eye on it

6. Nothing for me, worked fine on my R1. Not tried MK yet, using Splatoon, peer to peer with matchmaking servers in US

7. Switch is set to console type, is classified as XBOX, no option to change

• Administrators

1. Yes

4. They are using the internet, network monitor shows the live traffic. i had ping plotter running from my laptop and a file download.

5. Seems OK now but will keep an eye on it

6. Nothing for me, worked fine on my R1. Not tried MK yet, using Splatoon, peer to peer with matchmaking servers in US

7. Switch is set to console type, is classified as XBOX, no option to change

4. How are they connected, via WiFi? Do you have a router in AP mode or a switch connected behind the XR500? 

6. I've sent you a PM with a hot fix firmware that may resolve the issue. I tried Splatoon the other day and had icons appearing.

7. Device type in device manager as Xbox then on Traffic Prioritization leave DumaOS Classified Games enabled and it will work. Then remove custom rule, games console showing as Xbox is just a typo.

4. How are they connected, via WiFi? Do you have a router in AP mode or a switch connected behind the XR500? 

6. I've sent you a PM with a hot fix firmware that may resolve the issue. I tried Splatoon the other day and had icons appearing.

7. Device type in device manager as Xbox then on Traffic Prioritization leave DumaOS Classified Games enabled and it will work. Then remove custom rule, games console showing as Xbox is just a typo.

4. Yes. AP connected. AP shows as connected.

6. Applied. I can now see players in spectate mode. However, I can't allow the match making servers. If i click them they just time out in the ping panel

7. OK. done.

• Administrators

4. Can you connect a device directly to the WiFi and see if it appears online correctly please

6. Put it in spectating mode for now until we can see if we're able to Geo-Filter those Switch Games

4. Can you connect a device directly to the WiFi and see if it appears online correctly please

6. Put it in spectating mode for now until we can see if we're able to Geo-Filter those Switch Games

4. Yes, they appear if directly connected

6. Why can't I just allow the servers as i did on the R1?

CHEERS

4. Okay thanks for clarifying, I will try to reproduce this myself tomorrow.

5. You should be able to now allow dedicated servers, please try again on the hot fix firmware I sent you

5. Applied the hot-fix. No joy. I can now see the servers (white triangle) but if I click them the ping window just times out so i never get a chance to 'allow' them

• Administrators

5. Applied the hot-fix. No joy. I can now see the servers (white triangle) but if I click them the ping window just times out so i never get a chance to 'allow' them

Just set to spectating mode for now, it's literally on my task list this week to finish testing the Switch so I'll be able to give you a more informed answer on whether you can properly Geo-Filter with it.

Just set to spectating mode for now, it's literally on my task list this week to finish testing the Switch so I'll be able to give you a more informed answer on whether you can properly Geo-Filter with it.

I hope it can, the R1 worked great, I'll be sending the XR500 back if it doesn't. 

Thanks again

• Administrators

Hi Happy, 

I've sent you two videos of me being able to get both Mario Kart & Splatoon 2 working after allowing blocked servers so you're actually able to keep filtering mode on. It looks like it is mostly P2P but if there are a few players outside your range they'll connect through the other players within your radius. Need to do more testing but looks like most players can be forced inside your radius. Make sure to disable auto ping host and click it yourself then wait for it to ping, I think that was the issue was that it was on auto ping but you'd be disconnected before it finished the ping.

Regarding the AP mode and wireless devices I have been able to reproduce it so I have let the Development team know about this and they have actually already figured out the cause, thanks a lot for bringing it to our attention!

Here is a workaround they provided:

• Switch off wireless device connected to AP router
  • Restart XR500 when wireless device is off
  • On the XR500 then delete the wireless device from the device manager 
  • Then turn the wireless device on and router will think its wired so you can properly utilise it on the interface

It shouldn't affect anything, Geo-Filter etc should still work it is just a visual thing on the Device Manager. As they have figured out the cause they will try to get a hot fix done as soon as possible.

Hi Happy, 

I've sent you two videos of me being able to get both Mario Kart & Splatoon 2 working after allowing blocked servers so you're actually able to keep filtering mode on. It looks like it is mostly P2P but if there are a few players outside your range they'll connect through the other players within your radius. Need to do more testing but looks like most players can be forced inside your radius. Make sure to disable auto ping host and click it yourself then wait for it to ping, I think that was the issue was that it was on auto ping but you'd be disconnected before it finished the ping.

Regarding the AP mode and wireless devices I have been able to reproduce it so I have let the Development team know about this and they have actually already figured out the cause, thanks a lot for bringing it to our attention!

Here is a workaround they provided:

• Switch off wireless device connected to AP router
  • Restart XR500 when wireless device is off
  • On the XR500 then delete the wireless device from the device manager 
  • Then turn the wireless device on and router will think its wired so you can properly utilise it on the interface

It shouldn't affect anything, Geo-Filter etc should still work it is just a visual thing on the Device Manager. As they have figured out the cause they will try to get a hot fix done as soon as possible.

Fraser, 

i have a fundamental issue, I cannot ping any hosts even with autoping turned off. I click the host triangle but in the ping window it times out, white dot spinning in a circle so i never get the option to 'Allow'. That process works fine on my R1. 

I have noticed that in spectate mode with auto ping turned on sometime it works and other times it doesn't. The ping will work initially but then it will time out with the spinning white circle. 

Will try the AP reset later.

Thanks again, 

Stu

• Administrators

Do you have the XR500 setup on your upstream hub the same as you did with the R1, e.g. DMZ? Is there an option in the upstream router preventing a ping? This can also sometimes happen when the upstream router has too strict firewall settings.

Do you have the XR500 setup on your upstream hub the same as you did with the R1, e.g. DMZ? Is there an option in the upstream router preventing a ping? This can also sometimes happen when the upstream router has too strict firewall settings.

The FW turned off upstream on the DM200, NAT is set to Open. 

I can ping anything quite happily from my laptop and use Ping Plotter without an issue. 

:-)

• Administrators

Fraser, I can get games in Splatoon now, did you update the cloud settings. Thanks if you did. :-)

Great to hear that! I haven't changed anything just yet but that is good news, thanks for the update!

Great to hear that! I haven't changed anything just yet but that is good news, thanks for the update!

Spoke too soon, the reason why I was getting in games is that Geo now does not recognise my Switch even when defined. I see the same in QoS as it does not detect traffic from the Switch. I put my Wi-FI access point is in extended mode (Netgear EX8000) and this seems to modify the MAC address so I think this is confusing the XR500. Could you ask Netgear about this? Apart from buffer bloat which i can force on i'm not able to take advantage of any of the other headline features. 

• Administrators

Yes I think we've discovered that already so have let the necessary team know. If you connect directly through the Switch does it work as expected?

As far as I know it shouldn't impact the features, just an aesthetic issue on the Device Manager, is this not the case?